Archinect
anchor

letter of Rec.

- quick question here: when applying for schools, is it normal to ask 1 person to write you more than 1 letter of recommendation? or should they be farmed out to many different people ?
eg. 3 recs x 3 schools - do i need 9 people or 3?
I'd be hard pressed to come up with 9, but @ the same time don't want to insult the rec writers either..
Those of you asking for recs- and those of you who've written them ,Please advise?!

Nov 20, 06 11:11 am
seopee

I thought it was completely normal to ask the same person to write you recs for 3 (or more) different schools. Cause they'd only need to compose one letter overall and just change the school name, right? The easier you make it for them, the better though (pre-addressed envelopes, clearly identify school names and programs you're applying to). Anyone else have thoughts?

If one person had to compose 3 completely different letters for you, then that'd be much more of a burden though...

Nov 20, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 

my recommenders are each writing six letters for me, so don't worry about three!

Nov 20, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
c

sigh

Nov 20, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

do you really trust that many people?

I had about five people and I used matched them depending on the different schools. Pick two interests for instance...Some schools are heavy in one interest and others are heavy in the other.

Say, scrtipting and bashing people for buying "architecture sucks t's" are your two interests.

Some recommeders will agree with you that architecture sucks t's are really lame, so you have those people recommend you for schools that also think that wearing architecture sucks t's is cheesy.

Then for your other profs that don't agree with you about the t's but see you're great at scripting use them for those schools.

mix and match as you like...in essence think about what the school "specializes" in and have your profs with similar interest recommend you for those schools.

Nov 20, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

unless you only have 3 options for recommenders (like me).

mine are doing the address cut-'n'-paste to each school.

Nov 20, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: