Archinect
anchor

Anti-Modern zoning?

frankencense

Is there a list somewhere of communities in which you have even a chance of building a modernist house? In the past three weeks I've slogged through zoning codes from three geographically separate cities, and invariably I come to the section about preserving "color, silhouette, scale, architectural style, detail, roof profile and neighborhood character" via an architectural review process. What are your experiences going through this process in various cities? Is it usually a mere formality or a veiled way of discouraging the real-estate-devaluation threat of modernism?

Nov 3, 06 5:27 pm
mdler

I LOVE DESIGN REVIEW BOARDS

Nov 3, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

a friend of mine is on the design review board of South Pasadena (in LA). Fun to discuss modern architecture with him...how they want to preserve the 'character' of the city. Nothing better than a 2006 interpretation of 1920's arts and crafts...

fuck progress

Nov 3, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

prospect, co.?

Nov 3, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
archtopus

I'd say that most historic neighborhoods are more concerned with the scale and texture of buildings than strict mimicking of historical styles.

The problem with Modernism is that it make every building say "Hey, look at me. I'm different!!!!" What's wrong with architecture that recedes into its context and enhances the conception of the whole? You can still do that with a clean, modern aesthetic.

Nov 3, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

city of lakewood is such a city where they have 'stamps' made to put on your site plan that dictates about roofs, style, color, neighborhood character etc... here are some houses that won city awards.

Nov 3, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

keep yer modernist monstrosities out of my historic neighborhood!!!!

Nov 3, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
French

In switzerland, in some small cities, I've seen the way they have to communicate their project to the neigborhood: some big metal sticks , probably some sort of scaffolding, that draw in the real world the silouhette of the house; no surprise, these silouhette are all the same drawing, since they all have to acquire public aprobation to get built...
It's probably the scariest way I've seen this Historic Preservation Conspiracy acting.

Nov 3, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Anything goes in the city of LA so long as you don't fall in a specific plan like HPOZ...

Nov 3, 06 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

City of Glendale only wants Armenian palaces...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_palace

Nov 3, 06 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my favorite part of the above mentioned definition...

(Many Persian palaces are designed by their occupants or by unlicensed architects.)

Nov 3, 06 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

silverlake that is the best thing about los angeles, we love la.
then again, lakewood is not too far.

hey french, good to hear from you.
they do that stick buildings here in malibu, california. at least they use to.

Nov 3, 06 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Architectural (or worse, Historic) review boards are the HMOs of the construction industry. What puzzles people like me (and architects in general) is that they never stop poorly designed crap from being built. The only thing it ever stops is people who want to be a little different.

I have also had multiple experiences where multiple architectural review boards have used their power to keep out undesireables (mixed race couple, same sex couple, person from "new" money.) They don't come right out and say it, but after the third time the review board has flip flopped on how high your chimney needs to be, you get the point.

I have nothing but contempt for them.

Nov 3, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
French

Hey Orhan, thanks! I've been pretty busy lattely. I just had my second daughter, actually two month ago august the 23rd to be accurate!
I've also moved into my own office, and have been over working for the past month or so. That's why I'm here at one am in the office finally taking some time to read the posts and getting to talk with you guys "live"...

Nov 3, 06 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

mdler - In fact, our (City of Glendale) design review boards are favorably disposed towards modern architecture, but as your wikipeida reference suggests, they don't see much of it. Nearly weekly they lament the lack of adventurousness in the projects they review - you are correct that many of the houses designed in the city are done by "building designers" rather than liscenced architects. But last week one of the DBRs harangued a SCIArc grad for a timid application of "deconstructive" (the architect's conceptual justification for exposed 2x4s on the facade).

Nov 3, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

congratualations french. haha. # 2. i am september 23. i have a good friend aug 23. good money people. this girl might save you in the future.;)
anyway, we can take this to thread central where i know you've many friends.

back to subjectat hand;
the amount of 'modern' homes in los angeles considerably jumped many folds since the 70's. it is not unusual to see several so called modern concepts on each block these days.

Nov 3, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

those persian palaces sound pretty cool. do they really have statues of lions?

Nov 3, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
knock

no better way to preserve your "historic" neighborhood than filling it with half-assed replicas ...

lion statues, though, are awesome.

Nov 3, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the city of redondo beach is anti-modern...they're design review booklet is specific on what they don't want and have pictures of examples of what not to do...

Nov 3, 06 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

*their...

Nov 3, 06 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

alan,

I dont believe you

Mdler

Nov 3, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Its true, I just went thru Glendale's Design Review board w/ a very 'progressive' design proposal. Nothing but encouraging remarks...

btw, thanks Alan!

Nov 3, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i hate to bum all you staritects out, but most people don't like fancy modern architecture

Nov 3, 06 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

However, most people do seem to prefer (or at least settle for) poorly made and designed crap vado...

Nov 4, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thats prolly true crow. i work in the rare air of money and taste...

Nov 4, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: