Archinect
anchor

chances- MIT

charms84

ok... i need a little perspective here... what are my chances of getting into MIT?
female
dominican
gpa 3.6
lets not talk about the GRE (360-750)
toefl 267

be honest

Dec 12, 06 11:55 am
robust84

that verbal gre score is pretty bad but maybe they'll cut you some slack since you're not from an english speaking country. so it comes down to whether or not you have a killer portfolio and a compelling essay.

Dec 12, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
charms84

thank you robust! yes i know it's REALLY BAD... but english is not my native language... i hope they take that in mind

Dec 12, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
emilyrides

Hmmm. I had a higher G.P.A. and a higher GRE, plus 5 years relevant work experience, and I didn't get in. I applied last year. I swear at the ultra competitive schools they pick names out of a hat, because I have a friend with a 3.3 GPA and GRE about the same as mine and she made it in. It's all a mystery to me.

Dec 12, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

It's all about the portfolio and essay. As I understand it, the GPA and GRE are about the last things they look at.

Dec 12, 06 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Living in Gin, thats pretty true. I talked to one of the grad admission people at UCLA and he told me that there is a small group of applicants who have such amazing portfolios that they don't even look at there other stuff, they are just in. Then there is an equal size group of applicants whose portfolios are so bad that no matter what there grades they are, they are out. Then there is a large middle ground who all have descent portfolios and they start to look at other things to weed people out. Maybe at some point you get people that are so close in talent and skill that they probably do draw out of a hat. Who knows.

Dec 12, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

i haven't applied to any of the "better" schools but when i was going through the application process for undergrad, and once in was told the same by grad students...grades/test scores, etc. can be somewhat minimal in the selection process. life experience and demographic goals for the program, along with of course portfolio, are key.

my gpa from high school was extremely low, i had to re-take my SATs years later to meet the general university requirements, but besides my portfolio what really helped me get in the program was that i was an older student who could bring different viewpoints to the table and help round out the discussions.

being female is still helpful in applying to the programs, being of a non-european/american heritage is also helpful since this profession is still pretty domintated by white males.

it's worth a shot yes? and we'll all celebrate with you when you get accepted in to this crazy but worthwhile profession!

Dec 12, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
charms84

thank you ChAOS! :O) ... i wont ever know if i dont try it...

Dec 13, 06 6:34 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Charm...turn up the charm....go for it!

I always think of my family physician. He was accepted to Harvard
Medical School and also to the University of Chicago... He took the later cause he didn't think he could crack the nut for Harvard. Well long story short...he felt he could have done better...reached farther...done more in Medicine and Globally...for man kind.

I worked in an office of MIT people when I was a youngster....and damn they were a fine group of people. A friend of mine worked in
admissions at the graduate level but not for architecture for another
MIT Program...and yes .... I think it could be a mind expanding experience....so lock on those rocket propelled boots ... and take the ride....I don't think you will be dissapointed!

Dec 13, 06 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
charms84

i'm all blushed ;O) thank you snooker

Dec 14, 06 9:29 am  · 
 · 
saveimgx

Charms

Go girl!.....show what a mangú fueled workstation and passion can do.....portfolio!

Dec 21, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Going along with what cpnorris said, from what I know, MIT makes it a point to create classes with a diverse group of people from different academic backgrounds. So I wouldn't worry too much about your scores.

Dec 22, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 
DEVicox

MIT is pretty easy to get into.

i'm (of course) assuming you have beautiful work.

Dec 22, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: