Archinect
anchor

on avoiding suicide / getting a decent job

chatter of clouds

"detailing and code compliance can be as much a part of design (as creative act) as the preliminary design phase of a project. probably more important really" - jump

absolutely and it should be. though i would drop the 'more important' since that sounds a bit silly. furthermore, detailing a design still falls within the scope of design though most firms deem this as an excercise in supplementing their scheme with a religious set of catalogued standards, virtually sterilizing their designs. save time, save money, much tested.
the schematics of the detail might even precede the schematics of the greater architecture: mies, pawson, scarpa, grimshaw...insert. however, the experience i'm gaining is also telling me that many of the buildings churned out are pronounced creatively dead from the get go...let alone their details.

i find vado's monochromatic rendering of the 'reality' of practice disturbing. no, this is not 'reality'; his is a chosen and reductive sieving of a greater compexity. i know very well how much time is spent coordinating with the mechanical/electrical/structural facets...but this is the effective (and not so effective) technical sieve and hardly the ideological noise vado makes it out to be.

in any case, if someone lives in a concrete mixer, then of course s/he will regurgitate cement.

Dec 23, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you are failing your slump test.

Dec 23, 06 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: