Archinect
anchor

calculate roof cross slope

Ms Beary

How do you calculate the height and slope of a roof cricket? It is crucial to the height of the parapet and the roof is a 2:12 so not talking inches here.

I need the main roof sloping at 2:12, then I am cricketing towards some scuppers. I have the cricket "fold" lines at 45 degrees in plan which I think is correct, and this valley must maintain the minimum 2:12 slope for the roofing product to maintain warranty.

What I need to know is how to calculate the roof slope of the cricket to get this 2:12 and also how high up the cricket will be going as my parapet will need to cover it. By the way, the parapet top height is not the same all around, it must be lower where said cricket will occur, thus a critical moment and thus such a question.

Oct 11, 06 7:24 pm
NSJ

Sorry its not the actual answer you're looking for but can I suggest a call to a roofing rep. We are in the process off designing the slopes for new tapered insulation on a triangular flat roof with existng roof drains. It was killing us. The roof guy came in and drew it out in ten minutes. He's been doing it every day for 20 years. They should be more than willing to spend a bit of time in the hopes that you may spec their product.

Oct 11, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I think i figured it out. I was looking at a problem too closely to see the answer. The bit about the minimum slope at the valley can't be true. Both the roof and the cricket are at 2:12. The valley is slightly flatter just like a valley in a hip roof as the run is a bit longer with the same rise.
I was thinking too hard.

Oct 11, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

yup - min roof slopes are the based upon the main runs - valleys and ridges are flatter or steeper, depending.

the last two buildings i've stamped had the roof slopes created by the steel framing, not tapered rigid. talk about pulling your hair out keeping positive drainage...

Oct 11, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Draw a line perpendicular to the fold back to the corner of the cricket. This is your run.

Oct 11, 06 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: