Archinect
anchor

thin CMU block

pecovat

Looking for a 8" x 8" CMU block (or similar) that is thin enough to be able to "lick and stick" to a conc. tiltwall panel.

Anyone out there in archinect land heard such of a thing?

Jan 9, 07 6:58 pm
snooker

Why not texture the surface with something interesting, like recycled glass instood of trying to make it look like something it isn't.

Jan 9, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

You might even want to sandblast the surface when your wall is in place.

Jan 9, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Durisol

might work for you since it's considerably lighter than CMU. It's some sort of wood composite that looks much like a CMU block. It also cuts like wood so you might be able to get it into whatever dimensions you'd like.

Like snooker, I'm not sure what you're after with this. I have yet to encounter anyone who got excited about the look of cmu.

Jan 9, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

go hollywood- vacuform styrene cmu impressions

also available in resin, fibreglass, and plaster -

from the Warner Bros Staff Shop, and if that isn't good enough, then Disney, Universal, Fox, and Paramount all want your business too.

Jan 9, 07 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

not 8x8 but your idea is not too far fetched...can you get a manufacturer to produce some? (i know i'm simplifying) i understand this, of course, will depend on the size of the order and cash and time...but might be worth checking just for knowledge...to simplify even more, it seems like just a mold change at the factory...again $$$, time, size...just throwing ideas around...

Kolumba...

completely irrelevant...but this is for rem lovers who happen to be in this thread...rem lobby renovation/museum ludwig/koln...

Jan 10, 07 2:16 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

given more thought...the manufacturer can frame the mold to produce 324 masonry blocks in one shot....four 12 footers of 2x4 forming a square...eighteen 2x4 members in one direction and 18 in another direction...that'll create an 8x8 module...spray some concrete in the molds and there you go...like i said...just simplified ideas throwing around...???

Jan 10, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

math might be off a little...

Jan 10, 07 2:53 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yeah it's off because i didn't include the thickness of the 2x4...

Jan 10, 07 3:04 am  · 
 · 
antipod

I'm sure a decent pre-caster could immitate the effect. Why are you not just using actual blocks?

Where is your honesty of materials!?

Just kidding :)

Jan 10, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: