Archinect
anchor

Get cool stuff built

ralphyson1001

Any suggestions from all you stars out there? How do you get good, contemporary architecture built?

A. Turn down clients that aren't willing to conform to my architectural paradigm.

B. Be an architectural prostitute but try to add the "special touches" here and there.

C. The clients I want seek me out because of my paradigm.

D. The only good thing I've designed is a dog house!

E. I decided to work at Burger King instead.

Dec 7, 06 12:32 pm

Start with B, hopefully move on to C, which will allow you to do A.

Dec 7, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

get clients who have lots of $$$, but dont have the time to be involved in the design of their projects

Dec 7, 06 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

post a pic of that doghouse...

Dec 7, 06 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

What rationalist said.

Dec 7, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
postal

B+A: find bread and butter... but actively seek the "dream jobs"...

when dream jobs become bread and butter... throw out moldy stale bread and butter

...but i warn, i'm currently employed at white castle spreading butter on bread

Dec 7, 06 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
ralphyson1001

here is a pic of that dog house:

dang rationalist! did you have to kill the thread so fast? seriously though, thanks for the input. is there any other way?

Dec 7, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

maybe shift your paradigm?...

Dec 7, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

maybe dont use the word paradigm anymore?

Dec 7, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I feel like the process has been CABD for me and I may ultimately resort to E

Dec 7, 06 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

bryan- how'd you get to do C right off the bat?

Dec 7, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
contemax
Dec 7, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
dia

The quintessential way is to do your own house, or that of a patron, which states your point.

Use this opportunity to hone your design philisophy, architectural skills, marketing ability, networking ability, and as a filter/attractor for future clients.

The trick is to get the opportunity in the first place. If like me, you are'nt financially connected [yet] you have to find ways to make that so, and this may lead to unorthodox and independent strategies. I am keen on the philosophy that makes your limitations the basis of your strategy.

I am still on my way.

Dec 7, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i plan on designing a method to make the money to build my own projects and then sell them......

:

Dec 7, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dirka

its called marrying a lawyer

Dec 7, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Anybody can start out at C if your paradigm is B

Dec 7, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
contemax

hahaha... , bryan4arch your so right

Dec 7, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i knew a prositute who gave 'special touches'

Dec 7, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
upside

my plan is similar to the underpants gnomes:

1. Collect underpants
2. ?
3. Profit!

1. drink coffe + talk
2. ?
3. architecture!

Dec 7, 06 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

where's the dog?

Dec 7, 06 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
binary

dmx

Dec 7, 06 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

the answer is to teach, and then try to do work that you wanna do while supporting yourself as an educator.

most of the starchitects took that route...i mean, holl spent 13 years teaching before he got a chance to design an actual poolhouse for one of his student's and then slowly worked up from there. rem did little but write for the longest time, never mind zaha, and the rest...

they all however were very good at publishing unbuilt and uncomissioned work, and took advantage of their academic positions to do lectures, get involved in govt, etc. in the end a lot of the process is about political or media savy as much as being good at design.

least that is the way i see it. network, network, network...and NOT JUST WITH OTHER ARCHITECTS, cuz they don't need buildings, and have no money anyway.

Dec 7, 06 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

F. None of the above. What about connections? Doing projects for family members with flow? Or friends' families?

Dec 8, 06 1:19 am  · 
 · 
misterTT

being sexy helps. do you have a good accent?

Dec 8, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 

It takes big brass balls for one. Most starchitects become such because that's the path they chose for themselves...starving for their art (why do you think earlier photos of them him looking so trim).

Anyway there was a rumour in the 90s that Peter Eisenman actually shared ownership of a commercial architectural practice outside of NYC. And this was his means of supporting his more "attractive" work. The deal was that he was always approach by people (wealthy) but who weren't willing to do his kind of thing, so he would firm B. I don't know how true it is - granted I was told this by a former employee/student at U.Ohio

Feb 3, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: