Archinect
anchor

Work to land an Entry Level Position

e_bordenave

What type of work is best for landing an entry level position in a design firm. Obviously it has to be impressing, but I would like to hear from your perspectives just so I know what I need to prepare before getting a position either as a drafter or an intern architect.

Dec 5, 06 11:56 pm
mdler

good coffee making skills

good xeroxing skills

good taking out the trash skills

Dec 6, 06 12:02 am  · 
 · 
mdler

prepare for a life of hell

Dec 6, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Katze

mdler - you are forgetting the "personal assistant" skills, like picking up the dry cleaning and such...duh.

Dec 6, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 

OK, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the original poster is serious.... and I don't understand the question at all. Do you mean what type of work as in residential vs. commercial vs. institutional, or big vs. small, or do you mean autocad vs. 3d visualizations?

Present your best work. All of us only have so many pieces, and given the budgets, mindsets, etc. of our clients, not all of it will be portfolio-quality.

Or do you mean you have absolutely no experience in architecture whatsoever, and you're trying to make stuff up at the last minute?

Dec 6, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 
e_bordenave

I meant more autocad vs. 3d visualizations.

Dec 6, 06 12:23 am  · 
 · 

Both.

Dec 6, 06 1:27 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yes...

Dec 6, 06 2:03 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the more the merrier...

Dec 6, 06 2:04 am  · 
 · 
tman

Show variety, don't get stuck with just one skill that they remember cause then you'll be doing that for a year.

Dec 6, 06 5:14 am  · 
 · 
tman

like all portfolio images, they should only make it in the portfolio if you love it. Otherwise leave it out. Less is more.

Dec 6, 06 5:16 am  · 
 · 

all above is true.

depends on office you apply to as well. for me portfolio has always been important for job-getting, even with first job.

i know too many people for whom the first job did not involve a portfolio at all...typical interview/conversation went something like

young architect-to-be: "don't you want to see my portfolio?"
answer: "no, why would i? do you want to see mine?" which translated too: "...you are going to be doing cad, not design. and we have our own cad-standards so whatever you know about cad from school won't be useful here....so don't show me our cute student work...ain't interested."

Dec 6, 06 6:19 am  · 
 · 
e_bordenave

hhmmm, I'll definately make sure its not just cad drawings then

Dec 6, 06 8:11 am  · 
 · 
tman

i just got an entry level job after college, in my work examples, showed 2 studio projects (one primarily urban design, one building desing), a largely theoretical idea and how it was implemented into a wall system i had been working on, and autocad drawings of cd set i put together.

in my portfolio, i expanded more indepthly on the work samples, showed another 2 studio projects, 3D modelling ability and put the animation on my ipod. Also discussed my portfolio in a way that showed my interests in various ways of thinking + played up the idea that i've studied architecture at various institutions throughout the world.

Dec 6, 06 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
tman

excuse my grammer...

i meant "a largely-based theoretical idea"

Dec 6, 06 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: