Archinect
anchor

Looking for a Graduate School

archMONSTER

Well... Im currently a senior completing my BSD at ASU.

So here is what I am looking for:

A 2 year program that is respectable perferably in the east coast. NYC area would be nice due to family there.

Thanks guys.

Sep 19, 06 9:12 pm
morgan2sims

columbia

Sep 19, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
Mc Taco

Columbia is a 3 year program. I've checked :)

ASU offers a 2 year graduate program that I am happy with, I just want to see other options that are out tehre.

Sep 19, 06 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

Most of the east cost schools are 3 years but I know a former ASU student that just started at Columbia and another one that is at Yale. I went to ASU and am now at Rice studying in Paris this semester. I would look at U Penn, Wash in St. Louis and UVA in addition to the New York schools. Keep in mind that even though you have a BSD in arch that you will probably have to do 3 years at the east coast schools (there might be some exceptions). Now that I think about it, one classmate of mine ended up going to Syracuse and that might be two years. Are you in Mark Ryan's class this semester? I worked for him over the summer.

Anyways, most of my friends from ASU ended up at west coast schools such as SCI-Arc, UCLA or Oregon and a couple of us are at Rice and UT Austin. It just depends on what will work best financially, logistically and simply what interests you more as many schools are more practical, theoretical or computer based. My advice is to go to a different school than ASU to learn new ways of thinking especially since ASU has given you a strong foundation to build on.

Sep 20, 06 5:32 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

why the rush into grad school?
chill for a few years.
have a life.
work.
play.
relax.

then when you finally do go back and graduate with $100K+ in loans, you will be earn enough to make the payments.

why be so predictable with your school choices? being an architect student doesn't make you a sheep where you follow the crowd. look off the beaten trail and you'll find better eductation and better values. look to university of ND or Iowa State....

Sep 21, 06 11:26 am  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

Avoiding being like everyone else is just as bad as being a sheep because you do everything in reaction to the other sheep.

I do agree that you should take some time off between undergrad and grad.

Sep 21, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

[Now that I think about it, one classmate of mine ended up going to Syracuse and that might be two years. Are you in Mark Ryan's class this semester? I worked for him over the summer. ]

Yea Mark Ryan is my professor this semester. We all just came back from a 4 day trip to New Orleans and are currently working on affordable prefab housing. Check out our school blog by a fellow student. There are a lot of positives happening at ASU's architecture program.

Honestly I dont have any loans out, Ive been on scholarships ever since. Everyone says you should wait a year work and do all that but honestly I dont want to waste a year of my life in between if Im going to be doing the same thing after my masters. Now if I take a year off... and go to a 3+ school... thats going to be 4 years. 4 years stuck in the system. ASU offers a 2 year program and if Id go else where Id like to do the same.I just want to go right through the system so I can have a life, work, play and relax. School is prohibiting all these things. I know this is the wrong attitude but practice in the real world is something totally different from acadameia. We are all not designing museums when we get out. Im a total supporter of school and the aspects we get out of it and use it in the real world, its just I wish school leaned in towards everyday practice and thats if its even doing Walgreens.

Sep 21, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

[Now that I think about it, one classmate of mine ended up going to Syracuse and that might be two years. Are you in Mark Ryan's class this semester? I worked for him over the summer. ]

Yea Mark Ryan is my professor this semester. We all just came back from a 4 day trip to New Orleans and are currently working on affordable prefab housing. Check out our school blog by a fellow student. There are a lot of positives happening at ASU's architecture program.

Honestly I dont have any loans out, Ive been on scholarships ever since. Everyone says you should wait a year work and do all that but honestly I dont want to waste a year of my life in between if Im going to be doing the same thing after my masters. Now if I take a year off... and go to a 3+ school... thats going to be 4 years. 4 years stuck in the system. ASU offers a 2 year program and if Id go else where Id like to do the same.I just want to go right through the system so I can have a life, work, play and relax. School is prohibiting all these things. I know this is the wrong attitude but practice in the real world is something totally different from acadameia. We are all not designing museums when we get out. Im a total supporter of school and the aspects we get out of it and use it in the real world, its just I wish school leaned in towards everyday practice and thats if its even doing Walgreens.

Sep 21, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

I agree as to why you would want to do a 2 year program rather than a 3 year program.

I waited a year and don't regret it at all or consider it a waste as I am in a better position to work after grad school due to the connections I made in that year off. Ultimately you have to figure out what will work best for you. A year really isn't that much and if you are 23 you are younger than most people in grad school anyway.

Sep 22, 06 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you may not design museums but you probably wont be designing prefab housing either.

Sep 22, 06 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

Retro I dont really care if Im designing toliets in the middle of Mexico. I want to be an licensed architect designing toilets in Mexico. Im 21 at the moment and Im in a rush to live life, to live reality, to have a family. There is a boundary between academia and reality and I want to cross it. I want to learn so much more about architecture that school is withdrawing me to do. I want to know how a building is constructed from the intial client meetings to handing the keys over. I had a taste of that during my internship during the summer and thats what I want to do.

You can come back at me with all your silly comments that make you feel like a better architect behind you keyboard, but I want a life!

Sep 23, 06 12:03 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

If all you want is to get licensed quickly then why not stay at ASU - no hassle and distraction of moving, learning about a new place, building a new social network, etc.

If you want an adventure (which I highly recommend be a concious component of your grad school experience, but that's just my own opinion), then figure out where you might want to live after you graduate and go there. Contacts you make in school and living in the city where you want to work can help - I worked with very few people in Philly who didn't graduate from Penn or Drexel.

Or if you ar really, [i]really[/i[ in a hurry to get licensed, research which states will allow you to take exams concurrent with IDP, move there for school, start working during school to build your professional network and ensure you'll have a job upon graduation, and get the license super-quick.

It sounds to me like you don't really care what school you go to, as long as it is respectable enough and fast, so you might want to condier all the other issues around getting licensed fast and make your decision that way.

Sep 23, 06 12:19 am  · 
 · 

lb, as always, has the best advice.

as far as living, things don't get much less hectic once you finish school. you may not have any more time in an office than you have now, so why not start living your life NOW..

btw, taking time off between degrees is very valuable. is why all the kids in the uk are required to do their year out between part I and part II. hell take three. won't do you a bit of harm.

Sep 23, 06 12:32 am  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

Thanks Liberty.

You are totally right on staying with ASU for a hassle free way out and it is my best bet. In all honesty I dont know if I like it here in Arizona anymore. Like you said you make your connections during graduate school and will end up working where you graduate. Im originally from NY and its just a different way of life here. Our studio went to New Orleans for four days and the culture brings me back home. I sometimes forget the beauty of culture and the meaning of having a neighbor, maybe it is because I force myself to forget. Here in Phoenix/Scottsdale area people have a different attitude towards life. I hate to generalize and Im not saying everyone one is like this here, but MOST people live fake lives with their BMWs on their driveways right next to their palm trees and their stupid river rock decorations. Am I envious? No. I live in this sprawling hell hole of a neighborhood and there is a Benz on my driveway. Im tired of the fake faces, the palm trees and the fake boobs. There is no culture here in Phoenix.

Am I wrong to feel this way? Am I?

This is why I want to go to a different school.

Sep 23, 06 12:59 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

not a comeback at you, just a comment that the design of modular prefab "architectural" housing is for the most part an academic exercise carried out by architecture professors . prefab and the industry of manufactured housing is not about design at all. in fact, the less design the better. ie no engineering, as few nails as necessary etc. it aint pretty.

Sep 23, 06 1:03 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Amoroso, I get you - I grew up in Scottsdale and while my sister never wanted to leave (and hasn't) I couldn't wait to get my degree (UofA) and get the hell out to someplace - anyplace- else. My attitude was even if I didn't like the next place I could stand pretty much ANYWHERE for two years, so I ended up in Michigan. Then I followed a boy to Philly and believe me, in my experience, on the eastern seaboard it is MUCH harder to get into a network community when you haven't gone to school there. One of the big east/west differences to me is that out west everyone IS from somewhere else, so it doesn't matter so much what your background is. In the east it does matter - that's MY broad sweeping overgeneralization. So if you're thinking about going east anyway, makes sense to go to school there.

Sep 23, 06 8:33 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Just as a note to the actual question. There are two guys from ASU in my year at Penn. They only got to skip one semester. Few people get to skip a whole year. There were a few girls from Korea and people from the Penn undergrad program. But that's it. In general it's 2.5-3.5 for everyone else. On a side note, most of our critics are from NYC, so actually if you make any connections, it's typically with NYC people. But as far as I could tell from talking to classmates, most people were on their own.

Sep 23, 06 9:59 am  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

From the way you are describing it, I don't get the impression that you even care about your graduate education above and beyond getting a degree so you can layout toliets on a plan.

What are you interested in? If you want a more practical school then go to Texas A&M or some boring school like that. You have the chance with an education to do stuff that you normally wouldn't get to do in a firm. Embrace that oppurtunity. Seriously though, if you are going to spend a lot of money on a graduate education, make sure it is the right choice for you.

As far as Phoenix having no culture, thats just not true. It's not New York, but there is a lot, its just spread out. It has a strong connection with Mexico and the arts scene is getting bigger. The Phoenix Art musuem is expanding (Mark can tell you all about it since he is working on it with Tod Willams and Bille Tsien) and there is lots of renovation happening downtown. My advice is to get out of Scottsdale and really understand what Phoenix has to offer before you miss the oppurtunity.

Sep 23, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my mom lives in mesa. this is her idea of culture!

Sep 23, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

Delug,

I care very much for where I want to go in life. As far as Arizona, there is culture, I agree with you, every city has culture, but its a culture that I dont care for. Arizona is a beautiful state, there are a lot of things Arizona has that others don’t, but I can live without them. Have I learned a lot from living here? You better believe it. I am not bashing the state or anybody else. I will admit it is a beautiful state and recommend people to come out here to live. Im not trying to respond in a negative way but I do want a good education for myself, perferablly in 2 years and somewhere in the east coast. It is not only that I want to experience culture again. I want to experience a different discipline and attitude towards architecture from west to east. Again sorry if I offended anyone, I didnt intend too, its just my personal at the moment rant.

Sep 23, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

No hard feelings, it just seemed as though you didn't care about the actual education part above and beyond just getting through it. My advice is to talk to the teachers at ASU and find what schools are relatively close to your family and start from there. Don't underestimate yourself and apply to a range of schools that also include the best ones out there. ASU has out you in a strong position to move on.

As far as Phoenix, every city has its faults and it’s just not for everyone but I'm glad you've gotten something out of being there. One great thing about it though is that I keep learning new stuff about it even after 12 years. I personally don't plan on living in Houston past grad school but there is a lot I can and have learned from it.

Sep 25, 06 5:31 am  · 
 · 
chaptertwo

cincinnati is 2 years. at least look into it. They are making some good moves.
Design intelligence seems to think they are the most innovative program out there. But what do ranking really mean? prolly not much.

Sep 25, 06 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: