Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

laurilan
http://www.financialaid.uc.edu/documents/2007/0607SPC.pdf

here's an example of a change of circumstance form for those interested.

Apr 4, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

WonderK, you want to go here, and click the link that says "Special Circumstances". Your special circumstance is that you're not currently in school, and therefor your taxes are not representative of what you will be earning once you're back in school.

Apr 4, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

damnit. My EFC was like, $14.5k. I hope I'm not looking at the same financial aid package...

Apr 4, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
+i

well luckily i had just graduated may '06... and i started working august 1... so my income was really low for my 06 taxes, plus i was able to claim a whole bunch of education stuff on my taxes as well as interest.

Apr 4, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

Anyone else find it odd that if my count is correct only 3 people on this board have heard from Parson's and that was over 3 weeks ago. I have a theory. Do you think Parson's might be doing 2nd rounds of acceptance if they don't get enough yes replys? With their deadline being 15 days before Pratts do you think they might be able to snag a few away from Pratt if they throw enough money at them?

Apr 4, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
+i

haha--- ive been begging everyone for scholarships... including former employers (small firms, so i was personally close with some of the people there)... and one firm just wrote back that they are looking into sending me a scholarship... SWEET... maybe i will be able to go to CMU :)

Apr 4, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
black francis

WhatToDo

I am in the same boat as you, still nothing from UW. What gives? Did you call them? I had previously set my calling deadline for tomorrow. Let me know if you hear anything.

Apr 4, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

black francis

you like the pixies?

Apr 4, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

"I'm not black like Barry White, no I am white like Frank Black is"

Apr 4, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
black francis

exactly

Apr 4, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
black francis

I am actually a bigger frank black fan than a pixies fan but the pixies are amazing as well

Apr 4, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

ahhhhhh, I need to home to my mailbox. What am I doing drafting when there could be life-changing information just sitting there, waiting for me???!

Apr 4, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

nice bloodhound gang quote

Apr 4, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Nothing from Cornell today, in case anybody was wondering. I'll call them again tomorrow.

Apr 4, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

I got my CCA "financial aid" package today. $7200 scholarship, $2000 in work-study. This, over the course of two years, still leaves me with $54,000 to pay out of pocket/in loans.

Excuse me, but that's just not going to happen.

Apr 4, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

rationalist, have I ever told you how much I love you.

Ok maybe that's a little creepy. But I do think you are wicked cool.

Where's baboomba!? Come back.

Apr 4, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

it took me going back up through the page to figure out what I said that got me such a positive response.... but that was nothing. I've gone through that process with those people twice, and the first time yielded moderate results, with the second time yielding some very good results.

Apr 4, 07 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

rationalist, ugogirl. You already got decent funding from UW right? If Pratt doesn't throw dollars at you, it's a fine place to be.

Being a student in NYC was really stressful (though you are older than I was when I started, and your program is shorter, so that may help) and I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone who isn't a) obsessivley determined to attend their NYC school, and/or b) independently wealthy/has rich parents/or a full ride including living expenses.

Apr 4, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

yeah. I was starting to get really excited about Pratt today after looking over the program again, and the fact is I could get a good internship in NYC (yay for having attended the University of Special Connections). But I've just got to remember that even if I don't get jack squat from Pratt, I was just as excited about UW a week ago, so there's no way to lose here.

Apr 4, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Congrats to all you Pratt acceptees!!!

scspisak- thanks for the info on Austin! It's pathetic how many times I called and emailed them with no avail when all I should have done was post the rant on Archinect to get my answers. Anyway, they only gave me about $1650, which is sad, but it still puts the cost at almost half of Penn. I just don't know what to do...
I thought I came to terms with the debt, but now I really am not sure.

I am visiting both Syracuse and Penn this weekend and all I can hope for is a gut feeling of clarity. Syracuse is half the price of Penn because of scholarships.

black francis - I called UW last Monday 3/26 and they said letters were being sent out that day- but they couldn't tell me anything over the phone. I called again this morning and the receptionist put me through to the voicemail of the admissions chick- who, again, didn't call me back. I stressed the urgency of a response- explaining that I had to tell Cincinnati a yes/no by Friday.

At this point I think Cincinnati is out, though the cost when considering the co-op program is pretty good, I am just not convinced the program is right for me. Again, I haven't received an official aid package from them either. I left a message for someone today and now we are playing phone tag. At least someone actually called me back this time.

Anyway, I thought I was really leaning towards Penn, but now I am just not sure.

Here are my options:

UCLA- not going- Amongst many other reasons, I need to get out of LA.
Penn- most appealing and most frightening financially (realistically over $150k debt)
Syracuse- love the program/ good scholarship/ not sure about the opportunities upon graduation.
Austin- hate the bureaucracy, love aspects of the program
Cincinnati- like the co-op, not terribly intrigued by the program, hate the bureaucracy.

As much as I hate to hear myself say it, it seems I really don’t want to go to a public school. All of my experiences with them have been impossible. In contrast, when I called a private school to ask questions, the dean called me back a couple hours later (unprovoked) to follow up.

I'm obviously very stuck...

On the plus side, I got a manicure today…it’s the little things that make me :)

Good luck to all those still waiting!!! This is tough, but still very exciting! The 15th is coming….

Apr 5, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 
black francis

Well, correct me if I am wrong but I believe UW had their open house last Friday. I think it is a little inconsiderate to leave people hanging past the open house. I would think that I'm not in, but who knows. I guess I can muster up the patience to wait a few more days.

Apr 5, 07 2:57 am  · 
 · 
designbydesign

150K? 1/4 of a nice 3 bedroom house. I don't know what to tell you, but good luck.

Apr 5, 07 2:58 am  · 
 · 
designbydesign

i mean 4 bedroom.

Apr 5, 07 2:59 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

150k? ouch. i think that would make the decision for me - honestly. i've got a fair amount of debt right now and am making it, but it's tight.

i got my package from pratt yesterday, but no info on any additional money. i'm beginning to think they don't want me that bad.

Apr 5, 07 8:06 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

so, i constantly check the decision status online for ga tech, and it has always said "no decision has been made". i have no faith that tech will ever update this, but to my surprise, yesterday it said "a decision has been made*". i'm scared to death to scroll down to the bottom of the page and see what it says next to the *. it probably took me a good bit, but when i get to it, all it says is "2 letters have been mailed, one from the graduate school and one from the college of architecture. do not call us!" lovely!

Apr 5, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

that's crazy riedell! if they have a website where you can check your applicaton status then why can't they post whether or not you were accepted!?

Apr 5, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
+i

riedell, i had the same experience with my online application to VA Tech... and one day it said "a decision has been made". the next day it said "a decision has been made" and underneath it said "acceptance". the next day it said:
A decision has been made: acceptance: then two buttons- "Will attend" "Will not attend".
Thank goodness i didnt accidentally click the wrong button.

keep checking back, and i would call them anyways. or write a letter to the department and say you need to make a decision asap and are waiting on their reply.

Apr 5, 07 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've been checking my status on Cornell's website at least once a day, and all it's been saying since January is "Transcripts Received - File Complete". However, there's a disclaimer that mentions that not all departments update the graduate school website when an admissions decision has been made.

Congrats on your Pratt acceptance, Kalyani. Do you think you'll end up going there?

Apr 5, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Living in Gin,

We regret to inform you that your application for admission to our professional Master of Architecture program was not approved.  As the number of students who can be accepted is limited and the overall quality of applications is very high, we are not able to offer admission to many excellent students wishing to study at Cornell.

We appreciate your interest in Cornell and wish you much success in continuing your studies at another institution.
Sincerely,

Lily Chi
Director of Graduate Studies

Game over, thanks for playing, better luck next year.

New York City, here I come.

Apr 5, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Fuck. Sorry, LIG. Really.

Apr 5, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

what to do - i forgot to mention this, but have you looked on cincinnati's financial aid website?

if you go to the student financial aid office website, there's a place where you can "check my aid" - maybe there's something there?

lig - sorry to hear it. good luck with your back-up plan!

Apr 5, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
+i

screw em LIG... move to NYC and work on other things... find your passions and have a life... as you begin to prepare for next year's applications you will realize you've learned more and will be better prepared than you thought possible.
see it as an opportunity ... and create opportunities for yourself... and before you know it you will be back here blogging about your amazing experiences and your confidence in your applications for next year :)
we're all rooting for you

Apr 5, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

Sorry Gin :(

Apr 5, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Oh dang LIG... I'm really sorry to hear that. I was among the people silently rooting for you to get into Cornell :(

But ya... NYC plan sounds good. Are you going to do the Columbia program? I don't know what the point of it (or any of the other schools' programs) would be for someone with so much experience. It always sounded to me like it was for people who have no architecture background and wanted to know what it's like, rather than for people who are, as you are, looking for more creative projects. Am I totally off base? I applied to CDisco at GSD when I was a junior in college but never went because I got 2 architecture-related paying jobs in the city instead. What about maybe just going to lectures around the city (there are always tons) and maybe doing a competition or two, and getting involved with AFH-NY? You'd produce the same amount of work and probably save a few thousand dollars... and it would probably be more on your level.

Apr 5, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

ugh, sorry LIG. I was really pulling for ya! Just remember with every door that closes another one opens. NYC+lots of small boutique firms = cool job and cooler projects.
Once we both get settled in NYC, first beers on me.

Apr 5, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 

But if his grades are the thing dragging down his applications, then going there and doing very well will be demonstrative that he's willing to put in the effort for grad school.

My condolances, Gin. Go show them what they're missing.

Should I even bother to talk to CCA about the financial non-aid situation? They're writing me emails, including the chair of the program, expressing their hope that I'll join them in the fall... and I just can't do that if I have to take out $54,000 in loans. Should I call and try to negotiate? Or not bother since some of the luster has worn off the program for me and I'm not sure that I'd go if I did successfully negotiate a big aid package?

Apr 5, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

i'd try negotiating - you've got nothing to lose. if they say no, they say no.

Apr 5, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, I feel like sending the link to this thread to Cornell and telling them to let LIG in. This is bullshit.

Apr 5, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

good point rationalist... but he's doing well in the current bachelor's program now, eh? Wouldn't that be enough since as far as I know the summer things aren't graded exactly?

And yeah... I agree, it doesn't hurt to ask if "There is anything they can do to help."

Apr 5, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 
va bene

So sorry Gin- I was really hoping we'd get you over at Cornell. Best of luck in NYC!

Apr 5, 07 11:18 am  · 
 · 
+i

rationalist--- negotiate your heart out.

Apr 5, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Thanks for all your kind words. I didn't really give a shit about the other four schools (okay, maybe I did), but the Cornell rejection really stings.

That said, I knew from the beginning of this process that going to grad school this year was a stretch for me, for a number of reasons; I look at this mainly as a dress rehearsal for 2008, and I have a much better idea of what I need to do to improve my chances next year.

I plan on attending the Columbia summer program, so at least I can take some consolation in the fact that, regardless of my rejections, I'll still be earning some course credit at an Ivy League architecture program within the next few months (which will also be accepted for credit in my undergrad program). Although I'll most likely be surrounded by 19-year-olds for five weeks, my reasons for going to the program are:

1) To get some additional projects for the portfolio, especially projects that show much more in the way of process, diagramming, etc. I think this was a major weakness in my 2007 portfolio. True, I have a lot of professional experience at architecture firms, but most of it has been CAD monkey work. I don't think admissions committees are particularly interested in seeing my flawless door hardware schedules.

2) Although I have a 3.85 GPA in my current undergrad program and I have decent GRE scores, I have a long series of truly abysmal grades from my years at UIC in the 90's. As rationalist mentions, the summer studio will hopefully be a way to demonstrate that I can hack it in a top-tier architecture program.

3) Networking. Hopefully I'll be able to get at least one good recommendation letter out of the summer program, and if I can get a couple good job leads as well, then so much the better. An added bonus will be the opportunity to meet some like-minded people and kick-start my social life soon after arriving in NYC.

None of this necessarily rules out attending lectures and events and entering competitions over the following year, and hopefully I'll get a job in a good enough firm that I'll have something other than door hardware schedules to show for it this time next year.

On top of all that, I think the change of scenery will be good for me, and hopefully living in NYC again will inspire my creativity in ways that I haven't yet imagined.

Apr 5, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

I'm still considering taking a year off too. I think it could be great.

Apr 5, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm really sorry, Gin. I haven't said anything up until now because I didn't want to jinx you. I wonder if the admissions people got spooked by the circumstances with your BA (is that what it was, a BA?)....

However, it seems like it will be a blessing in disguise. You had a lot going on, and all sorts of transcripts and other shite to worry about, so you know the ropes now, at least.......plus this will give you the time you need to finish your BA cleanly and do your summer program, etc. We've seen a lot of success stories from people on here who applied last year, didn't get in, worked for the whole next year on their portfolio, and then they got in! I think we will hear the same thing from you next year ;o)

On a side note, how happy are you to be quitting your current job!!?!?

I cannot express to you how glad I will be to quit my job when the time comes. I'm looking at the calendar now....3 more months? Really? Ugh.

Apr 5, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm strongly considering giving my PM a three-month resignation notice just so I can get it off my chest. Does that sound like a really bad idea?

Apr 5, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Gin, in the way you've described you firm, yes! It sounds like they would hold it over your head and possibly guilt you or try to squeeze out more work or simply be catty. Then there is the chance that they will can you before the 3 months just out of spite and you'll be stuck. Ugh. Give them a reasonable amount of time to find a replacement - maybe a little more than 2 weeks, but not 3 months!

Apr 5, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'll probably give them a month. If they ask about my grad school plans in the meantime, I'll tell them I won't be going to grad school this year and that I'll be working full-time for another year. I just won't mention where I'll be working.

Apr 5, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

That sounds like a better plan. Even my office, which overall took the grad school thing really well, occasionally gets catty about my leaving. I'm sure it could get a lot worse if one was leaving for other reasons.

I returned the email of the program chair at CCA, expressing my enthusiasm regarding the program there, but disappointment that I am simply unable to shoulder the burden of such an oppressive amount of loans, and asking whether my aid package was negotiable. So we'll see what happens with that.

Apr 5, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

LIG, don't fret! it will all be for the better. you will end up with better opportunities and with a year of new experiences, you will be entering grad school with more confidence (financial too) than ever and you will ultimately get the most out of your graduate money. and if it weren't for this application process this year, you may have never been inspired to leave the god-forsaken midwest.

and like i had said before, i think the columbia summer program will be great for you. they have studios of all levels for people (even for people with undergraduate arch majors/degrees) and i think the explorations will be very different from the traditional arch education. and there definitely weren't any 19 year olds. there were a couple of people in their 40s too.

best of luck LIG!

Apr 5, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
+i

rationalist-i just read this article:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/articles/brief/cbhelp_brief.php

this part applies to people appealing for more aid:

"Driving for dollars.
If the out-of-pocket costs for the student's top choice look too high, it can't hurt to appeal for more aid. "But don't use the term negotiate," warns Don Betterton, the recently retired director of Princeton's financial aid office. Do it in person, if possible, Betterton recommends. "That is much more effective than a letter or E-mail." And if you have a chance to increase your aid by $4,000 or $5,000, that's worth the trip. Bring as much documentation for your case as possible, he says, including reasons why the family can't afford the expected contribution, any new honors or achievements that make the student a great catch for the school, and better offer letters from competing schools. Sweeten the message with a little (honest) flattery by emphasizing, "You are our first choice," Betterton advises."

hmmmm

Apr 5, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: