Archinect
anchor

Hollow Clay Tile (Wall Sections)

duke19_98

I'm desperately looking for some typical construction details documenting standard clay hollow tile with brick facing. I'm working on the adaptive use of a Dallas high school that was built in 1908 by Lang and Witchell. The only current drawings of the structure are some electrical plans from '71. These plans have the exterior walls to be 18" thick. I've done some research in the 1932 edition of Graphic Standards and have found some details that show hollow tile construction ranging from 10" - 16" thick. However, I do not believe that the walls in this building are actually 18" thick. The building has been gated off and I have not yet been allowed access to it to measure the wall thickness at the windows. Do you guys know where I might be able to find details showing typical construction of the 1908 time period? thanks.

Jul 26, 04 11:46 pm
el jeffe
this may be helpful
Jul 27, 04 10:24 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

That's el jeffe, this looks interesting. I'll review it later.

Jul 27, 04 10:39 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

"Thanks"----is what I meant to say. Some times my brain doesn't work as fast as my fingers.

Jul 27, 04 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel
http://www.huduser.org/publications/destech/fire.html

In the .pdf are many assemblies and drawings - will help with any life-safety/fire seperation notes you need for a set of drawings. If you can't download it I can eMail it to you.

Jul 27, 04 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
cheapo

My question is this:
Why is hollow clay tile (I have also heard it referred to as 'speed tile') obsolete?

Light, strong, fire resistant (how fire resistant, I don't know) + you can bash a hole for a pipe or conduit with ease.

Jul 29, 04 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

See effe's link above for one possible reason it is "obsolete."

Jul 29, 04 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

Bashing a hole for conduit kills the fire rating....so why use it for both?

Jul 29, 04 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
aldorossi

Hollow clay is virtually useless in seismic areas. It almost explodes, no tensile strength, and impossible to reinforce. Ouch. Outlawed in So Cal, really.

Jul 29, 04 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
cheapo

"Bashing a hole for conduit kills the fire rating" - well I assume it is possible to grout around the conduit. Maybe not.

I grew up in Ontario, Canada and presently live in Nova Scotia. Seismic considerations are not a concern in either location and I have seen numerous old buildings built with speed tile, but nobody uses it anymore.

Perhaps the interest in other clay building systems (eg. terra cotta rainscreens) will rekindle interest in speed tile.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there are additives which might substantially improve the elastic performance of the tile.

I've got no axe to grind. I just think the tile is pretty.

Jul 29, 04 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: