Archinect
anchor

Stories - First job post-graduation

meowmeow

I'm currently in the process of revamping my resume and portfolio in preparation for my first job after graduation. I've heard lots of things about your first job being your most important and setting you up for future jobs, etc. I guess I was wondering how everyone found a job - how long it took, when you started looking, if it really had an impact on future jobs and the like.

Any stories or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 26, 06 11:17 pm
WonderK

First job, the most important? Bullsh*t.

Technically, my first job post-graduation in 2002 (I got a BArch, mind you) was at a 10-person residential firm. They looked good on paper but when I got there, I found out that they used 7-year-old computers, irrelevant software, didn't like me wearing headphones, oh, and they were evangelicals. The funny thing about evangelicals is that they evangelize.....like trying to talk to me about Jesus while I am sitting quietly trying to eat lunch. The panic attacks started on Day 2 of my employment there.....I gave my two weeks notice after two weeks, and had another job lined up. Praise Jesus!

PS. I am hoping that my first job post-graduate degree is life-changing, as you imply. Quite honestly though, it was a terrible time to get a job and I was lucky to even get an interview....

Dec 26, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I got my first job a week after graduation. Six students applied and I ended up getting the job. It helped a lot that I was recommended for the job by one of my professors who is good friends with my boss. Recommendations go a long way.

I work at a pretty small firm (currently seven people) and it's great. I get to experience every aspect of every project which has helped me to learn the whole process of building and the role of an architect. So I would recommend trying to get in at a small firm for that reason.

I have some friends that work at larger firms and they are doing the same thing every day. Seems like that is pretty normal, though I never worked for a large firm. I do, however, think it's very important to experience both sides, large and small, and I plan on working at a large firm after or during grad school.

No matter what route you go just make sure that the firm has a fun atmosphere and has updated software and computers and stuff. The job that wonderK described sounds horrible and I would have done the same thing she did.

Goodluck!

Dec 27, 06 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I worked as an intern in Pittsburgh, PA and the first thing they had me do while I was in my nice new suit was to go to the site with a hardhat and count the rebar in the columns of a building before they poured in the concrete. I ruined my first suit and they were laughing their asses off.

Dec 27, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: