Archinect
anchor

university application portfolio

trish

I'm currently applying for an architecture degree. Most Universities ask for a portfolio of art/ Design work. I have no idea what they expect. Please help! What kind of portfolio did you present?

Many Thanks

Trish

Jan 9, 07 3:12 pm
trish

HELP!!!!!!!

Jan 9, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Um, this topic has only been covered about a million times. There's a search function at the bottom of the main forum page.

Jan 9, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
trish

Ohhh, i'm new to the forum. I'll do that. Thank you

Jan 9, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
trish

I've done a search but couldn't find any of people applying to Architecture as a first degree so i don't have any previous work. the search engine only gives 100 treads. I'm sorry to keep asking but any tips would be appreciated. Are general drawing of objects enough?

Jan 9, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Are you applying for a masters degree? bachelors? any other degrees that you already have?

Jan 9, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
trish

No, currently work as a fitness personal trainer in London, UK. I always liked architecture and design but been in the fitness industry for 10 years. At the moment i'm doing an access course in art and design to build a portfolio but i'm not very happy with the guidance i'm getting. I'm 28 i hope i'm not too old for a career change.

Jan 9, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
cobra

I think the information you have provided may still be a little too vague.

Do you have a bachelors degree in personal fitness, or otherwise? If so, then I assume you would be applying to graduate schools, which mostly title the type of programme you would be seeking M.Arch1. This may help you find information in other threads. If you are applying for a bachelors degree, I suppose it would be more specific to the university, but I do not think the portfolio is weighed as heavily in this instance.

Jan 9, 07 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
trish

In the Uk i don't believe it's possible to apply for an M.Arch without having done a bachelors in architecture. So yes i'm applying for a bachelors. Most Universities i'm applying for do ask for a portfolio of art work.

Jan 9, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

yeah you need to tell us about your education cause that makes a huge difference. so lay it out, whatever it is, and then we can give you some feedback as to how you need to approach this.

Jan 9, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
cobra

I do not think there is an incredible amount of pressure to have tons of work/experience in architecture when applying for a bachelors degree. It is understood that there would not be much experience, and that this level is the most basic, first stepping stone. So, the portfolio is more about showing some raw talent and ability.

Jan 9, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

do the schools have any requirements? do you have any schools that you are looking at? for undergrad most schools don't really require a portfolio, atleast as far as i know. if they do then they should have some sort of guidlines to follow or specific things that they are looking for. Mostly they just wanna see creativity and maybe some ability to draw. The creativity can come from anywhere, it doesn't have to have anything to do with architecture.

Jan 9, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
trish

It's complicated becouse i did my high school in Portugal in the area of Art and Design, but that feels was a long time ago and i moved to another country so don't have any work from back then. Then i did several qualifications in fitness the latest one being a health and fitness diploma from the American college of sports medicine that is above a bachelors degree, i was able to sit for the exam becouse of my experience. Currently i'm doing an access course to art and design, it's designed for mature students (over 21) and it should help with application. That's all i've got

Jan 9, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
trish

For some like Barttlet the portfolio is essential others say that they might ask for it.

Jan 9, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Yeah I guess most of the badass schools are gonna want some kind of portfolio, since they are pretty competitive. So as far as what you should put in there....well thats really completely up to you. I'm sorry to be vague about it but thats really all I can say. If you went to an art/design highschool then I assume that you have talent in some area of art and design, so showcase that. It will also help to show some kind of hand drawing. Go get a sketch book and draw whatever you see or whatever looks fun to draw. You could even get a "how to" sketch book to learn some techniques and such. You might even go visit a school to see some of the portfolios other people have submitted to get more ideas. Just keep in mind that you are applying for undergrad and the schools are not expecting to see an amazing architectural portfolio since nobody coming into undergrad has the experience or talent to produce one.

Jan 9, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
trish

i'll do that, maybe i'm worring to much, is just that this is important for me. In this industry 28 old is an old start, so i can't waist anymore time. Thank you : )

Jan 9, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I wouldn't worry about the age. I think you will actually be in a better position because of it. You will just be more focused and will take it serious. I didn't start till I was 21 and my best friend from school was like 4 years older than me. There were a few others that were in there 30's and even 40's.

Jan 9, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
trish

It's good to know that

Jan 9, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

trish - I'm also from the UK. When I applied to my bachelors degree (it was actually an MA, but that's because it was Scotland, so it's a 4yr equivalent), every school I applied for required a portfolio. From my own experience at that stage (that being coming right out of school) I had a portfolio of my school work - A-level CDT, A level art etc.

However, you are not coming right out of school and, while you may see this as a negative, try to turn it into a positive. You have a lot more real world experience that other applicants will have had. While this experience hasn't been in the architectural/art world, there should be bit of overlap. Remember, whatever your experience, that is what you bring to the table, and architecture is concerned with every facet of the human condition - it's just a matter of how relevant you see your experience being to architecture. So you've been doing fitness for 10 years... see that as an opportunity to study the body, for instance. A better awareness of that can have implications for the tactile relationship of architecture. Twist it to meet your needs.

Try some life drawing etc. The first step (bachelors) is not expecting you to be an architect - just that you have interests pertaining to architecture. Think from an interviewer's point of view - what would intrigue you enough to think that someone would be suitable for architectural study?

I think that you have a good a shot as anyone. Good luck!

Jan 9, 07 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

trish-

archinect is the first step to changing your life. welcome and don't be afraid! 28 isn't to old and you will be in much better shape then most of your future co-workers.

Jan 9, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
leeque

Trish - if you did complete an undergrad degree (or above it?), then perhaps you should consider an M.Arch. I will also be pursuing an architectural education and have a bachelors in a seperate field. I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but in the states there are quite a few graduate programs that accept people with non arch backgrounds. I also feel like i'm older and have no desire to go through an additional 4-5 years for another bachelors degree.

Jan 10, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
trish

Thank you for all the replies, you all did make some very good points. I'm feeling more confident, i'll soon let you know what happened.

Thanks again : )

Jan 10, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

in uk that is not an option leeque.

according to arb if you go that route in usa then move to uk you will only be recognised as a part I architect (only archi-specific education counts in the system, undergrad or grad school), meaning you need another masters degree to get part II. then work awhile and study for part III (which is what you need to practice as a full-on architect ). so trish will have to start from zero.

Jan 10, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
trish

7 years in the UK, wish means i'll be 36 : 0

Jan 11, 07 6:43 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

what's the hurry?

Jan 11, 07 7:23 am  · 
 · 
Monolith

Trish- I'm based in Liverpool UK, 23 and applying to study Architecture at Liverpool University. The best advice I can give to you, is to go and do an unpaid placement at either a graphic design studio or at an architectural practice. Demonstrate, through your own independent undertaking of this and through the work that you will produce there that you are a keen and hard-working individual.

Even if you can only squeeze in one day a week, you will still learn a lot and come out much wiser about professional practice in the UK.

And as for age, you really shouldn't be worrying. I'm a devoted boulderer (rock climbing) and the current World Champion of the sport indoors is 38. Calm down, logically plan your entry to the subject and enjoy yourself!

Best of luck in your application.

Jan 11, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

i don't think age is problem trish...

good friend back in canada finished his march in late 30's...but was highly motivated and is now working in position of authority for starchitect in usa...his maturity helped i think to earn him responsibility much much faster than others...

while my experience is def limited, when i was in london doing project architect gig i felt the offices were less hierarchical than in usa, with part III people treated pretty much the same as part II. part I were treated more like interns would be in north america...but all in all ability was respected more than position in system. i was however working in small, design-y type offices, as were my friends. could be different in corp culture, but i think those 7 years are not so bad, really...

Jan 12, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
myriam
In this industry 28 old is an old start

Not true! In fact this industry more than almost any other seems to warmly embrace older "converts"... ha ha... if you do a thread search on people worried that they're too old you'll hit on a ton of people way older than you.

In fact, Harvard's GSD runs a summer Career Discovery program designed for older people to explore career change options. They frequently get people in their 50s and 60s even, so 28... is seriously way young.

As for your portfolio: include as wide a variety of media and subject matter as you've got, then take a couple days out where you live and try to just produce a lot of sketches. People, buildings, landscapes, draw whatever you see. If you have any travel sketches I'd include those too. Then call it a day.

Jan 12, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: