Archinect
anchor

Considerations.....of the deaf

Trying to gather some intel......

thus I came here (ok ok, I know I am going to hear some sarcastic comments about intelligence and the archinect-ers, but humor me).

So in deciding on some special considerations when designing a project for hearing impaired, what would be some factors? Can I hear some suggestions.
Thanks peanut gallery.

Dec 5, 06 6:23 pm
garpike

"Can I hear some suggestions" was a good place to not start, don't you see what I mean?

I am thinking you go with some come of visually thing that's visual.

Dec 5, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
some kind of

, rather

Dec 5, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

hmm, this is interesting.... I'm trying to think of what things we rely on in our homes that are purely audial.

fire alarms - I know they make ones that flash
doorbell if it's a house- maybe you could get a visual device for this too, and make sure the front door is visible and not tucked in a little alcove somewhere?

I can't think of others, but they're probably out there.

Dec 5, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

While growing up my deaf nighbors' phone made lights flash throughout the house. Also maybe the doorbell, but I don't remember. As a kid I'd look out my bedroom window and occasionally see the house flash like an annoying kid at the switch.

How did they use the phone you ask? It had a special key pad.

Dec 5, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

The Include conference at the Helen Hamlyn Research Centre at London's RCA has had lots about designing for sensual impairments, effects of ageing and illness/injury, cognitive impairments etc.

Dec 5, 06 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

The relevant chap at last year's event was Neil Thomas, Royal National Institute for the Deaf (RNID), in the UK.

Dec 5, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Brilliant folks...thank you. To amend...for those who are wondering:

the project I am looking to gather the intel for is a school for the deaf. Thus facilities that are necessary for children that have impaired hearing or are completely deaf.

Audible (louder than normal) and visual stimulus (as in flashing alarms) as well as vibrations. Yeah....interesting stuff. BUT are there others? Any thoughts?

Dec 5, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Thanks PsyArch....

Dec 5, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
LFAl

Take advantage of the visual and tactile! It could be a great opportunity to explore new technologies.

Dec 5, 06 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
LFAl

Check out www.ttytdd.com - it has ADA information as well as various products.

Dec 5, 06 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

lots of windows
outdoors
fountain
lots of trees that sway with the wind

Dec 5, 06 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

fantastic LFAI, thank you.

yes please do keep the ideas coming. I suppose we all at one point have thought of these things (the things we take for granted) but that's why I ask.

Dec 5, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: