Archinect
anchor

Applying to M.Arch programs

ripomatic

I'm working in advertising, have no arch experience (formal education, or work). I'd like to apply to programs next year for fall 2008.
Should I quit my current job to work for a firm?
The prereqs that I'm missing for more M.Arch programs: survey courses in arch/arch history, physics.
Must I complete these courses prior to applying, or can I take them during/after?

Nov 5, 06 11:49 pm
geimanj

I gather that most programs will accept you without having those prerequisites fulfilled, but they expect you to fulfill them before the fall semester. You won't have time to do them once the school year starts. If you can swing it, seriously consider doing one of the immersive summer programs, such as Harvard's Career Discovery program. You'll generate work for a portfolio and get a mild taste of studio life. I think Cornell and Columbia also have a similar summer thing.

Nov 6, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

on the west coast, UCLA offers the jumpstart program which is also similar.

Nov 6, 06 2:42 am  · 
 · 
qs

As far as quitting your job and working for a firm, I'd say that it depends on what you would be doing. If you're going to be doing something that would contribute to your portfolio (doubtful if you don't have a b.arch or bs) then go for it. If you're going to be getting coffee, then what's the point? All of the M.Arch programs you would be applying for don't expect you to have any architectural experience. They want people who do things well in other fields, so focus on what you do well.

Nov 6, 06 11:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: