Archinect
anchor

Juggling work and applying for grad school-advice would help

planX

I am applying to east coast schools for enrollment in fall "07.
I have a slow paced job, which is nice, but I have been working here for 8 1/2 years and I still do not have a full 2weeks off for vac. time to go and visit the schools! My boss and I are not getting along since that subject causes tension with him. I am applying to 4 schools. I am getting recomm. letters and working on my portfolio all of the time. How much time do I need to go visit with my grad. advisors and maybe interview to apply scholarships. Should I get a new job for one year that has more vac. time. Any advice would help. Thanks

Oct 12, 06 2:46 pm

I wouldn't try getting a new job, because when you've worked there for less than a year, you will probably get even LESS vacation time.

Are the schools in a semi-concentrated area? I would say shoot for one day/night at each.

Oct 12, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and btw, I'm in the same sort of place only my employer doesn't know, and I'm taking night classes. So I feel your pain. I'm not visiting any schools until acceptance letters go out, so that I only have to visit the shortlist (applying to 6).

Oct 12, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Most of the usual-suspect M.Arch programs don't require interviews - and some don't do them at all. Before you get too worried about your schedule I'd check the procedures of the 4 schools you're considering. There isn't usually a lot of meeting with advisors or anything like that during the admissions procedures at most architecture schools. Admissions are based very heavily on portfolios, with recommendations and statements of purpose tied for a somewhat distant second place in terms of importance, and GPA and GRE scores figuring much less importantly. Interviews are usually more informational and mostly for the prospective students' benefit.

Schools that do require interviews for things like scholarship applications are often happy to schedule these in conjunction with their fall open house - so check that possibility as well. Fall open houses usually happen on a Thursday or Friday, so you may be able to schedule a weekend visit that wouldn't require too much vacation time from work. When I visited grad schools I had a couple meetings scheduled for scholarship consideration and each one took only about 1/2 hour at most. It certainly was not a very time-consuming thing and paled in comparison to the months I spent on preparing portfolios.

Even if an interview isn't required and a school's open house doesn't fit your schedule I'd definately advise visiting the schools at some point - but some people wait to do this until they find out which ones they're accepted to in the spring. Sometimes it is better to visit at a time other than open house to get a better picture of the real day-to-day life of the place. If you know when you'll be visiting you can usually call the school to arrange a meeting with somebody to answer your questions - especially if you've already been accepted - but this will sometimes be an admissions committee member or even a student, so not necessarily an interview situation.

I'd suggest visiting different schools on different weekends, if possible - and if you have to you couldn't you use some sick days and not tell your boss what's going on? Why do you not have 2 weeks of vacation after 8 years??

Oct 12, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

if you have not had 2 weeks of vacation in 8 years ( i find it almost impossible to believe actually), then you need another job anyways, whether you go to grad school or not

Oct 12, 06 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
planX

It is a very touchy subject with him, we have argued about it several times. He is a great person except for the vac. time! A year and half ago, he raised the 5 days off to 8 1/2. yes 8 1/2. I can't figure it out either.

Oct 12, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

8.5 vacation days combined with two weekends (four days) gives you 12.5 total days for travel and visiting schools. Assuming all four schools are on the East Coast, you should have plenty of time to spend a day or two at each school.

Oct 12, 06 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: