Archinect
anchor

getting that dream job

so. i've got about 2 years before I'll actually be looking for a "real" job, and I'm curious if anyone out here has any tips. How do you get a job at a place with natural light in the office, and windows that open, and no cubes, and a coherant company philosophy, and a dedication to and respect for their employees. a company shower and bike parking. is it too much to ask? do these places exist?

Sep 12, 06 11:10 pm
citizen

At the risk of being obvious...

1) Make yourself a very desirable hire: Impressive portfolio; diverse technical skills; good communication ability, written and verbal; reputation for being a hard worker (via letters of recommendation; even good grooming and appearance. Being an attractive job candidate should translate into having more choices available to you.

2) Go out and find the firms that look and sound great to work for (they exist) and apply. Check back, be polite, dress up for the interview.

Two years is plenty of time for this kind of preparation and planning. Good luck!

Sep 12, 06 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
jonathanharper

start your own practice?

Sep 13, 06 7:25 am  · 
 · 

these places do exist, but some of the things you're asking about will only be known via word of mouth. circulate among the other young architects in your area.

one way to do this (flame shield up) is to join the aia - even if only as an associate member. your current firm might even pay your way, if you express an interest. (flame shield down.)

once you are moving in circles with other young people, you'll be able to compare notes over beer. find out about the work environment, the boss' temperament, the presence of showers, the benefits policies, etc.

Sep 13, 06 7:50 am  · 
 · 
xray

if you do find such a job, do tell.
we'll all be checking this thread again two years from now.

Sep 13, 06 8:06 am  · 
 · 
cvankle

They do exist, however there is a tradeoff. Big, cube happy firms also make big money because they can handle larger, corporate clients. The dream firm you are describing would probably be a smaller firm, which typically means they have less money to offer you in the first place. If they are also an very attractive place to work then they may be able to offer less money just because they know they will still have people looking to work there.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, but do be aware that there is an unfortunate correlation...
small firm=less money, better work environment, better projects
large firm=more money, less interesting projects, cubeville office

This is obviously a generalization, I'm sure there are firms out there that pay well and have all the attributes you mentioned above. But by in large I think you will find what I've said to be the case.

Sep 13, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

have you interned anywhere yet? you don't have to wait 2 years to discover that you most likely won't find all of these in one place. You will need time to figure out which you can compromise on and which you can't live without

Sep 13, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
ochona

it's good that you know what you want. in the meantime, get internships and as citizen said, make yourself attractive. that way you can hopefully get what you want in two years. don't expect to get it now, or rather, don't turn away an internship just because you don't get what you want now.

Sep 13, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i work in an office with natural light, open windows and even 2 office dogs. sure its a small firm. but i get paid well

Sep 13, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

i fear natural light, i feel safe in my work cave

Sep 14, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

we have too much goddamn natural light.so much freakin glare its unbearable for me with my sensitive(but pretty) eyes. i'd love a cubicle in the basement.

Sep 14, 06 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

i'm in an all female office. the most architectural magazine in the studio is AD (architecture & decoration). I'm starting to lose my computer-driven rationalist hard edge. I need out. A hard nosed, sciovinistic, testosterone driven architectural office. Zaha, where are you?

Sep 14, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: