Archinect
anchor

DWELL Magazine Subscriptions SUCK

somearchitect

I am so angry at Dwell, I thought I'd post the nightmare of their customer service. BUYER BEWARE.

I changed my address in August, and they said they were unable to send THREE MONTHS worth of issues because the "address labels had been printed". The compensated by extending my subscription for three months and then RENIGGED THEIR OFFER. They also said back issues take 3-4 weeks to process. Well, its now been seven, and I haven't seen anything.

Not to mention defensive customer service... read below. i just thought I'd let you know how much these people SUCK.

Thank you for contacting Dwell.

Your address change was processed on August 31. At that time the labels for the October and November 2006 issues had already been prepared.

Because our address labels are prepared in advance, it is necessary to notify us several weeks prior to an address change in order to ensure continuous delivery.

If you had a forwarding order on file with your post office, they should have forwarded the issue to you.

Replacements for these two issues were processed on November 21. Please allow three to four weeks for delivery.

Your previous subscription expired with the November 2006 issue.

Your renewal notice did not arrive in time for uninterrupted service.
Your renewal subscription was entered on our files to start with the February 2007 issue and continues through the December/January 2008 issue.
If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. To ensure your future concerns are handled in a timely fashion, please include all previous e-mail correspondence.

Dec 21, 06 3:32 pm
holz.box

as is said...
vote with your feet.

otherwise start your own rag.

Dec 21, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
dia

What a joke - this is shocking.

Dec 21, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

man, did anyone else get those sweet address labels from dwell?
i love mine!
it almost made me want to send out holiday cards.

but, uh, yeah...sorry about your subscription pains dude.

Dec 21, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I have been getting Dwell for about a year now. I recently moved, and when I contacted Dwell, they told me the same thing, that the address labels were printed in advance and they would begin sending to my new address right after that. Well, everything worked out fine. The post office forwarded the next couple of issues, and the address was changed right after that. I'm sorry to hear about your issues, though.

I hope this doesn't cause you to stop getting Dwell. It is by far one of the best magazines to ever grace my coffee table.

Dec 21, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

one day i just started getting that mag in the mail, never paid for it or recieved as a present,
and still coming,

Dec 21, 06 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
knock

BTW, tiger, i believe it is reneged (just don't want any hassle for you coming from the n-word in the middle of your spelling)

Dec 21, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Archinecture

big deal, quit crying. that magazine is pretty lame anyways.

Dec 21, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
postal

how bout all the DETAIL subscribers that only get half of them?

Dec 21, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I have no pity for those that can afford a subscription to Detail...

I used to really like Dwell back when it first came out. They definitely get props from me for exposing modernism and the value of design to the masses. A lot of our clients come to us with fistfuls of clippings from Dwell.

Nowadays, Dwell seems to be focusing less on modern in favor of trendy, hipster doofus-ness. While I appreciate their attempts to push a green(er) agenda, it comes off as a fad in their magazine. It doesn't help matters either that they pimp out a lot of their advertising to Hummer and other car companies.

For me, Dwell now represents a hipster, GenX version of Architectural Digest...

I'll still keep my subscription though! :)

Dec 21, 06 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i only got 1/3 of my wettbewerb aktuell subscription and the staff blew me off repeatedly.

i had a similar issue w/ detail.

i've also had significant problems w/ Arq. Viva & El Croquis.

Dec 21, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

every issue of dwell is the same...you probably didnt miss much. I'm sure there was an article about a young, hip, vespa riding graphic designer, his Asian wife, there cute kid and a dog living in a 1800 sq ft house with cement fiber board cladding...

Dec 21, 06 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

wow, so even people with bad spelling are potential racists these days?

not a 'knock' on you knock, just an observation on how ridiculous our sensitivities seem to have become.

Dec 21, 06 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

mdler makes a good point. that's all i can think about when i think of dwell

broc, i dont think that statement has anything to do with race, just a lot to do with majority . . . and your on an internet forum, fukc speling

ps your statement/question makes no sense within the context

Dec 22, 06 4:08 am  · 
 · 
207moak

Why subscribe to dwell?
..the Design Within Reach catalog is free.

Dec 22, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

You all are making me feel guilty for getting my parents a gift subscription to Dwell for Christmas. But then, they think Architectural Digest is a serious trade journal, so Dwell will be a step up for them.

Dec 22, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

dwell is not a serious trade journal...

Dec 22, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
mdler

their, there

Dec 22, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Gin...funny thing is when you make the Cover of Architectural Digest, they send you a hard bound copy. I have one on my library shelf gathering dust. I would never think of showing it to a potential client, but I do show them my own pictures and do mention the clients name, cause I like to see how people react.

Dec 23, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: