Archinect
anchor

Autocad text/mirror/xref problem

JerkStoreCalling

So, I'm working on a project that has two buildings - one with the mirrored floorplan of the other. For the plan outline of the second building, I'm xref-ing and mirroring the plan for the first. It should be working smoothly, except the text also mirrors, and setting the mirrtext variable to 0 seems to have no effect once the text is in the xref. Is there any way around this? Right now, I'm looking at having a second set of dimension strings, which creates a lot more work and potential for error, which I'd like to avoid. Any suggestions?

Dec 20, 06 5:24 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

don't put text in an xref.

Dec 20, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

mirror the actual drawing in model space...when you xref a drawing, it behaves as if it's a block...

Dec 20, 06 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
JerkStoreCalling

Alright, yeah, I was hoping to have the plan for the second building dynamically update itself as I make changes in the first building. My solution for now is to xref then mirror all the non-text layers, and mirror-then-xref the text layers. At least that way, I get some dynamic updating. I was hoping there was an autocad trick to get around it.

Dec 20, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

Mirror everything but the text while it is an xref. Then copy the text over into your new mirrored 2nd building. Then double click on the 2nd building that is currently an xref, this will bring up the xref options, or type "refedit" and select the 2nd building. Depending on what version of CAd you are running a little floating toolbar should appear when you start editing you xref (there are about 4 icons on it) One of those icons allows you to add elements to the working set (ie add things to the xref that are not currently in it). I'm not sure what the icon looks like, just scroll over each one on the taskbar and teh description should pop up. Click this icon, then select all the text that you copied over from the first building and hit enter. The text and building should both now be in the same Xref. Hope this makes sense and is kind of what your looking for.

Dec 20, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

sounds like another classic case of OE

Dec 21, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
jjh

i have the same problem. the easiest way i found was to work on one building and doing a save as for the other building. i know this has the potential for disaster, but refedit blah, blah, blah was causing more problems than just doing the save as.

Dec 21, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: