Archinect
anchor

scary ARB part 1 application and interview

forestfamilies

I've been reading past threads on the ARB part 1 application/interview process and am feeling increasingly frightened and intimidated. Is there anyone who has already gone through this process successfully and made it alive, unmaimed, who can provide some helpful advice (ie what kind of questions to expect at interview, things i must include in academic portfolio, what sort of armour to wear, etc). thank u thank u! any insight is appreciated to quell this trembling soul.

Dec 28, 06 5:44 pm
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Im sorry, are you speaking of the ARE (Architecture Registration Exams)??
I don't think I have heard of the ARB part 1 (for the US) is that what you are asking about?

Dec 28, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

oh...wait you must be speaking about the UK, right?

Dec 28, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
forestfamilies

oh yes, the UK Architects Registration Board examination.

Dec 28, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
I love archinect

ARB part one examinations are an alternative to obtaining your part one at a recognised school of architecture. I'm not sure what the pass rate is, but i suspect you have to put in just as much as you would have done for a three year degree. have a look at their website.http://www.arb.org.uk/

Dec 29, 06 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

forestfamilies , before you go for the interview , have a lot of cognac.
You will most probably fail if you'r drunk but atleast you wont tremble !

Dec 29, 06 8:09 am  · 
 · 
James Mayers

What's your background + reason for applying to the ARB part 1? Like ilovearchinect states, they'll expect an amount of work similar to the full BA degree...Most people avoid it due to the cost (about £1000 a pop?) and the fact that it's pretty intimidating and high-pressure I'd have thought, compared to going through school and having the workload spread and a constant stream of helpful/not so helpful advice.

The year above us all had to go through ARB due to the uni losing ARB accreditation - it seemed to be about an hour or less face to face interview with portfolio..varying degrees of scariness, I think, depending on whether people had the kind of work the ARB were looking for (does their website help on this?)

I'd go for treated leather Brigandine armour - more flexible, allowing greater ease of movement.

Dec 29, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 
forestfamilies

i was actually thinking more along the lines of a bulletproof vest.

heres my story, i have a BA in architecture from University of California Berkeley, worked for about a year, and really want to get my diploma in London (AA or bartlett). ive just applied so i wont find out whether i got in for a few months, but now that i'm starting this ARB application- it seems to be the biggest roadblock to going to school in London. i have no doubt that my BA is equivalent (i didnt spend my entire college career with sleepless nights in studio for nothing) to a UK BA. but from what i'm discovering through bdonline and here is that ARB seems to have a covert agenda making it exceedingly difficult for international students, to the point of deterring people from even trying at all. determined as i am, i dont know if all my effort preparing to go to school has been futile with this xenophobe ARB. BUT the optimist in me needs to try anyhow

sooooooo thanks everyone for the bits of advice. i need every morsel.

Dec 29, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

forest - do you know what the closing date is for bartlett M.arch applications? I had been told it was some time in March, but I'm not 100% on that.

Dec 29, 06 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
forestfamilies

there is no set deadline actually, but this is what i know about the diploma program.

Dec 29, 06 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

There is no set deadline cos all they want is your money.

Dec 29, 06 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

haha - fortunately I'm from the UK, so if I was to get in they'd actually be my cheapest option!

Until I graduate of course...then the loan repayments kick in *sigh*

Dec 29, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: