Archinect
anchor

how bad is my salary

poly

25, male, B.arch, licenced architect. Mumbai, India .. working for a brilliant small firm .. (u know ... "we're radical but people don't get it") get paid $3300 annually .. including ALL perks , accomodation .....

u think i should start selling newpaper instead ?

Oct 13, 06 2:17 am
24-7tecture

do it for the love not the $$$

Poly its hard to say if 3300 is bad - I'm in the us and am not sure about the translation from india to us in $ terms. I would ask your self a few questions: Can you live of off 3300 or do you feel like your hardly getting by? What is the 'average' income in india? Is it possible to gain a raise every year or so in the firm you work for?
I would say if your happy not only with whom you work for but (more importantly) the work you do than stay with it - money sucks in general and architects typicaly don;t make much. Good luck!

Oct 13, 06 2:33 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

thats $275 per month = say 1.7$ per hour (depending on 160 hours per month and i know you must be working much more than that)...so in short, yes you might want to start selling newspaper. but seriously I dont know how you manage with that amount in mumbai....

a few years back i was on a construction site in ahmedabad and the laborers were getting 80 rupees per hour....

Oct 13, 06 2:37 am  · 
 · 
poly

i know .... ....
thanks for the reply . ofcourse its the 'love' i'm doing it for .... dude its 27 months since i'm in the same firm ... the figure's not like absolute shit in India ... ..... i guess i'm making as much as a cabbie or a carpenter ...

getting by is also not an issue .... i know people who can 'suvive' in half of this figure .. which obviously means ... no beer, no new clothes, no trips or outings, .. ..the figure's low enough .. no taxes too .....!

the question is ... u need to develop a being outside architecture too .... to enrich the architect finally .... and i guess a lil financial aid is a must for that .....

honestly .. i posted ..BECAUSE i saw the salary poll today after a long long time ..... and was amazed to look at some of the figures ! people lying or .. is it really getting that preposterously prosperous ?

Oct 13, 06 2:46 am  · 
 · 
Katze

How much does the newspaper pay to throw papers? No, I am not saying this to be facetious – just trying to get a handle on the difference between your pay and throwing newspapers. But 24-7tecture is right – do what you want to do because you love it, not because you have to. How could throwing newspapers be satisfying:) Look for other opportunities if you are not satisfied (sounds like you are), but stick with it poly.

Oct 13, 06 2:54 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

in Mumbai ,they pay u in dollars !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yaar tu Kaun Bhai hai ??

Oct 13, 06 3:10 am  · 
 · 
Katze

so poly, are you getting paid $33,000 U.S.dollars????

Oct 13, 06 3:17 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

sorry just kidding dude.

poly, ur salary is decent enough.

DO NOT ..I repeat

DO NOT make the mistake of converting our currency to dollars or pounds and then compare and feel bad.
what your getting here at your level here is equivalent to around 2500-3500$ in US and apprx 750-1000 pounds in UK

So thats an average level throughout the world.

You'r fine ,dont worry abt making money so soon , it will come eventually, just gain experience and move on to better fields.

yea and of course money isnt everything in life,There's also snazzy cars,jewels,furs,yachts,cigars, tc etc

Oct 13, 06 3:19 am  · 
 · 
Hames

well, i agree with poly, i am working for about 6 years and licensed architects in the Philippines is only getting the bottom at 240 USD a month. Competition is not fair, with unlicensed and undergraduates getting architectural jobs in some firms.

What's the use of regulations and licensure, anyway? I am considering to move on to become one of the many local architects flooding Dubai as AUTOCad operator in this case.

Oct 13, 06 5:04 am  · 
 · 
comb
" i guess i'm making as much as a cabbie or a carpenter ..."

sounds about right, then .... comparatively !

Oct 14, 06 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

"brilliant small firm"? how brilliant can it be if thats all they're paying you? just a thought...

Oct 14, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Poly,

You should find yourself a nice Indian Girl that lives in America and have her parents promise her to you....then you could come here and be broke but happy!

Oct 14, 06 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

and why would someone be happy in america?

Oct 15, 06 2:01 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

sameold, cos its ze land of ze free and ze brave and whazever

Oct 15, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Caryatid15

I think you get paid better in Mumbai. Somewhere in back in the east they pay you roughly about the same - - but accomodations are your responsibility. No housing allowance whatsover. Explains why the architects from there move to Dubai...

Oct 15, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

all i'm thinkin is i need to retire to mumbai.

poly, to answer your question...the salaries in the poll are real...at
least for the u.s. some may be a bit high..i started at 24,500 in
1996. i'm making about double that now...but i live in new york..and i'm
underpaid...but comfortable. and you can make more as a consultant..
something like $35/hr though an agency and more than that as an
individual.

Oct 15, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

wow. lars, YOU are the one who should be complaining about being underpaid, don't know how you get by on 50k in nyc. i barely get by on
75k in LA(w/family however) and i know the NY is pricier than here.

as for the mumbai $, it's low even for india.

Oct 15, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

Oct 16, 06 2:42 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

p brewster.

i supplement my income by playin poker and painting. but nyc isn't
all that expensive in a lot of ways...especially alcohol and food. i have
found a ton of cheap bars and restaurants. and i'm single and don't buy
all that much else (other than books).

and i found a really cheap apartment in manhattan...first person who
actually moved form brooklyn and had their rent go down.

Oct 16, 06 4:26 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

dont feel bad chaps, their currency may be higher, their architecture may be better BUT our film industry is bigger !
Ta Da !

Oct 16, 06 4:37 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

nevermore, are you suggesting american architecture is better than that in india? I suggest you come visit the US!

Oct 16, 06 5:50 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

its not ?..dont know yaar,

but am sure many would vehemently disagree with you. I guess it depends on which city u live in.

Oct 16, 06 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: