Archinect
anchor

Preparing for grad school

hitman

Hello everyone,

I am 23 and am going to pursue my M.Arch. I have a BS in mathematics and have no other prior experience relating to the architecture field. Now my plan so far for the next year before applying for admission for fall '08 is to take freehand drawing classes, an architectural history class, introduction to architecture class and take the GRE in the fall. I am planning to include photographs in my portfolio so I am definitely going invest time in enhancing those skills. Will this be sufficient enough?

Dec 26, 06 2:10 pm
jwnam

wow you sound just like me, except 2 years ago. i too have a BS in math, and didn't have any experience in architecture. i took a year of studio classes, an architectural history course, and drafting courses at a local junior college prior to applying for grad school.

i personally feel that taking architecture courses is to develop your own skillset in preparation for grad school, drawing plans, sections, etc and thinking spatially. in terms of portfolio, it might be more beneficial to take a few art classes - you might have more material to actually use to compile your portfolio.

in preparing for grad school i sometimes wish i took a few graphic design courses, and taught myself some of the software used in architecture school. i am now 1.5 years into my m.archI program and i feel caught up now but it was difficult in the beginning not knowing certain kinds of software.

Dec 26, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
hitman

thanks for the response, and let me tell you its a sigh of relief to actually hear someone who has experienced what I will go through I really haven't been able to talk to anyone to get advice, I will definitely make time to learn software

Dec 26, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Most of what you'll need is a visual body of work that will make your portfolio good. While it is important to understand architectural drawing methods, it isn't by any means the most important because it doesn't reflect on you or your talents. Anyone could learn how to draft and that is why there are so many draftsmen out there.

I agree with what people were saying about taking art classes. Take things like freehand drawing classes, figure drawing, painting, sculpture, and ceramics. This is where hints of your creativity will emerge.

Oh and I went to grad school with a few people who had math backgrounds and their work was solid. They caught on really quickly and their math ability got them right through all the structural engineering classes you'll need to take.

Dec 27, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: