Archinect
anchor

Which direction? >-

futureinthepast

I hear peer mentoring can be quite informative, so here it goes.
I am in a rut. I have been in the traditional practice of architecture since 1998. From that time until now I have acquired a Master of Architecture degree and have completed 6 of the 9 ARE. I am also heavily active in the AIA on a national level and lead many local AIA initiatives. I am driven, dedicated, passionate, and empathetic. I have acquired many skills through the years from hand rendering, 2D and 3D computer rendering, leadership, and I know AutoCAD inside and out. I currently derive details, research products, create the initial design and images, present to owners, collaborate with consultants, produce graphic art for the firm, and draft till my arms cramp up. I have also worked on several building types and have assisted many architects in the management of projects. Alas, I have not had the opportunity to actually manage my own project - which is one of the many reasons for this post.

Recently I have explored other firms through interviews. I was actually given an offer, but was not keen relocating to the city the firm resided in. I have interviewed with large 300+ people firms to the one man show. Through it all, I have attained a good understanding of what I want to do, but I'm not sure how to get there. Most of the firms called me back for a second interview. At each interview or during a follow up I asked for criticism of my portfolio, presentation, and skills. The comments are as follows: Gorgeous work, very articulate and put together, very passionate, need to see more of your detailing skills, too active in the AIA, do some competitions, drop the school work and focus on actual projects, etc.

My feelings are that my employer is too traditional for my tastes. I am forward thinking and enjoy being on the cutting edge. I have tried to pursue firms that I feel share my tastes (and there are more out there).

So here is the hard part, with the brief description above what should I do? How can I get the job I want? What am I doing wrong? Am I behind in my development? Am I on the right track?

Thanks to all.

Oct 3, 06 1:00 pm

sounds familiar. but it's also a tough one, especially if you're not seeing the opportunity to do more design-y work in a firm in the city where you are. (probably in the middle of the midwest?) short of moving to a coast and working for the same/less $$$ in a more expensive cost-of-living, you might have to settle or just keep pushing from the inside.

on the project management front, if you've tried to get into it have been held back, it's time to ask some questions of yourself and your employer. with the experience you've got, there's no reason you shouldn't be managing your own project unless there are 1) personality issues, 2) time-management issues, or 3) organization issues. could it be that they've identified one of these issues in you? or think they have? you can try to set them straight, maybe?

Oct 3, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

perhaps i'm mis-reading your post (though i've gone through it a few times), but you seem to focused pretty tightly on discrete skills, perhaps at the detriment of identifying and pursuing your passion(s) in architecture?

another way of looking at it - once you've reached the PM plateau - then what?

Oct 3, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I'm surprised that your firm hasn't pushed you into a project management position to support your yearly salary increases, unless you've been working at the same billable rate since 1998 (which is unrealistic).

Firms generally seem hungrier for project-management-worker-bees than designers - but perhaps that's my recent increasingly cynical bias talking. Like el jeffe, I'm not sure from your post if you'd rather be a project manager or designer. Once you figure it out, each and every step you take should support your end goal.

It could be easier to move to another firm that does different work than to move to a similar firm to perform a different job function.

A final thought... an interviewer once told me that while I exhibited strong professionalism, I did not demonstrate an ability to problem-solve. I was shocked but had already determined that the firm was not a good fit for me. No harm, no foul. My point is that your post indicates that you have many professional talents, but what are your strengths as an architect that set you apart from the field?

Oct 3, 06 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Steven - check out futureinthepast's profile...

Oct 3, 06 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Talk to whoever you are responsible to about wanting management experience. If you put it (firmly, but politely and non-confrontationally) that, for your career, you need to manage some projects, and if you can't get that kind of experience at this practice, you will need to look elsewhere. When you took the job at your current place, you didn't sign up for life, and they knew that.

Having laid it out like that, start looking around. If you get a good offer from your current practice, go with that, but if not, make a firm decision for yourself that you're leaving, and do it.

From your description (of yourself!) someone will want you.

Oct 3, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
futureinthepast

Thanks to all for your responses. I really appreciate you taking the time.

Just a few comments and extra info.

In response to S. Ward’s post; I think you are right on with your comments. There could be a personality conflict that I am not aware of. During a review I cited three sets of goals; a set for 5 years and a long term (15+ years) set. In the long term set one of my employers scoffed at my desire to be an owner or partner in a firm. This one employer and I seem not to meet eye to eye. It isn’t that we argue or that there is tension between us; it’s more of the employer thinking I should behave/act in a certain way. To make it more clear, I think the employer might think I should be subservient and accept what the firm gives me – i.e. don’t question authority. As for the points on time management or organizational skills; during that same interview their comments to me were that I have a strong work ethic and am well organized.

El Jeffe, very insightful comments. I agree that I have focused on more discreet skills like rendering, graphics, verbal presentation, and CAD usage. I guess my thoughts were to make myself a desirable employee. Now I should be looking into broader skills that would enhance my management, financial, and building skills. Though it is a start, my national AIA involvement has begun to enhance my networking, leadership, presentation, advocacy, and financial skills. Any other skills you think I should begin acquiring?
To the question of “ . . . after PM – then what?” I guess I see the PM position as my next step, perhaps I should look past that? I honestly don’t see my career ending at the PM position.

DCA – I think you are right about determining what skills set me apart from others. I concluded the same thought after my recent series of interviews. What I lacked was the “sales pitch.” The one thing that would make these interviewers want me to work for them. This concept I will look deep into and hopefully narrow it down.
Could you define your version of a Designer? My version varies – either it is a non-registered architect (abilities beyond an Architectural Intern/Intern Architect, but can’t call themselves “Architect” by law – in Ohio no derivative of Architect can be used so all interns are known as Designers) or it is an non-registered or register architect that is charged with design responsibilities within a firm.

agfa8x, I have tried, though I have not been as persistent as I should be. During my recent review I mentioned that I would like more PM experiences. My employers thought that I have and cited some projects I am in-charge of. Though, these projects have not come to fruition and they have been vary sparse through the years I have worked for my employers. I acknowledge these projects and encouraged them to give me more consistent experience in managing projects. They genuinely seemed to understand but reserved not to make any promises.

In total:
I will pursue speaking with the managers I work under to get their feed back and criticism. I plan to finish my exams and become LEED certified before stepping out again for interviews.

Thanks again for all your thoughts, it is most appreciated.

Oct 4, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: