Archinect
anchor

Employers: what would you want to see?

myriam

A question for all employers:

If you ask for work samples, and the position is for someone a few years out of college, what would you be interested in for samples?

Obviously stuff from previous work experience. But does that include drafting, or photos only?

Would you want to see anything from university? How about architectural sketches? How about non-architectural sketches?

Thank you!!

Dec 6, 06 1:05 pm
archie

I would want to see working drawings of a project you worked on, with an explanation of what you did on the project. For example, you might submit drawings of casework and custom cabinetry that you detailed and designed, or a complicated stair that you detailed. I would also want to see examples of things that you designed while working, even if they are small, or only part of a larger project. Photos are nice, but it could be a photo of something you did virturally nothing on. You need to explain your role clearly and honestly. I recently interviewed two people who had both worked at the same firm. They both brought the identical drawings, and said they were the lead designer/ detailer on the project. Months later I was talking to the fabricator who built a good portion of the project, and he said the firm owner did the design, and it was detailed in shop drawings. So don;'t lie about your involvment.

I would want to see your school work- what you think represents your best design work, without the constraintss of building codes, budgets and clients.

Bring some 3-D stuff if you have it, that gives a good sense of your ability to deal in details, and the nuances of a space.

Dec 6, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I would be looking for not only photos of built work experience, but also specific items that display your exact involvement with the projects - early study/process sketches, model photos or renderings, and portions of the drawing set that you were responsible for or had heavy involvement in - details, wall sections, etc.

Depending on how long you've been out of school, I'd also be looking for a representative sample of your own design skills & aesthetic (aka academic work), since many projects in professional practice are designed by committee or driven by a sole design principal. For example, when I was switching jobs after being out of school for five years, the only academic project I kept in my "interview porfolio" is my thesis project - the rest is all professional work.

Dec 6, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

What we'd like to see - and what's missing most often - is work that demonstrates an understanding of construction. We like to turn to detailed wall sections, for example, and ask the applicant about the project's construction type, reasons for decisions about materials and connections, other choices that were evaluated, etc.
We understand that people with no experience at all are probably only going to have academic work to show us. But the portfolios of people with 1 to 3 years of experience are often still very heavy on student work. It's not that I don't want to see that at all, or that I want to see huge amounts of CAD details. But I want to be able to use the person's portfolio as a start point for targeted discussion that will tell me about their previous involvement with projects, their knowledge of construction practices and typical firm practices, etc. In that type of discussion I'd really rather be looking at a "boring" standard wall section drawing (even one drawn in a college structures or materials course) than a section of the most fantastic academic design project, if the latter shows only black poched walls with no sense of materials and no details. This is not to say that you shouldn't include both. But if you're sending out samples I'd say make sure at least one of them is something that demonstrates knowledge of building construction - even if it's not that exciting and even if it isn't the type of construction that you know we typically do.

If you're sending out "samples" make sure they will photocopy well. Whether you're sending them as digital files or as snail mailings, most likely they will be copied and distributed around the office. Black and white line drawings are most likely to hold up well to this. Color photos and renderings often do not. Always remember that the person checking the email (even when sent to the principal's name) or the person opening the mail is very often not the person who will be evaluating candidates, but they will usually be the only person who sees the originals of whatever you send.

Non-architectural sketches, if they show a good drawing hand and the ability to look at things from interesting angles and capture them in good compositions, are great (but so are architectural sketches.)
Photographs of built work are the best thing you could possibly show.
In an interview situation at least one half-size set of clear, readable construction drawings that you had a substantial role in creating and can discuss fluently is critical.

I tend to make most initial determinations about candidates from their resumes. I only glance at samples sent in the mail, and I usually don't look at large emailed files at all, often deleting them from the server sight-unseen. I much prefer to see the full portfolio in person, with the person there to explain the work.
You should always call a firm before sending anything, to get the correct name of the person to whom to direct your materials. While you're doing that you should ask whether the firm prefers to receive work samples, and how they would prefer to receive them (and if they tell you "please do not email large files" then respect that.)

Dec 6, 06 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

This is all extremely helpful. Thank you very much. Keep it coming, anyone else who hasn't yet responded!

Dec 6, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

not an employer (just lil ol me) but I think you need to illustrate that you know how to put a project/building together.

Dec 6, 06 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

it seems employers want the spitting image of lletdownl...
why else would i recieve the prestigious 'Most Ok Employee' award from my college workstudy job?

Dec 6, 06 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

most OK? ha ha. That's hilarious.

Dec 6, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

It really depends on the work experience you have had to date and the project type.

So, if you had worked on a project pretty much all the way from design thru construction. . .it is nice to see images of the built work in addition to design drawings/sketches of the project, some working drawings, some sk's and even a cabinetry shop (or other shop drawing) that you had coordinated and marked up. Even if you are not quite at the Project Architect level yet, it would show me your potential to get there quickly and demonstrate your knowledge of the process. And the interview would be pretty interesting as well - going thru a project from start to finish and really getting into your involvement in the project.

On the other hand, if you have basically been drawing bathroom details, you might want to present your work differently. I would agree that your thesis project and possibly a competition entry that you are proud of would be about the extent of non-professional work that I would be interested in seeing. And maybe if you had experience producing some nice graphic marketing materials, that might be worth showing (depending upon the firm).

But everyone is right, do not overstate your involvement, it is fairly obvious.

Dec 6, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

It is interesting to note that none of these responses mentions nurbs, rapid prototype modeling, rhino, catia, gc, scripting or the like. Just nice to have a basic understanding of how a building goes together seems to be a good place to start.

Dec 6, 06 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ha ha, well lletdownl then please put out the good word for me in your town!

Dec 6, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

tyvek, I fall precisely into your first example paragraph. Great advice, thank you.

I've spent the afternoon rearranging my work samples to respond to all this highly valuable insight. Now I have too much stuff to squeeze into a few pages, but it's much much better!! Thank you all very much!

Dec 6, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

At our firm (mid-sized, architecture and interiors) I probably participate in 50-60 interviews per year. Here's what I want to see:

1. resume, clearly organized so I

Dec 7, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

(oops - hit 'send' accidentally - sorry)

At our firm (mid-sized, architecture and interiors) I probably participate in 50-60 interviews per year. Here's what I want to see:

1. resume, clearly organized so I quickly understand both education and work experience. Use spell check. Send in PDF format so it doesn't get all weird, format-wise.

2. Good, clear examples of some school work (if out of school < 5 years, or so.) Remember, school work explains clearly your own personal design talents - firm work is less clear, typically.)

3. Good, clear examples of finished projects on which you've worked, along with a concise verbal HONEST explanation of your role.

4. Some decent examples of drawings (CD's, presentation dwgs. , etc.) you've personally produced. Don't overwhelm me with numbers - give me a good variety of plans, elevations, elevations, details, etc.

5. Tell me about you - what you can do and what you want to do. Explain your motivations. Help me understand what you can do for our firm. (I'm only marginally interested in what we can do for you.)

6. Help me understand your ability to learn and grow and contribute.

7. Please understand that I'm a licensed architect. I can read drawings. I can quickly understand design concepts. I probably know a lot more about design and detailing than do you. Respect my experience and my time. Don't expect me to need a highly detailed explanation of every minute detail in your portfolio - if I want to know more, I will ask.

Hope this helps - good luck !

Dec 7, 06 9:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: