Archinect
anchor

Bring an iPad to an interview?

newfuture

Would it be considered pretentious to bring an iPad to a job interview in lieu of a physical portfolio? It seems that a PDF on an iPad with the retina display would be able to display work with a higher quality than a printed portfolio. I still appreciate the time and care that goes into a physical portfolio, but it's just not as flexible as an iPad to be able to zoom into high quality drawings etc. 

Apr 22, 12 3:37 pm

new - it's really hard to say. i don't think it would be pretentious - after all, i use them with client presentations and it's rapidly getting to be a kind of normal tool. 

what's tough to judge is: would you be fiddling with the technology too much (zooming in/out, etc.) and not really focusing on actually communicating with the person? and, in that regard, there's something to be said for the traditional printed book. it's 'there' but it doesn't distract the same way. 

but, that's just how i feel today. so, not pretentious, but could be an unintentional distraction. if you take it, let us know the feedback you get. i'd personally be curious to know how it turns out.

Apr 22, 12 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

i would. you might also get them thinking, "man this would be a great way to present to clients. but we need someone who can sort all of this stuff out." bam... job qualification. 

its a new technology that is perfect for portfolios. i woudl never use a laptop, but an ipad laying on the table is perfect.

Apr 22, 12 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

i've had candidates do this. it's fine. 

to address greg's concern: don't play with it. avoid unnecessary manipulation of the images in the interview unless it's triggered by the discussion. have it ready to go. just flip through pages as you would an 'analog' portfolio.  i.e., have your sh*t together. 

Apr 22, 12 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I echo Steven's advice. And, avoid the temptation to include tons of images simply because it's easy to include more. Don't put in anything you wouldn't put in a printed portfolio -- except maybe some short video footage if you have something that's highly relevant to your situation.

I've had candidates bring digital portfolios to interviews many times -- this works well when the candidate keeps it simple and the technology doesn't become an issue. When the candidate spends a lot of time fiddling and taking the device back to maneuver to a new file or the technology doesn't work as expected, it can be a disaster.

Apr 22, 12 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Good Idea - Where I work, we do all of our presentations on our principal's ipad - they just pass it around the conference table.

Apr 22, 12 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

The best part about ipad presentations, as opposed to paper ones is that you can show videos (3d animations, walkthrus of built projects etc) on the fly. Ive found that to be a big advantage of using the iPad. Laptops are just too clunky...

Apr 23, 12 3:29 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I've used it in interviews, it went over well.

Apr 30, 12 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
w. architect

Yeah, bring it, and make sure you have Justin Beber on your powerpoint.

I love it when you waste my time, when it does not work...or your eye contact is more focused on the screen then on communicating with me on the job interview.

Please, also text and tweet while I am interviewing you...it makes me feel all warm and gooey, knowing that you will be a "paid" employee who considers your co-workers and other people less then your own self-centered interests while at work.

May 28, 12 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
newfuture

Update:

The iPad went well in the interview. I kept it very simple - the ability to zoom in on a detailed drawings was incredibly useful. The only drawback I didn't think of ahead of time was to bring a stand or something to prop it up with because it worked well when I was only talking with one other person but as soon as another partner came in to look it was difficult to split it between the 3 of us. 

Jun 11, 12 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Wait, you only brought one iPad to the interview?

Was this for a janitorial position?

Jun 11, 12 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

rusty, wanna make out?

Jun 11, 12 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i think a Rusty Shackleford is a new sexual position involving the follow; a unicorn, one clown car, three pygmy sheep and a bag of smashed double whoopers w/ cheese.

Jun 11, 12 9:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: