Archinect
anchor

The Day You Became a Not-Underling

some person

After 9 1/2 years of being "the intern," "the help," "that girl," "unimportant," "just a CAD monkey," I am proud to report that I am not an underling anymore!

The reason: today I received a corporate holiday card from my client. For the first time ever. Not addressed to the firm in general. Not addressed to the project team. Just me. I'm on "the list." And my name was spelled right, too.

(I'm delighted about the smallest things in life, sometimes.)

So when was it that you realized that were were not an underling anymore?

Dec 14, 06 10:04 pm
some person

Rather, "So when was it that you realized that you were not an underling anymore?"

Dec 14, 06 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

when the client specifically requested that i fly to philly (brandywine country) to check on the progress of the construction to make sure design was getting built right. i was picked up by a limo. i was in my late twenties. these people bought franklin mint and a nearby large farm called franklin farms and we were doing their indoor pool and spa attached to a real bad stucco building with a fake tower in venetian (?) style. i got real drunk with the owner of the historical bed and breakfast i was staying and slept with her that night. it was like a sexual fantasy came true. in the morning, she gave me a frank furness book i still have. word got out and my decorator boss was jealous for she had hots for me too. even though we were the decorators, the architectural firm followed our designs and did the cd's. i felt sorry for them. being the only architecture educated person in the company gave me a lot of design responsibilities when it came to designing spaces and moving walls etc. my boss was a real good decorator from whom i learned a great deal of interiors know how and how to interact with exclusive clients. later on, i heard robert venturi saw the addition at a party and made a positive comment on the design.

DCA, good for you and congratulations.

Dec 14, 06 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
AP

yes, congrats DCA.

and damn abra, that's quite a story.

-the underling

Dec 14, 06 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Thanks AP and abra.

I'm not sure if I totally believe abra's story... is it true or just the next episode of abracadabra, faia?

Dec 14, 06 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

sounds legit to me. i'm not even drunk and i already want to sleep with abra

Dec 14, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
joshua

i already hit it.

Dec 15, 06 2:28 am  · 
 · 
joshua

okay no i didn't....but venturi was at a party and told everyone i did.

Dec 15, 06 2:29 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Ew.

Dec 15, 06 2:30 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

DCA, I had a very similar story.Two years after college, some executive director or something gave me a festival greeting card addressed to me.name etc written properly.

i was elated till the next day when I pass him by and he beckons to me : " Hey boy ! ,which dept you work ? "

Yes ,like spam mail, small things do matter in Life.

Dec 15, 06 2:45 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

The day I was invited to a client meeting and introduced as a job captain.

After about 16 months and a couple of more senior "junior staff" left. I was also identified as a "leader" among the junior staff. Hopefully said recognition and designation reflects itself on my paychecks.

Like I said before: I can dream, can't I?

Dec 15, 06 11:32 am  · 
 · 
some person

I suppose persistence pays off, as well as rising to the occasion when your boss jumps ship.

Dec 15, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: