Archinect
anchor

precedents needed - industrial mixed-use

Urbanist

I'm looking for precedents of buildings or urban design schemes where big-box industrial and logistics programs have been integrated with housing and commercial/retail programs, either in close proximity or through hybridization.

I can think of a few design concepts from young Dutch designers, but that's about it.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Nov 18, 06 2:28 am
treekiller

search through the books page for 'industrial'. several recent publications explore the post-industrial realm and would be a good start.

typically a 'big-box' will occupy a raized site - so finding remnants of the industrial heritage next to mega parking lots and tilt-slab construction is rare.

Nov 19, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Thanks. I'm actually looking less at " industrial heritage" than at current conditions.. particularly in the developing world (China etc) where new (and highly flexible/transient) big box industrial/light manufacturing and logistics programs might coexist with worker housing and other programs.. perhaps institutional. Particular problems include access/negative effects of transportation/transport infrastructure and limitations imposed by tilt-up architectures that probably don't provide much structure, as you point out.

Alan's example is intriguing.

Nov 19, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: