Archinect
anchor

AutoCad alongside study

Monolith

A very tedious question I know, so apologies in advance for asking the sort of question that would probably bore me to tears or make me irate if I was you. If you can get past that...

Not having entered first year yet and never having used AutoCad, I'd like to know an idea of how those first few tentative weeks of an undergraduate degree programme are structured. Should one be spending every evening and 'spare' second mastering AutoCad or concentrating on improving drawing ability? Will a siginificant part of early studio time be spent learning AutoCad or will that come under a class on its own? Maybe not at all? What I'm trying to get at, is beyond the syllabus content, given your experiences, what is a profitable way of using your time.

If you can filter through that lot of conflated rubbish, your thoughts please.

Jan 17, 07 8:18 am
b3tadine[sutures]

autocad is the last thing you should worry about...read and draw and build models, fine tune your skills in other areas, you'll have plenty of time to worry abot cad...

Jan 17, 07 8:25 am  · 
 · 
Monolith

Good to hear thanks beta.

Also, it sounds ridiculous to even suggest that somebody who isn't shit hot at drawing would do an architecture degree. I've always perceived drawing as a natural ability, however after having spoke to many individuals who are proficient in it, it turns out a lot of them have learnt how to draw properly. I've just acquired Ching's Architectural Graphics book and it covers some elements of drawing I've never even heard of. Would you expect the university tutors to be sympathetic to somebody who isn't as hot as some of the others or would they assume you would already be highly proficient?

Sorry, I just have a not of 'nervous' questions and feel a bit intimidated and am beginning to question my own abilities now my application has been submitted.

Jan 17, 07 8:39 am  · 
 · 
not_here

concentrate on the thinking part of design.
autocad is just another tool to show people what you're thinking.

Jan 17, 07 8:39 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

Do not even be in the same room as any harddrive w/ the scourge that is AutoCAD until you are either required to by your program or by your boss who you are working for now that you've finished school and have a job.

There is reason for this. I've seen too many of my classmates squinting at a cad screen fretting over if they should have their walls be 5 or 6 inches thick. Cad is a fine program if you know its place. It is first and foremost NOT a design program. It forces you to focus on things that are not important to making a studio project such as wall thickness. A prof isn't going to pull out a scale in the middle of your crit and tell you to move a door 7 inches. And if he does, you have every right to kick him/her in the shin.

Jan 17, 07 8:43 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes

Jan 17, 07 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Client

WHEN YOU DO LEARN AUTOCAD, LEARN THE KEYBOARD-ENTRY SHORTCUTS. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND VERY HELPFUL. TRY NOT TO FOOL AROUND TOO MUCH WITH PULL DOWNS AND ICONS, IT REALLY RETARDS THE PROCESS.

Jan 17, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
ochona

you should stay away from CAD for the first couple years of architecture school, in my opinion. to me, it's like learning arithmetic by hand in elementary school -- you need to be competent at simple math before you ask a calculator to do it for you. same with drawing.

drawing is not just a means to an end, it is an end in and of itself. you will learn to use drawing not just to express your ideas, but to explore them as well. it's a recursive process that is hard to replicate with CAD. and not as satisfying or insightful, either.

don't worry -- you will learn to draw in school. just practice at it. if you feel some need for a head start, check out "drawing on the right side of the brain" by betty edwards. it's recently been revised. that book changed my life.

Jan 17, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

why are you worried about CAD at this point? I'm in my second year undergrad, just started my first work term. Having never touched CAD previously, it took me only about two days to become fairly good at it.

Jan 17, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

I am a first year undergrad. I am also looking for an internship job this summer. I know it's very unlikely that i'll find a place to work unless I know how to do AutoCAD (which I do)...so I don't think it's all that bad to learn it on the side. Just don't let it interfere with what you're doing in your design studio

Jan 17, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

Thanks for the responses. I'm just having doubts that I'm not good enough at the moment, silly really. But I'll continue to work on my drawings and read/sketch on!

Jan 17, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

Thanks OldFogey (which I'm sure you're not!) Reassuring advice thankyou and a quality post. Are you UK based incidentally?

Jan 17, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

knowing cad will get you a job which knowing french post structuralism will not. it is no crime to take some cad classes while doing the rest of the architectural education dog and pony show.

Jan 17, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

which knowing french post structuralism will not

Ironically (how ironic!) My first UG degree contained much of this, and no I haven't managed to get a job I enjoy or want. Hence, my next great interest in life is architecture which I am ready and cannot wait to devote all my attention to.

Jan 17, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

The thickness of a wall is critical especially since what you're trying to do is illustrate an idea in 2dimensions of something that may exist somewhere in the multiple dimensions of reality. How do you show the difference between a rammed earth wall and a metal screen wall?

What autocad does offer is precision? And you shouldn't be afraid of precision. Plus I'm sure you will be able to find a bootleg copy from one of your friends.

My advice to you is find it, learn it and use it when you need to.

What is most important about drawing, however, is the idea of communication that I mentioned above for which autocad is merely a telephone.

Jan 17, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well you don't necessarily need to do cad on your studio projects i would suggest being looser. i would suggest finding a willing female art student, cover her naked body with paint, have her roll around on a large canvas and then design your building inspired by the consequences of her rolling. do the cad thing at the local vocational school.

Jan 17, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

^^ nice idea. I'll see if my female archi friends are willing to participate for my next project. I'm hoping atleast three will. holy inspiration! will get back to u.

Jan 18, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: