Archinect
anchor

How's Gensler in San Francisco?

Minimal Animal

I am looking into applying for an intern-architect's job at the San Francisco office of Gensler.

Any insight into office culture, people, projects, salary...etc would be helpful...

thanks

Jul 28, 04 7:29 pm
kn825

I worked there as a school intern about two years ago, right before the economic crash. I found the culture to be very corporate, but laid back as far as change goes. Good design for a corporate firm. Oh, and great bonuses.

Jul 28, 04 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

Thanks kn825,

What exactly do you mean by " but laid back as far as change goes"

could you clarify/elaborate some ?

Jul 29, 04 11:52 am  · 
 · 
kn825

well, I worked there for a year, and I found that they were very open to suggestions on how to improve things, even from a young intern. But then again, the environment may have changed. I was able to run my own project with their supervision. Lots of firms dont give that much freedom, especially large ones.

The location of the office is great too. Walking distance from BART, close to alot of good food, and close to Embarcadero.

Jul 29, 04 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

Their new office is supposed to be awesome...with an expansive view of the Bay Bridge and Treasure Island from every front window....

How are the people...I mean the management and the principals...I know they do a lot of good projects..

I'll appreciate all the information you can give me..

Jul 29, 04 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
kn825

Well, when I interned there, I was in interiors (I was an architecture student, but that's just where they had room). Doug Zucker was the principle in charge of my studio. I found him to be competent, but hard to find sometimes. Otherwise, the management there has typically been there FOREVER. You dont see much of them, as they are out hobnobbing alot. Gensler San Francisco was joined with the corporate office, so Art Gensler and Ed Friedrichs office there. They're pretty personable, although they meet alot of people and probably wont remember your name.

Jul 29, 04 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

I've been told that Gensler usually takes a looooooong time to process job applications...what with them being so HUGE and all in sheer size.....did you have a similar experience ?

Jul 29, 04 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
kn825

not really, but I was placed there through my school, so I didnt have to deal with that. I have heard that its true though.

Also, at the beginning of the dot-com crash, they started laying off like crazy. Big firms tend to do that. Layoff half the staff to fix the bottom line.

Jul 29, 04 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

That's the downside..

But do you really think that a situation like the dot-com crash will reoccur?

Jul 29, 04 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
kn825

There is about a 10-year economic cycle. Every decade there is a boom and a burst (that's generalizing, but it's fairly true). I wouldnt go into a job worrying about that. But look at it this way.. if a large firm will lose half it's staff in a major downfall, aa small firm just might go under altogether.

Jul 29, 04 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

I am an intern at Gensler SF. If you are applying for an intern position as a student it sucks. No paid holiday, sick days, vacation, bonuses, benefits. The good thing is the people are very nice in the office and the designs are pretty good for a large firm. I am treated like a real member of the design team. I don't feel that it is too corporate, but you are gambling because there is a high probability you will be in a roll-out studio, which I find completely unappealing. The view is quite nice, and I think it is a pretty good place to start out. Designs and details are well done, even if some of the projects produced are not that exciting. Also it really supports helping employees move up to become licensed or certified.

Aug 1, 04 4:21 am  · 
 · 
jetcetera

Gensler SF must be out of the norm. I was @ G in NYC (a few yrs ago) for a few months and it was a den of vipers. If you have any real visible abilities or presence, you will get hated on...It actually motivated me to start my own firm.

Aug 1, 04 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
kn825

I can see where things might get a little cut-throat above intern level at Gensler SF. I always overheard bitching, etc. about coworkers doing this and that. Maybe they're just really supportive of us youngins.

Aug 1, 04 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

please pardon my ignorance...

but what exactly is a roll-out studio ?

For the record, I won't be applying for an intern's position...I have three years of experience, two pre-grad school and one post-grad school..

Aug 1, 04 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

A roll-out studio is a studio that basically designs one retail space and "rolls it out" to many location. Gensler has quite a lot of retail project, so this is common. Gap, Apple Store, Toyota, Limited Pink, Victoria Secret, etc. It is to the benefit of the retailer because their stores will have one look, and they aren't paying for extra design work. It could be interesting, in the sense that you are retrofitting the same design for different locations, but I found it to be tedious. Nothing to do with the actual design.

I think if you start as a real employee, which I am not. You would get benefits which are quite good. Profit sharing, health, vacation, holidays, etc.

Aug 1, 04 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
K68

How about Gensler in LA? And on that note: any other comments on corporate offices in LA? I'm on my way to new adventures.

Aug 2, 04 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

I believe denise ip works there, she is an archinect editor.

As for LA, I interned at DMJM while in school. It was a great environment, and met very nice people there. This was before their move though. I dont know how it is now.

Aug 2, 04 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice

Sahar complains too much. I work at BAR where the roll out project is pottery barn. Who would complain about doing apple stores? Only Sahar. Plus, gensler has cool hats.

Aug 2, 04 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

You get paid more than me, and I bet you have benefits. AND I bet you don't spend all day playing on the internet this week because they staffed you on the China project which starts next week. haha.

I didn't mean to complain. I think Gensler SF is pretty good for such a large firm. San Jose airport is in the works. It seems cool. Already built projects that the studio I am in have done are Muscone West, Forever 21 (Powell and Market), Jewish Community Center, etc.

MiesvanderRice, I will try to snag you a hat at the Gensler picnic. I am sure they have to hand out these goods at some Gensler event.

Aug 3, 04 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
ssimon82

Check out InsideArch « Firm Report » Gensler.

Aug 3, 04 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
kn825

sahar-

I was the Rice intern about 3 years ago. What studio are you in?

Aug 3, 04 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

I am in Architecture 1

Aug 3, 04 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
kn825

When I was there they stuck us in interiors. I was in Interiors 2.

Aug 3, 04 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

Apparently I am the first in a long time in the Architecture 1 studio, some people who have been in the studio for 10+ years don't ever recall an intern working for them. It is weird that Rice didn't push for more students to be in Architecture/Workspace studios, instead of Interiors.

Aug 4, 04 3:00 am  · 
 · 
kn825

That is strange. When I was there the Rice intern had always been in that studio. I guess things just happen that way with workload. Take one out, put one it. There was also a PM in that studio that was from Rice. I imagine he pushed to get the intern on his jobs.

Aug 4, 04 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
cLoo

Gensler SF--i did not have a positive experience. I was in their Architecture studio where majority are men and in their 40s. They are so busy, that if you are just out of college, they really don't have the time to train you. If you work for Gensler, work retail or workplace. The people in ARCH are pushovers and care little for your development. Also, they try and screw you over with pay. Don't buy into their bonus programs, etc. Gensler SF is a good firm to work for after maybe a couple of years of experience. However, Gensler in DC I enjoyed and felt that they were very good to their new hires. Also Gensler SF has a lot of snobs, ie the Senior Associates...

Nov 11, 05 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Kliu,

I just accepted my co-op in Gensler in DC for the upcoming Winter months. Any suggestions?

Nov 16, 05 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: