Archinect
anchor

transferring grad schools? anyone done this?

jeremymm

Im not worried about getting in so much as transferring credits so my year in current grad program wont be a complete waste. Specifically 2 year M Arch I programs at Columbia, GSD and the like. Im hoping enough credits will transfer so that I can do this with the shortest amount of added semesters (unless the $$$ is right.)

anyone been through this?

(Dan, I already know what you think.)

Dec 24, 06 5:38 pm
Katze

I'd double check, but I don't believe GSD accepts transfer credits for work completed at another graduate school.

Dec 24, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
med.

They never accepted any transfers in the grad program i was in, but I did hear they let some tulane students come in post Katrina.

Dec 25, 06 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
future hope

I don't think you will be able to transfer into any of those grad programs. I transferred out of the GSD, but I went back to the same school I did undergrad at. I was able to transfer credits because they knew me and my work. Other schools would not accept the transfer credits...

Dec 26, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

could we bring this topic back up for discussion? how do transfer credits between gsd, yale, columbia work? are they typically granted? if not, why?

Mar 25, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

There are a bunch of older threads on this.
Here's one:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=5293_0_42_0_C

Mar 25, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Why would you want to transfer if you already completed a year? Just curious...

Mar 25, 08 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

'cause sometimes after that first really horrible year when everything went to hell because of this and that and those other things, 2.5 more years of the same thing would simply be torture. like you believe that kittens are cutest creatures ever but your professors make you skin a lil' kitty every day during studio.

school is part evil part, uh, um, awesome? but sometimes you end up in a situation that you hoped would be one thing (totally inspirational all the time) and it just ends up relentlessly sucking the life out of you. and sometimes, life pulls us away in a different direction ...

... to speak from personal experience.

credits do not always transfer. every school has a unique curriculum and some will accept previous credits without question, others might let you transfer some of the credits, and others will want to completely overwrite your impressionable mind.

Mar 25, 08 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Most graduate school don't transfer credit at all, under any circumstances.

Mar 25, 08 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
otis151

Forget about this!!! Having just graduated from Columbia I can tell you that advanced placement is almost impossible and I would imagine that Harvard is the same way. I knew someone who transferred from GSD into Columbia three year program and had to start all over again...with the acception of some history theory transfer credits. You may get some credit from tech or history courses but forget about getting studio credit. Ivys want to reeducate you and you must go through the process. Either stay where you are and try for a post professional degree or expect to start all over again....and not save any money in the process.

Mar 25, 08 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: