Archinect
anchor

Job-Seeker's Central

treekiller

Since archinect has a dedicated page for employers looking to hire- here's a thread for all those job seekers to hang it on out.

Rules - fairly simple (but if you don't play by them, then we won't help).

#1- for members of the Archinect community ONLY. (that means no first time posters). If you've already made double digits postings on multiple threads or have a school-blog, then your in. is this so mean?

#2 - be specific as possible about your skills, location, residency, experience, availability, education, and whatever else makes you a great employee.

#3 - please don't post your entire resume - keep it simple.

#4 - please let us know when you land a new gig so we stop pestering you to join our firm.

SO if you spot some skilz that your firm needs, send an email to that lucky dawg requesting a complete resume/application (and take the conversation off-line).

happy hunting!

(oh, all other employment issues have already been discussed- try searching)

Oct 19, 06 9:39 pm
treekiller

minneapolis (just moved here so I won't be leaving anytime soon)

lead intern architect/landscape architect w/6+ years, LEED-AP

m.arch/m.la

mixed-use, commercial, institutional, waterfronts, educational, urban revitalization, and civic buildings and spaces. Expert on green roofs, hardscapes, and sustainable sites.

master-planning, site analysis, concept design, sd, dd, cd & ca, client/consultant coordination, presentations and public meeting facilitation.

CAD/3D/graphics/excel

great team player

Oct 19, 06 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
nitpicker

where'd you work in l.a.?

Oct 20, 06 1:48 am  · 
 · 

may not be what you're looking to do, treekiller, but you might try going to some of the prominent/better architecture firms in town and finding out who they typically go to for landscape architecture/design. firms like julie snow, vincent james, meyer scherer rockcastle, etc, might have some good recommendations for you.

and if you can get to know some of the people at these places, they may be willing to introduce you around in the future...?

i only recommend this because, from my time in mpls, i don't remember any landscape architects.

Oct 23, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Done that, did that... but many thanks Steve. Looks like some good news may show later this week- have gotten signals that an offer is in the works... with a firm that works for all of the above.

The issue is not to be the lack of quality firms (or identifying them). Its that they aren't hiring - that is the frustrating part. I've identified all the places that I'd be happy working for and saturated them with resumes. So when should I start scraping the bottom of the barrel and approach the suburban strip mall farms/firms?

My criteria are simple, I need a firm that cares about sustainable design, is multi-disciplinary (either arch/planning, 'scape/planning, or arch/'scape), and value collaboration.

If I wasn't a year or so short of IDP and in need of a cash flow, I'd launch my own practice in a heartbeat. Other then Vado, and the 'nectors in Chicago, the midwesterner 'nectors seem to be out on their own... wonder why?

Looking at the archinect jobs page and there are dozens of postings for LA & NY each week. There has been one posting in the past few months for Mpls... the local ASLA chapter has one posting from september, the local AIA has lots of postings from Ellerbe Beckett (and why would I work there?) and a scattering of posts from suburban practices that don't meet 2 out of three of my criteria.

It's not like this place is stagnant, lots of cranes and holes in the ground around town. It seems that there is a perfect balance between hiring and graduates from U of MN. Between me and Beta, we've overloaded the system (good thing we're not competing for the same job).

Oct 23, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
A

treekiller - Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. Weekend was busy and still haven't had a chance to poll my friends in the field to see who's busy. AIA convention is next month and that's where I usually catch up on the local scene.

I'm wondering what firms you find "acceptable" and have saturated with resumes. My guess is the firms that are actively hiring are suburban production houses. Still, I don't see any shame in taking what you can get. Use the experience to fill out IDP and move on when the right job appears. God knows we all got plenty of projects we're not so proud of.

Oct 23, 06 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

least my peers at archinect think I've been slacking for the past two months as I look for work, I've:

made over 300 comments, and 25 posts to archinect

written a 6000 word essay about rural infrastructure for a book

just started reading William Cronon's uncommon ground - 450 pages to go

read Zinn's History

started learning the trees of minnesota

weeded my yard by hand - think I got most of the dandylions

and a few other things to keep me sane...

Oct 23, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

so treekiller..are you a landscape architect or architect? i'm confused.
i know someone that works for vja and i would work with him again in
a second...at the least he may be able to give you info about mpls
and who they work with. just a good guy in general..email me if you're
interested.

Oct 23, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
raj

hey i will throw my job search in to this...

i am just starting the search. my 2 wks ends 10-31 and i move up to washington DC.

i have 10yrs experience, m-arch, b-ed...have been primarily working on residential for 6 yrs--(i would not have a problem getting back into the commercial side).

ok...let the offers commence :)

Oct 23, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Lars-

I'm confused too. Whatcha gonna do with an M.LA & M.Arch?

VJAA got my resume few months ago - I like their work, but never got much follow up interest... It's all about timing - they had a job posting back in march.

Oct 23, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Raj- avoid the ellerbe-becket DC office...

I have some connections to EE&K in DC if you want to go into education and planning (and some large-scale high-density mixed-use). Send me an email if they intregue you.

Oct 23, 06 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: