Archinect
anchor

synaesthesia

Puyi

I’m currently working on ideas of synaesthesia were different entities of intensity and response are weaving the city/a place to an intuitive pervasive experience together. Basically this principle/pattern/modality adjusts and changes spatial condition based on movement, change of temperature (weather and seasons) and the common senses. I want this sensory modality to be an interactive stimulus triggering another experience, and another experience etc. I’m thinking of a 3 dimensional scape as element of convergence.

Do you have any symbiotic experiences you want to share? synaesthesic metaphors? any comments/opinions are welcome.
thanks

http://www.ilovedesigners.com/publish_detail.php?pid=628477

Dec 23, 06 10:33 am
surface

A highly paid razor blade when the lover is righteous, a spartan tripod brainwashes the pork chop related to another crank case. Sometimes a turkey trembles, but a cowboy over a hockey player always pours freezing cold water on a surly hole puncher! Some asteroid over a rattlesnake plans an escape from the false reactor some vacuum cleaner. A cheese wheel self-flagellates, and the defendant feels nagging remorse; however, the polar bear pees on the cyprus mulch behind a cowboy. The ball bearing, a bartender near a turn signal, and a ravishing eggplant are what made America great! The self-loathing industrial complex. If the minivan about a pine cone usually competes with a mortician over the support group, then a skyscraper hides. Any sandwich can accurately sanitize an imaginative deficit, but it takes a real fruit cake to avoid contact with the scythe. The cab driver ostensibly is a big fan of a grain of sand. A hockey player seeks a steam engine. Now and then, an asteroid near a paper napkin pees on the boiled warranty.

Oh wait, I thought this was the poetic spam thread.

Dec 23, 06 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Hehe. I agree, Susan. I mean, I think I understand what you're saying Puyi, and Synaesthesia is a lovely word (meaning: a. A sensation in one part of the body produced by stimulus to another part b. Agreement of the feelings or emotions of different individuals , as a stage in the development of sympathy - sO.E.D.) especially b, which sounds a lot like love, but this style of language really fails to convince me: in fact, it's highly off-putting.
Also, what you seem to be describing is how an environment / the city is a place of multiple stimuli which effect responses in the individual. This highly varied and complex interaction is already present. Therefore, having identified this as an area of interest, what are you actually proposing?

Dec 23, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

how about a connection to neurasthenia?
anson rabinbach wrote a great piece on it.

then you can bring proust and freud into mix.

Dec 23, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

and through the fanlight
flies the fanmail
like a pigeon
with a fantail

blue blue blue
past tense of blow
go go
launch to the kitchen T
me me me
buttons suck
out of luck
until it's over again, fence
hence, a believer beaver
yet neither
sex machine changes
over prairie ranges

Bei Mir Bist Du Stupid

Please check your posting for spelling. If there are no changes, press [store]. Otherwise change your posting below and [preview] again.

Dec 23, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I've been lead to believe that "synesthesia" is a "disorder" of the senses, in which the mind gets "confused" by stimuli. For example, someone with synesthesia will eat a strawberry and see red or hear a piano and smell chocolate.

I think there was a conference at Penn a few years ago that explored this topic.

Dec 23, 06 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
anti

I saw a movie at the montreal fantasia festival that dealt with and had the title synesthesia, it was interesting and the score was great. I recommend it. Japanese first time director.

Dec 23, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
I love archinect

there was a brilliant BBC documentary on this with amazing CGI to help the view visualise on what these people experience, there was one woman who could visualise numbers as a keyboard around her. Another man would taste words, and names. e.g. "Billy" would be salty e.t.c. he worked in a Pub and would sometimes recoil when people's names were shouted.

Dec 23, 06 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

hi

man, i love the beeb.

Mind of a Mnemonist is a funny little book about synesthaesthesia in the vein of Oliver Sacks. Ollie Sacks who as also made a name dealing with your garden variety of neuroscience quirks. Whats nice about this book by Luria is that it talks about the connection between synesthaesic esperiences and memory. Perosnally though, I think the vaguness and unquantifiable nature of synesaesthesia makes it more useful as an inspiration and less as something you actively cite or use as an argument.

The Man who Tasted Shapes is another good one recommended by a colleague but that I never got around to reading.

But when in doubt, just Derive.

Dec 23, 06 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: