Archinect
anchor

Reasons for switching firms/jobs/underwear

Nica

I was wondering at what point in their career people debated switching firms/jobs... And what made them want to switch.

Was it for the best?

Jan 18, 07 1:29 pm

switch #1- boyfriend worked at the same place, hilarity ensued, it didn't work out. Good switch.

switch #2- $$$$, wanted to work on better projects. Bad switch.

switch #3- verbal abuse, depression, just a terrible terrible job. Good switch.

switch #4- was working construction (really needed out of previous situation!), and decided it was time to get back into architecture. Good switch.

Jan 18, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Rationalist, Why switch #2- $$$$, wanted to work on better projects. is Bad switch?

Mine:
Swich #1: 911, lost job, good switch, better project more money.
Switch #2, lost job again, not get along with project manager, a friend refer to another company in a week. Bad switch, project mainly interior.
Switch #3, Want to do more architecture, not onlyinterior, good switch, good project, more responsibilties, better location.
Switch #4, want to do bigger project, more responsibilties, good switch, better project, mor money
Switch #5, want to do bigger project, more responsibilities, good switch, more money. bigger project.

Jan 18, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

had to......they were starting to smell something awful, so I said:

"hmmm I think it's about time to break open the emergency pack of boxer-briefs"
lol

Jan 18, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
BlueSteel

Haven't switched..... yet.

Definatly in a situation like Rationalist's #3. Have been considering a switch and am close to going insane in the process.

I do change my underwear regularly though.

Jan 18, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

Reason- because I was in a position of very high responsibility for my experience level, was learning a lot, and ended up at a firm that treated me like shit because I wanted more money and to work on better projects, which led me very, very shortly to switch #3.

Jan 18, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

1st switch - worked for engineer, felt I needed to work for an architect to learn what they do.

2nd switch - severe depression, suicidal thoughts, was the black sheep in the office

3rd switch - in the far distant future as far as I can tell.

Jan 18, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

oh, and none of the jobs I have worked have required underwear.

Jan 18, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i dont pay the light bill so the switch is always on

Jan 18, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

strawbeary, I'm convinced that we were separated at birth or something. Almost every post you make reminds me of me in some way. I'm glad to hear that my switch #3 situation wasn't that unusual, though I'm sorry that you had to go through it too.

Jan 18, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

r - your jobs didn't require underwear either? wierd.

(I'm surprised you don't remember that my first 1600 posts were about how much I hated that job, I was there for 3 years)

Jan 18, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
upside

freeballing in jeans today

no switch yet, probably will be a city/country change

Jan 18, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

lol.

switched offices 4 times, twice to return to uni...

in my case i have a good relationship with all former offices and still work with (not for) 2 of them, now and again. shifting work has been organic, never because of negative feeling in previous office. just time to move on, or result of circumstances. am maybe lucky, in comparison to raionalist and strawbeary above.

i always wear underwear. am famous for it. never know when you might be hit by a truck and it would just not be right to be found dead in dirty underwear...just think what people would say...

Jan 18, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

switch #1 - left to go to uni. great switch
switch #2 - left to finish up uni (praktikum) good switch, had opportunity to go back, but didn't want to make $700US a month. and i got to graduate (woot woot)
switch #3 - see rationalist #2, multiply times 11.7. great switch - better managers, projects, doubled salary.
switch #4 [pending] - leaving corporate b.s. for architecture (with a big A) - good switch, no more corporate accounts/t.i.'s.

people apparently like it when i wear boxer-briefs.

Jan 18, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'd be more concerned about being found alive in dirty underwear...than dead that is

Jan 18, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i don't know bout anyone else, but i change underwear everytime i change jobs, whether they need it or not...

Jan 18, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Got job out of school.

Switch #1: Started own office.

Jan 18, 07 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

And I love fresh underwear. Switch it every hour on the hour.

Jan 18, 07 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

brown underwear...to hide my mistakes

Jan 19, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 
mdler

Strawberry...give me a call

Jan 19, 07 12:41 am  · 
 · 
garpike

bad fit/bad fit/bad fit

Jan 19, 07 1:40 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Switch #1 - Got offered an all-expense paid trip to grad school.

Jan 19, 07 9:54 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

hahah mdler......

I have to say I agree with puddles, but wait....puddles, arent' you the one that is always caught without your pants???

hence the need to have clean underwear!

Jan 19, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

I'd like my next switch to be like Medusa's....

Jan 19, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

i got my first architecture job straight outta undergrad... worked there for about 18 months... it was good but not great... had a lot of responsibility relative to my lack of experience and got to design a lot of the projects that i worked on but the projects weren't great...

change #1: left for grad school

change #2: graduated and returned to the previous firm... had a lot of responsibility, client contact, and design control... the projects were a little more interesting but still not great... pay was decent...

change #3: left firm to work for the City... $15K raise (+ more raises over the last two years)... now VERY good pay... managing the design and construction of a large variety of projects ranging from playgrounds to parks to swimming pools to affordable housing to large recreation centers... i have a lot of design input during master planning phases... i have limited design input in working with the architects that we hire... i deal with a lot of bureaucracy... i've had a lot of great experience learning how public projects work which will be of great advantage in the future... i've made tons of contacts with architects, contractors, politicians, etc... i never intended on staying more than 3-5 years, but now my 2 year anniversary is coming up in march and i'm itching for a change... i want to design again (other than competitions)... also, my department was recently reorganized so that we now have a new boss and the bureaucracy and micromanaging has increased by 300% in the last month or so...

change #4: PENDING... applied for a professorship at the local university... i'm basically on hold until i find out about that possible gig (probably not 'til late february or mid-march)... if i don't get it, then i think that i'm ready to go back to private practice... i'm not sure that i'm ready to open my own firm, although i have discussed the possibility with a friend that is doing a lot of side work... i might have an opportunity to return to the old firm in a leadership role (#2 of the office)... or i also have standing offers from a few other firms where i would not be a partner/associate but would basically be the top project manager... the options are stressing me out... not to mention that i'm trying to finish the ARE asap...

Jan 19, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Switch #1 - fresh out of undergrad and 9/11 economy slowed things up and caught me in the tide.

Switch #2 - Established firm, good experience at my beginner level. Survived several lay-off's in an expanding post 9/11 economy. Poor and top heavy management structure. Saw the "good" staff jumping ship and jumped on board.

Switch #3 - To where I'm at now. Big big jump in $$$$$(30%), more proj management focused (no CAD monkeying), better benefits and healthier, deeper and more diverse client base.

Switch #4 - Powerball $200 Million, drawing this Saturday 1/20.

Jan 19, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

I'm never going to switch to boxer shorts.

Jan 19, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

Switch #1- boring job of Architectural draftsperson
Switch #2- boring job of Kitchen designer
Switch #3 - exiting job with psycho principal, 60 hours working week and toothbrush tumbler as a christmas gift.
Switch #4-.....

Jan 21, 07 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

I've got a job but what is underwear ?

Jan 22, 07 9:11 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

I guess if you don't know underwear then its how often do you change your brown trousers.

Jan 24, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

switch #1 - boss didn't like my cologne (fuck her!)
switch #2 - boss was being impeached for embezzlement
switch #3 - I'm the boss (had a stress attack 8Jan07) pending

the last one is also a good reason to change undies too

Jan 24, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

BOTS, Im a corporate rat, I wear light blue/black shirts and beige trousers.

Jan 25, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 

when last have you seen your soul...nevermore

Jan 25, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 

repent

Jan 25, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

archit, two years back, It was scattered below the stack of old timesheet printouts next to my keyboard. :(

Jan 25, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: