Archinect
anchor

Details for Beginners

Tilwaz

Hi,

I recently started my first internship and I've been feeling overwhelmed by how much technical knowledge I'm lacking. Because the firm is small, there isn't anyone

to answer my questions. The principal's often busy (that's an understatement) and when he's not, he'd rather ignore me or express disgust that I don't know the

answer already.

I'm having the most trouble with construction document details. I've learned the hard way that most of the time I have to rely on myself to figure out the answer, but

where to begin? I check the Sweet's Catalog under specific subject headings, the Architectural Graphic Standards book, sometimes product manuals or websites

to figure out basic details. The last course of action has been to call a contractor or consultants. What I'm surprised by and worried about is that it often takes a

long time to find a detail I need, almost to the point where I think I'm in danger of losing my job. Is there a way to streamline the process? Some storehouse of

details I don't know about? Do other people, just starting out without much practical experience, seem to have this problem too or is it just that I'm inept?

Researching on how to put something together is different from researching for an essay; too bad I didn't know this earlier.

Please if anyone can help; Am I overlooking anything for product research? Am I even looking in the right books? For people like me who drawing details doesn't

come naturally or easily, how do I improve and learn more without having to ask or call others? How did you learn in the beginning? Right now, I can't even find how

a plain round wooden column is attached to a ceiling and the floor.

Aug 1, 04 8:21 pm
Ormolu

The firm's own previous drawing sets are often very good sources. Most firms tend to repeat themselves quite a lot.

Make sure you're not detailing things that don't need details. A "plain round wooden column" is not something for which I'd usually do connection details - unless there's an unusual condition. I'd usually just specify the column with a note and refer to the manufacturer for installation standards (for instance if it is a Chadsworth column you could probably get the details from the Chadsworth catalog or web site, but unless there's something unique about the particular application you can usually just cover this in a note.)

Aug 1, 04 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

here's the thing i feel that the manufacturers are some of the most underutilized resources for details - i mean it's their product they should know how it works, makes sense right? - not only that, but keep in mind that these guys want you to use their product so they will bend over backwards trying to answer your questions. never, ever feel that any question is too stupid to ask, the only stupid questions are the ones that never get asked. never assume that you know or are supposed to know everything and never assume that anyone else knows everything. i have sat in a room with mftr and associate and the associate asked seemingly obvious questions of the guy - even the guy seemed to think so - so i thought why, it occured to me that to assume anything would put him and the firm at risk and by asking all the questions nothing would be left out of the equation, not to mention that i might learn something.

i personally hate graphic stds ching is much better and lighter. keep this in mind, it is a GRAPHIC standard, and not a detail standard.

time saver standards are good, the german mag Detail is good, and like others will tell you checking wha the office has done previously is good as well.

another thing to remember is that when it comes to certain products and details the manufacturer provide they are the mftr's minimums to maintain the warrantee so look at the detail, think about the detail and ask questions and demand more than the minimum - especially when dealing EPDM contractors.

lastly, if your fuck of a boss won't help a new intern, fuck him and create your own details, that jerk-off is signing the drawings and its his liability if they fail, not yours. this won't be last job you have so don't worry, you will find more willing to help educate you than you will pricks who won't.

Aug 1, 04 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

You might also think about switching jobs... I know that sounds drastic, but any architect with a small firm who will hire someone with little experience and expect them to do construction details with no help is not really someone you want to learn from. In my experience the best way to learn how details work is either from an older and very experienced designer/architect who is willing to take the time to explain why things are done a particular way, or from the contractor/builder (and sometimes product reps). I have worked in a larger office where the details were done willy nilly by inexperienced designers and either copied from previous projects without an understanding of why they were using a particular detail, or crazy "design" details that were just a waste of time because they went way beyond the budget/scope of the projects or just wouldn't work. There is no point in filling sets with details that are there just for the hell of it - if it can't be done in a way that makes sense and works then let the builder figure it out (gasp!) We have ended up doing design/build because we realized we were wasting our time trying to detail anything (in terms of aesthetics mostly), because the contractors, even decent ones, would just do it the way they were used to or preferred, etc. and it drove us crazy. Even when we are working on projects ourselves, we often design details that don't work in the field and have to be modified. Of course it depends what you are talking about - there are many "standard" details for different construction types and applications that have more to do with avoiding leaks, cracks, etc. and these kind of details are found in the manuals and books you've described. Manufacturer's details are invaluable as well - if for example you are working on window details and working with a specific manufacturer you can call them and explain the walltype you are using and what you want the detail to look like and see what standard details they have and have them give you suggestions for modifications if necessary. But I really feel that the best way to learn is through practice working with someone more experienced, and it sounds like your boss has a scary attitude when it comes to CDs.

Aug 1, 04 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
FlowB

rob thallon's "graphic guide to wood frame construction" is a great resource for getting the basics of wood framed construction.

ching's "building construction illustrated" is not bad either.

i love detail magazine, and there is plenty to learn, yet if you are in the states, things are different.

Aug 2, 04 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yep, your boss is an idiot who is not treating an intern properly - there is a reason young architects have to do an internship and that is to learn. If your boss isn't willing to hold up his end of the internship tradition than he should stop friggin' hiring interns!

That being said - it doesn't seem like impressing this boss is high on your list of priorities, what you want is to learn. Don't be afraid to draw something - anything - that you can plot out and show to your boss or anyone else in the firm who might be able to help. The hardest part of detailing is getting the first iteration on paper. Once you have some basic sketch - even if it just shows the relationships of major components to one another, no fasteners, no insulation, no flashing, etc. etc. - you have a tool for discussion. Layers and layers of trace later, you'll have a workable sketch that you can draw hardline (or in the computer).

Just don't be embarrassed about putting the wrong answer down on paper, because that's the first step in the process that eventually gets you to the right answer. Visual thinkers need something to look at to work out an answer, so if you come to someone with a drawing - any kind of drawing that is your best guess at how to build it - they'll be able to start working from that point rather than starting from zero.

And really, this sounds like the boss' problem, not yours. You just need to try to make this experience as educational for yourself as possible.

Aug 2, 04 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: