Archinect
anchor

Help for the Color Management Challenged?

myriam

Hi!

I have been trying to learn about color management and am COMPLETELY overwhelmed. I've already pored over the helpful tips in previous threads, sifted through wikipedia, and googled. I'm feeling a little bowled over by all the conflicting information and technical words.

Can you help clarify it for me?

Here's the specific situation: I am sending out work samples for job applications, and in some cases I will be sending printed copies and in some cases I will be emailing pdfs. Knowing offices, I'm guessing that the pdfs may then be printed out at the recipients office to be passed around, mocked, etcetera. (ha! I kid.) Anyway, since I don't exactly have control over the output, what can I do to make sure my images don't look like color-mangled crap?

Should I be embedding RGB or CMYK images into my InDesign file? I am working on the InDesign version that came right *before* CS. All I have done so far is open up RGB files in Photoshop, get them to look right on my mac laptop screen, and lay them out in my InDesign file. Where do I go from here?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Dec 5, 06 2:23 am
geimanj

Everything I've read says that you can't start to manage color without first calibrating your monitor. You could have someone do this for you, but really should be re-calibrating pretty regularly, as your screen changes in color quality over time. You can buy Colourvision's Spyder2 Pro setup for around $170 on sale I think. It's supposed to be pretty user-friendly.

If you don't want to invest in a hardware calibrator, then at least run Adobe Gamma to get your display in some sort of corrected place.

Use RGB images- you'll only need CMYK if you're sending to a professional press. Stick with RGB and you should be all right. You're assuming that offices will print- they may just view on a screen, so you wouldn't have to worry about output issues in that case.

Hope that's a start- I've been doing the same research for correcting color in my portfolio, and it's a pain. It's worth investing time and $ to have something that you know will work correctly in the future, though.

Dec 5, 06 2:37 am  · 
 · 
myriam

bump!

Dec 5, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

We looked into that at our firm and it just seemed like you had to spend a rediculous amount of money to get anything that would actually calibrate you monitor well. To me it sounds complicated and something that you could easily mess up if you don't know what you are doing. I don't think anyone that you send your pdf's to is gonna be offended by the color. You can't control everything. If you are really worried about them maybe you should just only send out prints, that way you still have some control over it. Most likely the office you send it to will print it, atleast that has been my experience. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Dec 5, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

well, when I did my portfolio, on this same machine, and printed it, the colors came out super-saturated and very magenta for some reason, and so after all that time working on the portfolio, it didn't look like what I wanted it to in the end.

I'm trying to avoid that problem this time around, hence the worry.

How do I control the print color? I have no idea where to begin.

I'll try running Adobe Gamma, whatever that is.

Dec 5, 06 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

The only answer is to get proofs done.

RGB is for on-screen, CMYK is for print.

Dec 5, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ah. there's no way to avoid test-prints, eh?

Isn't there some way to tell InDesign to calibrate the colors with respect to your particular printer? Is that even worth doing?

And if you're sending things to people that might see them onscreen, and might print them, which would be better--RGB, or CMYK?

Dec 5, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ah. there's no way to avoid test-prints, eh?

Isn't there some way to tell InDesign to calibrate the colors with respect to your particular printer? Is that even worth doing?

And if you're sending things to people that might see them onscreen, and might print them, which would be better--RGB, or CMYK?

Dec 5, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i recommend doing whatever color correction and management you need to get your prints to look good.

if you're sending electrons, you can tweak your monitor to your heart's content, but you have no control over the color settings of the recipients' monitors (which will impact the viewing quality just as much).

Dec 5, 06 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ok, let's assume I am complete neophyte. Can you give me specific pointers?

Like, if I've got RGB images in an InDesign file, should I print straight from that? Should I convert each image to CMYK and then print? Should I export to pdf first? Is there a way to export to CMYK pdf from an RGB file, and should I even bother?

I don't actually know the terms well.

Dec 5, 06 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

From what I've been reading, the only time you should work in a CMYK color space is if you're sending your files to a professional press that uses a 4-color CMYK process. If you're printing to a home inkjet, then keep your files as RGB. Even though, yes, your printer has cartridges labeled Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black, it is essentially designed to interpret RGB color values. So don't convert.

Calibrating your monitor isn't that complicated, and there are numerous companies out there working to make it easier. The bottom line is, if you can't trust the image you're seeing on your screen, then no amount of tweaking on the output side will get you to a controlled workflow.

It sounds like you're also having issues with the color output. You can get color profiles made for your particular printer/ink/paper combo that should let you better control what you're printing. If you have an Epson printer, for instance, then you can download color profiles from their site that will improve the color output when printing on Epson paper with Epson inks.

You could try this free utility for calibrating your monitor.
http://www.hex2bit.com/products/product_mcw.asp

The simplest way to fix your printer output is to reiterate: print, tweak the image by adjusting the color levels in Photoshop, print again, adjust accordingly, rinse and repeat. It's not particularly elegant, but it gets the job done.

Color management is unique to each individual's situation, so it's hard to give you general advice.

Dec 5, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ahhh, that is very helpful already. Thank you!

Dec 5, 06 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

Another quick tip- make sure all of your images are RGB, and that you're working in RGB in InDesign. It is bad to be converting RGB to CMYK and vise-versa.

This is also a pretty general walkthrough that might help you:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329486.html

Dec 5, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

Another helpful site- http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/viewing.html

I don't know if you're PC or Mac-based, but it has tips for both.

Dec 5, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

We had the same problem that you are describing with one of our inkjet printers at work. Every image you printed had a magenta over tone. When we would print the exact same image to our color laser printer the image would look just fine. So another thing you might try is printing an image from your computer to a different printer and see if you get the same magenta effect. If you don't then you may just need a new printer or do what geimanj suggested and just try to manipulate the image in photoshop to counteract the magenta tone. Inkjet printers are a disposable item and don't last forever. We ended up buying a new one cause there was nothing we could do to get the prints to look right. Stupid printers.

Dec 5, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

If there's an overtone of one color, you may have clogged printer heads. Try running the deep cleaning cycle a few times and see if it works, do the nozzle check, etc. Also try replacing cartridges. Ultimately, cpnorris is right- you can pick up a decent new inkjet for under $100 these days.

Dec 5, 06 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

I'm really surprised that someone sending out work samples with a resume (or am I getting the wrong end of the stick here?) is bothered to the extent of all this publishing-level fuss about colour veracity?
Have you any idea how long most principles actually spend browsing any particular resume? You'd be doing well if they go to the bother of printing something out at all...
Wouldn't be, erm, easier to simply print to your satisfaction and post the results? It would, I'd have thought, give you a much better chance of getting noticed for an interview.
Although, really, I think I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here in which case I apologise. In fact, I apologise anyway.
I'm in the mood :-)

Dec 5, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i think this conversation is mostly pointed towards grad school portfolios, in which case the ability to capture someone's attention in both formats might be the issue.

Dec 5, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

or maybe not.

Dec 5, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

If a website asks me to download a plug-in before viewing it, I just browse elsewhere. Hence, I'm thinking one might be shooting onesself in the foot asking someone to fiddle with calibrations before viewing / printing a resume file...

Dec 5, 06 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

solidred- I think you're confused. I've been saying that myriam should calibrate her own monitor so that she can be sure that she's viewing an accurately rendered image of her own work. Then she can take various steps to correct the output of her printer, which is not currently matching her screen- by tweaking the files in an image editor like photoshop, by downloading icc profiles from her printer manufacturer, by making her own profiles through various complicated means, or by having someone create professional ones for her. That way she can get to a place where what she sees on the screen matches what she prints out at home.

Dec 5, 06 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

how come if i'm making a document in indesign that has RGB images (Jpegs) in it, when I export to PDF the images look way less saturated / less contrasty (on the same monitor)? Clicking the option in the export settings to make sure it's all RGB helps a little bit, but not totally.

Dec 5, 06 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

different programs display images in different ways.

illustrator and indesign for example make a visual distinction between RGB black and 100%K black.

if the images are in a pdf, most people will open it with acrobat on windows and preview on a mac. test it for those.

there is no ultimate solution apart from testing it out.

Dec 5, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: