Archinect
anchor

Metal Studs

jckii

Simple, probably dumb question, with which I'd rather not bug my structural engineer: How far can you vertically span 3 5/8" metal studs (1 layer 5/8" gyp either side) for interior partitions?

Jul 30, 04 1:01 pm
J3

first of all this is fucking lame...this is not something for the structural to tell you, rather than something you should know (at least know where to find) The fastest way is to look in the USG web site (www.usg.com) and look in the drywall/steel framed systems:
3-5/8" w (2) 5/8" ea. side
16" o/c-14'-16'9"
24" o/c-12'3"-13'6"

depending on max allow. deflection!

Good day

Jul 30, 04 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
J3
http://www.usg.com/Product_Index/_product_index.asp?vProdCat=98&vFamily=1&vGreenLink=98

and click on the system catalog link

Jul 30, 04 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
archit84

easy killer

Jul 30, 04 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
J3

sorry for the bad language...we just had harrassment training and I obviously need more!

Jul 30, 04 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
archit84

well everyone needs to learn somewhere,
i remember i asked my boss the same question and he threw a drywall construction handbook at me, obviously i learned to find answers myself without asking him basic things. This forum should be a way for people to get that kind of information. At least jckii didn't ask for grad school rankings.

Jul 30, 04 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

Caballo... easy! ;)

Jul 30, 04 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

It depends on the stud spacing.
@5 p.s.f. (code lateral resistance) with 3-5/8" studs @:
16" o.c. = 16'-0"
24" o.c. = 13'-6"

May be different in seismic areas, but that's how we do it here.
Also, it may be dependent on your top and bottom fastening.
Where you nedd a slip connection at the top to allow for ceiling/floor deflection, then obviously those numbers would change.

Jul 30, 04 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

oops - I apologze for reiterating J3's post.

Jul 30, 04 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
igloominaire

ArchAngel, thank you - and likewise all other posters - except J3.

J3, you are a supercilious, arrogant twat (and that comes without any thanks, or apology for a "lame" question, whatsoever). May all your studs deflect, buckle and collapse, such that you get sued for all (or what little) you're worth. Once you didn't know the answer to that either. Learn a little humility, asshole.

Jul 31, 04 1:24 am  · 
 · 
J3

What interesting words...zuperlicious (do you say that with a lisp?) ...relax man...just a forum conversation...go back to pumping cad

Jul 31, 04 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: