Archinect
anchor

Apts in NYC!!!

sloring

So I have been living here in Astoria, NY since this summer and I was told by my landlord tonight that I have to be out of my apartment by Feb 1. [I didn't sign a lease, and he needs my space because he can no longer commute like he was, etc] Good news is that I will get two months security deposit plus half of my brokers fee back. Bad news is I need a place to live by Feb 1. My girlfriend also lives here in Astoria with a roommate, and while I would like to be close to her, the hour commute to my office and the sill remoteness of Astoria is something that I have considereing getting rid of for the glories of upper Manhattan or Brooklyn. I can realistically only afford about 1k a month for rent [less is more!], so that rules out anything south and central. I have heard that Harlems is becoming more popular of a place to live, and I know that places such as Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Park Slope are nice too. I now live in a basement and would love it if I could find a space with some high ceilings and the light that we architects crave. Does anyone have any suggestions on up-and-coming parts of the city that I am not thinking of?

With a little persuasion I might even be able to get my gf to get a place with me!

Dec 1, 06 9:44 pm
Living in Gin

Upper Manhattan is generally nice as long as you stay west of Broadway. Washington Heights and Inwood have some beautiful old art deco apartment buildings with spacious layouts, corner windows, and sunken living rooms. If your budget is $1000 per person (not $1000 for the whole apartment), you shouldn't have any trouble finding a place.

Dec 1, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
sloring

well, this just happened tonight and i haven't had time to talk to my gf about it, and although we have discussed it before i am not sure if she would be willing to do it, mainly because her parents would strongly disapprove of it and she's very close to them. so, it may just be me and it may just be $1000.

Dec 1, 06 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I found a huge studio in that area for $900 a month, and a nice one-bedroom up there for $1100 a month (and regretfully passed on both of them), so it may be possible. My advice would be to get in touch with a broker who specializes in that neighborhood.

Dec 1, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

BTW, this website may be a good resource if you're looking in Upper Manhattan. The discussion forums have a special board for real estate and rentals up there.

Dec 1, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
sloring

how long is the commute from there to say, Canal and Hudson, where my office is? I'm at about an hour now and would really like to cut that down if at all possible.

Dec 1, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If you're able to take the A train for the entire ride, I'd guess your commute will come it at around 45 minutes. The A runs express, so you'll save some time that way. If you have to make a transfer, however, then all bets are off.

My commute to 25th and Broadway was about an hour door-to-door, but then, I had to transfer to the B or D at Columbus Circle and then transfer again to the F or V at 28th Street... which sucked in a major way.

Dec 1, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
ArT.

You might be able to find something south. It takes a lot of looking and luck. I found a small, though full room with some friends in the east village for 500 and walked to work in 20 minutes. I also had a friend in the LES who had a room for 900. Both very small, pretty cramped though. It's a horrible process though. Best of luck.

Dec 2, 06 10:15 am  · 
 · 
emilyrides

Bay Ridge is the spot - I'm almost afraid to say it in public lest it becomes ovverun with hipsters. My apartment is ridiculous - 12 foot ceilings, hardwood floors, a dozen giant custom windows - all that good stuff that makes life worth living. It's only $1050 which is an amazing bargain. The neighborhood is fantastic. It isn't 'cool', per se, but I like that. There are fantastic stores, the best restaurants, plenty of parks and it's very, very safe. It takes me 30 minutes to where I work downtown on the express train. Not too shabby. There's an apartment above me for rent, same price, basically the same apartment except the floors are carpeted (which I love because it muffles the sounds from above in my apartment).

Dec 2, 06 11:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: