Gothic, gothic & gothik


So I was doing some light research on Richard Upjohn yesterday and was reminded of a class I took maybe 2 years ago. One of the lectures was about the differences between gothic architecture, Gothic (with a capital G) and gothik (with a K), but I can't remember at all what the differences were.

After all types of google searches, perusing my old notebooks and checking multiple books for any clue, I realize I have no resources to re-learn the difference and was wondering if anyone has any ideas or can recommend some literature on the subject.

Thanks for any help.

May 10, 12 1:07 pm

Is this a font thread?

May 10, 12 1:16 pm

No I did not take a class on fonts.

May 10, 12 1:23 pm

I remember one being referred to as "Serious gothic," probably the capital G, and could refer to the original Gothic trend from 12th century France. Not sure though.

Just looking for some clarification.

May 10, 12 1:43 pm

In my experience, there is no hard and fast rule about use, only a set of more or less well articulated conventions (depending on context).  I did work on Gothic monastic structures as part of my undergraduate thesis, and some work on Gothic revival domestic architecture for my Quals, and I remember quite a bit of variation in the use of terms, though I was able to discern some guidelines to follow.

Generally, the term 'Gothic' is used to refer to works, ideas, details and individuals of the particular historical period, while 'gothic' can be used more generally to refer to detailing or stylistic features.  Thus, "the Gothic cathedral of Chartres" or "Strawberry Hill, the Gothic Revival villa of Horace Walpole," but "the pointed gothic arch."  However, in an academic source, or when writing an academic paper, the lower case usage is considered insufficiently scholarly.

The use of "Gothick" or "Gothik" is a (primarily British) affectation and is mostly used by writers who were producing their work in the 19th century (or those who wish they were).  It's a 'romantic' flourish typically used only to refer to the particular school of thought which understood Gothic design and detailing as a kind of ornamentation which could be slapped onto any old structure, regardless of its other design fundamentals or character.  I use the term only when I am quoting a source that uses it (like Raphael and Arthur Brandon's 1850 catalog of details) or when I intend to be snarky.

In my experience, a Gothic structure emerges from a distinct tradition and adheres to a range of principles which govern scale, proportion, construction and detail.  A "Gothick" structure can be anything, so long as it has a few pointed arches, maybe some stained glass, and a range of details stuck on to evoke the era and style.  Think of it as the difference between this or this and this (bleagh) or this (gack).

May 13, 12 1:56 pm

i prefer emo chicks to goth chicks

May 13, 12 11:44 pm

Visigothic or Ostrogothic?

May 14, 12 7:18 pm

an older well learned designer I knew used the spelling Gothik to refer the earlier, more structural gothic style. I have been trying to find  something to verify this but can’t find anything. I hope we both get our  answer.

Jan 23, 20 11:38 pm
Non Sequitur

That is incorrect. Gothik is related to the gothic revival style common in 1800 England. see architectrix's post above.


I would guess gothic is a later version where there are different materials so you're "timetraveling", Gothic being the traditional (central mass with flying buttresses; & gothik being the unlumped masses which reach for height by themselves.  I would say this "gothik" would have less decorative structuralism.  For what I'm talking about I'm just guessing this picture is gothik

Jan 24, 20 10:39 am
Non Sequitur

Jawknee, architectrix explains the difference in his/her post above. The extremely distorted picture you posted is of the Gloucester Cathedral. This particular building spans both the Romanesque and Gothic periods (1089-1499).


ns, coud u engineer THIs?

Jan 24, 20 7:18 pm
Non Sequitur

No, but that’s not my area of expertise.


you know, import export qasaladadttdaladukz


bullshit, bullshit, and oh wait...more bullshit

Jan 31, 20 12:56 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: