perhaps eisenman?

Nov 8, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

crap i missed it. what did he say?

Nov 8, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

he roughly said, in my first effort of bi-partisianship, i shared with speaker pelosi some names of interior decorators to help her pick out curtains for her new office.

to make a comment about the first woman to take the position of speaker of the house that focuses on appearances and not substance was wrong.

Nov 8, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

because the Oval Office has no corners, there is nowhere to make him go sit after he shamed the country

Nov 8, 06 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well hastert never got around to sprucing things up...

Nov 8, 06 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Personally i thought the joke was kind of "cute". People need to lighten up with politicians attempts at humor, like the bruhaha kerry sparked about Iraq. Unless it's really in bad taste.

Nov 8, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh and Haster needs to get around to sprucing himself up, everytime I see that guy he looks like a quadrouple bypass waiting to happen. If there's one thing I can take away from this election its the fact I won't have to see him weezing on my television as much as i used to.

Nov 8, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh and Hastert needs to get around to sprucing himself up, everytime I see that guy he looks like a quadrouple bypass waiting to happen. If there's one thing I can take away from this election its the fact I won't have to see him weezing on my television as much as i used to.

Nov 8, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
e

maybe so apurimac. maybe so, but i personally found in poor taste for such a historic moment. i also find it a common problem when women assume positions that men have typically held. comments get made about appearances, their hair, their looks, their weight, and/or what they are wearing. you don't hear those same comments directed towards men.

Nov 8, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Well, Pelosi is definately prettier than Hastert. I personally feel some "fatass" jokes should be shot in his direction. W to Hastert: "So, now that you don't have to worry about covering up for pedophiles it might be time to hit the gym and get that heart operation. I could suggest a few surgeons and personal trainers..."

Nov 8, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
lschack

e - you nailed it. Everyone would be like, "huh?" if W decided to comment like this toward a new male speaker of the house.
Yes. Pelosi has boobs. If you are going to be a hater, hate her for what she DOES, not what she looks like, wears, decorates, etc.

This IS a historic moment, and once again W made us all look ignorant.

Nov 8, 06 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

Actually the joke was on Bush. A week or so back he was asked what he thought of the coming Dem majority - his testy reply was that the election hadn't been held yet, and people were already picking out drapes for their new office.

Nov 8, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i thought you designers would be happy that the president is showing an interest in decorating!!!

Nov 8, 06 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I was watching the press conference and that joke went down like a lead balloon. Bush even looked like he regretted saying it as soon as it left his mouth.

Nov 8, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, i was listening to it, and it sounded like a lead balloon. you heard a few snickers, but it more sounded like gawd, i can't believe that idiot just said that than ones appreciating his joke.

Nov 8, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

it is worth a laugh.

Nov 8, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

"Yes. Pelosi has boobs. If you are going to be a hater, hate her for what she DOES, not what she looks like, wears, decorates, etc."

Perhaps bush hates her because Hasterts boobs are larger...

What? Bush is a Boob kinda guy.

Nov 8, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
lschack

touche thrifyacres, I stand corrected-who am I to think her boobs are big enough? And I thought Bush was an ASS-MAN

Nov 8, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
knock

i agree with alan - he made the drapes joke at least a half dozen times over the past week, pre-election, and he actually had the humility to mock himself ... which kind of blows my mind.

Nov 8, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

more on nancy's appearance:
Muted Tones Of Quiet Authority: A Look Suited To the Speaker

Nov 10, 06 10:57 am  · 
 · 
4arch

In one of my previous jobs I was able to get inside virtually every room in the US Capitol building as part of an existing conditions survey. I was surprised and somewhat dismayed by how tradational all the furnishings and draperies were. While I can understand traditional appointments in public and ceremonial spaces, in not one private office did I see even so much as a random Barcelona chair or Eames lounge. Not only that, I didn't really see furniture in traditional styles other than Chippendale or Georgian either. Unfortunately I was never able to put the question to anyone directly, but I suspect there must be a catalog out of approved furnishings, draperies, and color schemes from which they can select

Nov 10, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 

wonder if the kennedys had any cool modern rooms in the white house that have been undone since then. or lbj or nixon: they were kinda swingin' dudes, werent' they?

Nov 10, 06 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Think Nixon was a shag rug kinda guy!

Nov 10, 06 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

one of our clients was a lawyer in the nixon whitehouse. \m/

Nov 10, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

my father-in-law was a lawyer in the nixon whitehouse. i'm guessing there were a lot of them?

Nov 10, 06 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

i is good friends with top nixon lawyer's x daughter in law and she is a sworn modernista. name is mardian.

Nov 10, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: