Archinect
anchor

Chances for MArch Admission?

baboomba

I'm dying to know what my chances are, so I'm just going to ask.

Here's my profile:

BS in Mechanical Engineering from UT - Austin
Registered P.E.
Older Student.
UT - Austin GPA 2.04 (15 years ago)
Recent GPA in Art and Architecture prerequisites - 4.00 (this year)
GRE: 740 Verbal, 800 Quantitative, and 4.0/6.0 Analytical Writing
Good drawing/graphic design ability.
Restored my 1908 historic home myself. Also designed and built an addition with help.

I'm planning on applying to Harvard, MIT, Virginia, UT - Austin, and maybe a couple of others.

Thanks for any opinions.

Oct 5, 06 7:14 pm
mrfletchersevil

Hey i'm applying to Masters programs too but don't have a background in architecture so i may be talking out of my ass here but as long as you have a kick ass portfolio you have a chance of getting in. At least that seems to be the case from what i've gathered. You're "bad" GPA being 15 years old is probably beneficial if you can demonstrate increased effort recently (like ur recent 4.oo gpa!) It is probably best if you are up front about ur old gpa and address it in ur intent of purpose letter, just say you were disappointed with ur previous academic performance and look forward to challenging yourself in "the competitive environment that exist at harvard" or whatever.

Oct 5, 06 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

MFE,

Thanks for the opinion. Good luck with your applications.

Oct 8, 06 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

I cannot speak to your chances with those schools specifically, but I do think your background can work to your advantage. Grad schools are not just looking for students with undergrad degrees in architecture, nor are the just looking for people straight out of school. I think your previous experience in other fields combined with a portfolio and statement of purpose that ties everything together could really put you ahead of the typical student.

Good luck, like I said hard to know what your chances are...but I think that your past experience can only make you standout, which is a good thing.

Oct 8, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: