Archinect
anchor

what should we call the intern?

work for idle hands

there's also this:

http://www.aia.org/SiteObjects/files/09-02-01.pdf

Dec 5, 06 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

I disagree. When I worked construction, the project managers used to laugh at cards that said 'Intern', saying "I don't want to work with an intern, they're just going to quit in September anyway." A lot of people honestly think that an intern is not a full-time employee, because this is the way it works in other fields.

Dec 5, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

VICE PRESIDENT - REPROGRAPHICS

Dec 5, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

retards, thats what we call them

Dec 5, 06 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Pimpanzee

'Fuckface'
That will get them drafting....
Better yet, 'IDP Enthusiast'

Dec 5, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Well - I shouldnt talk since I dont have my Lic. yet. But theyre still 90% tards

Dec 5, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Our intern is self titled. Head Designer.

Dec 5, 06 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

GARWONDLER

Dec 5, 06 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
emilyrides

I'm the 'intern' where I work, and I mostly get called 'Hey, You'. There are a few people who are nice to me, and when they refer to me in front of clients they usually refer to me as a 'designer'. I have also been called 'cad-monkey' on occasion, which doesn't bother me too much, as it implies that I have some useful function. Remember, be nice to your interns! We work long hours for free, or in my case just free lunch. I actually spend quite a bit of time snickering and biting my tongue, because while I may be a lowly intern, some of the people I work with are way too caught up in 'The World Of Architecture', which has given then completely unrealistic views of the world.

Dec 6, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

my observation so far is interns are just beginner architects, and essentially we're all just social misfits with personality disorders of one kind or another, imprisoning each other in our selfmade misery cycle.
except myself, of course.

Dec 6, 06 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I learned the hard way that being titled "intern" can screw you if, for example, you attempt to seek work outside of the USA, where "interns" are STRICTLY student employees only. Please don't call the person an intern, if you respect them in any way. Just because NAAB calls them that don't mean that's the right thing to say.

Dec 6, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
whatdoyacallem?
Dec 8, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Grat article, Steven. I'm all for "architect" and "registered architect" in job titles.

Dec 8, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

That article made a great point about "residents" being called doctors, though their under the rather strict supervision of "attendings."

If we had a more professional title, perhaps emerging professionals wouldn't look upon the whole licensing process as tedious and beneath them.

Dec 8, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

That article isn't actually helpful--it doesn't actually give any guidance on what we *should* call them, while pointing out that in a lot of states we can't call them Intern Architects (without telling us what those states are). Then, it offers bland optimism for the future, telling us without specifically actually referencing anything that it is 'getting better', yay!

Oh and don't call them interns, by the way. (Gee, thanks.)

Sorry, Steven, that was an empty article.

here's your sign--someone mentioned (I think in this thread?) that residents are called doctors partly because they actually hold a doctorate. Therefore they are entitled to be called doctors.

Dec 8, 06 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Shouldn't holding a professional architecture degree entitle someone to call themselves an architect?

Dec 8, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

It does in other countries. But there also isn't as much liability and litigation in other countries.

They'll never recommend that title, however, because they fought so hard to have it protected by state law.

Dec 8, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

"They" fought for a lot of things that haven't worked out as ideally as envisioned.

Dec 8, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Maybe the current distinction between intern/architect could someday become architect/registered architect?

Dec 8, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

The article kind of obliquely hints at that, without actually saying anything about it.

Dec 8, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

sorry myriam. didn't mean to imply that the article answered anything, just thought it was an interesting and timely addition to the discussion since it was in my aia newsletter today. really it was just acknowledgement that this discussion is ongoing, which, of course, we already knew.

Dec 8, 06 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ahh, that *is* interesting. (wonder if they read this discussion?) It is good to know others are talking about it too.

I do wish they would use their position to write more substantive articles, however.

Dec 8, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

they is we, myriam....

Dec 8, 06 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Not we. You, perhaps.

Dec 8, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

hmm.

Dec 8, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

license-challenged architect

Dec 8, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I must've been living under a rock because I've always assumed that it was only my fragile ego that made me cringe at the term "intern." I knew it was a problem with some of the people I know, but I didn't realize it was such a public discussion at the level that the AIA would try to do something about it. Thanks, SW for the article. I no longer feel like I have a fragile ego or at least the only one.

You know you're popular on this forum when people understand who you are by the initials much like LB

Dec 8, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

whilst i call them grub to their face they are actually given titles depending on which architects they work mostly with

a. is called junior project officer (they tend to get redlined but do the shite themselves mostly)

b. architect assistant (drawing, filing, entertaining, answering the phone....big man about town)

c. apprentice (cute, leggy, 21 yo)

Dec 22, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
mvsuriano

I like "sport", or perhaps "champ"

Dec 23, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

before working in a legit office, this site made me always think that all design firms were full of egomanics

do young kids actually take shit in the office?
people must be pretty desperate for work if they insist on being employed by assholes

Dec 23, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
tman

i'm an intern, you can call me al

Dec 23, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
I love archinect

by his first name?

Dec 23, 06 9:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: