Archinect
anchor

Architectural Lighting Design

sid1

I would like to know from fellow archinectors, how many have worked on projects where there was an involvement of lighting designers. Normally do architectural firms employ lighting designers in-house or usually is it an external design firm that works on projects. I am interested in getting first-hand feedback on what has been your experience working with lighting designers, especially lighting architects. Who in your opinion is the best in the markets that you are working in. It would be great if you could mention the geographical location of the markets.

I am a budding lighting architect and would like to get some feedback from others in the hardcore architectural profession on what is their take on such dedicated alternate design disciplines.

Dec 11, 06 4:09 am
strlt_typ
Dec 11, 06 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

A lot of that depends on the lighting knowledge within the particular design firm. On a lot of projects, we have used lighting consultants, and from their information, applied to other similar projects. However, when there is a specfic lighting effect or ambience we want to create, it is important to use a lighting consultant in order to make the actual light truly work in a way that was intended or imagined in the design phase.

One time, we actually got in trouble because the lighting of a workspace was insuffucient; lots depend on the functional importance of light. IT can destroy or make a space glorious, especially in our technological-savvy and spec-heavy architecture world we live in...

If you want names of firms that ive had great experience with in nyc, feel free to email me...they are actually one of the types of consultants i have had a proactive experience, and actually has helped much to make the projects we work on a success. (as opposed to many other types of consultants, particularly engineering consultants).. hehe

Dec 11, 06 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
jhuanger629

Any interest in landscape accent lighting?

Oct 4, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: