Archinect
anchor

A.R.E passing grades - who knows???

igloominaire

SO we all write these things, some of us actually manage to fail one now and then, yet no-one has the faintest idea of what kind of precentage of right vs wrong you're shooting for in order to pass. Is it a constant pass/fail standard, or does NCARB tailor the results to fit the old bell curve, and thus fail sufficient candidates to adequately fund their shameless profiteering racket? Or does someone out there know how they actually, seriously, score the tests?

Jul 28, 04 2:11 am
Dan

I thought it was 75% to pass.

Jul 28, 04 8:51 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

I tried to find out when I was taking it, but they guard the secret closely. They do not give out any information as to what is required to pass. My guess is that some kind of curve is involved (based on how other professional exams are graded), but who knows. When I did the practice tests provided by NCARB, I got 65-70% right, and then passed all the tests. I think the threshold is lower than 75%, at least last year it was. There are also a lot of test questions on there, or at least there were before the re-vamp. So I imagine the percentage you have to get right is more likely 55-60% (for the multiple choice - seems on the graphics it might be a bit tougher). Just my feelings...

Jul 28, 04 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

hey ra rudolph

where do you get the ncarb practice test?
and how much is it?

Jul 28, 04 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

order it from ncarb. really it's just 30 sample questions for each multiple choice section, then practice vignettes and explanations for the graphic sections. they put out 2 books, each $50 and it's worth it because the questions really are identical to what you'll find on the exams (and different from the ALS practice questions).

Jul 28, 04 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
calatrava

here is a comprehensive report done by archvoices.com regarding this subject.

http://www.archvoices.org/index.cfm?pg=Resources&s=IssueArchive&d=newsD&NID=335&MaxResults=30&StartRow=1&searchwords=Search%20Issue%20Archives...&lineNbr=1

Jul 28, 04 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
igloominaire

RA - I think the NCARB practice tests are a bunch of over-priced hooey. True, they are similar to (but by no means the same as) the actual test questions, but the answers have no explanations (which is really lame when you're trying to learn about this stuff in-depth) and frankly $60 (including shipping) for that skinny little ring-bound pamphlet is a rip-off. Go with ALS and the Ballast books, spend $100 on the Archiflash card set, know your contracts really well, and you'll be fine, is my advice so far.

Jul 28, 04 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Well I think they helped me a lot... true there are no explanations to the answers, which is annoying. But part of passing the test means understanding which type of answers they are looking for, and if you read enough sample questions you'll get the hang of the ncarb focus (safety, health & human welfare!). I borrowed the ALS books, read them once and the only thing i bought was the ncarb books - well worth it for me.

Jul 28, 04 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

I believe individual state boards determine what passes and what does not. The state of Florida, for example, looks more carefully at questions concerning lateral wind loads. I imagine Western states would look at questions on seismic loads more carefully. NCARB forwards the raw scores to the states, and they notify you if you have passed or not. Other than that, I don't know what is generally considered to be passing.

Jul 29, 04 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: