Archinect
anchor

Working in US. How to get a license?

Ravi

Hi.

My name is Ravi and I live in Brazil. I was graduated in Architecture and Urbanism in 2005 and, having both American and Brazilian citizenships, I have great interest on going to work and to continue my education in US.
I wonder if anyone who reads these topics could get me started with the first steps to get a license to work in US.
I'd appreciate that...

Thank you very much.

Ravi Motta Stoutz
[email protected]

Jan 22, 07 3:14 pm
vado retro
http://www.ncarb.org/
Jan 22, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

drop your pants and bend over...

this won't be pleasant...

Jan 22, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Ravi,

You say you have dual citizenship, so you half way there. You should be able to apply for a job in any firm withouth having the pain most Brazilians have who come to this country with only a Brazilian Citizenship. They have to apply for a work permit. Since there are so many of your fellow countrymen here it is not so easy to secure one of those permits. However I belive you can show up, apply for a social security number and your up and running.

There are a number of places in the US with large Brazilian populations, so I would suggest you find one of those communities.
People with skills such as architecture, should be able to find someone who is willing to hire you, if you have any experience.

My wife is from Brazil and we do have a small practice. However we are not hiring.

Architectural registration is a whole different animal. To put it lightly it is a pain in the ass if you don't have a degree from a school in the USA.

Jan 22, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

Big pain in the ass, but you mentioned you are interested in continuing your education? If so then by getting an MArch in the US you should be able to sit for the exam once you fulfill NCARB's intern experience requirements.

Jan 22, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

If you have your USA citizenship, and you want to go to school on the cheap. Move to the State where you want to get your Masters Degree. Establish you are a resident by working for a year and then go to school. If you don't they will look at you as an international student and suck all the green blood you have right out of you. It your flush....with alot of money and don't have a worry....then apply to a private University...say Harvard, Princeton....and spend away your fortune.

Jan 22, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
Ravi

So, it's not really necessary to have a license to get a job at any Architecture Firm in US right?
Architectural registration is not my main concern for this first moment. What I need is an opportunity to work with Architecture.
Thank you for your time and tips.

Jan 23, 07 8:25 am  · 
 · 
aml

Ravi, no you don't need a license.

however, if you ever decide to do a master's and do want to get a license eventually, my advice is do not do a postprofessional program [even though you probably qualify for one]- it will not be recognized as a professional degree = it will be a pain to get your professional degree [the brazilian one] recognized. just do one more year of school and get a professional masters, [2 or 2.5 years] and save yourself the hassle.

advice from someone who took the other road- although i never did apply to get the diploma recognized, but it looked really daunting.

Jan 23, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Yea I was fighting with this thought the other day. Why? God he knows I live in paradise...love however will make you do silly things. Maybe I'll go work at Kink in SF :)

Jan 26, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: