Archinect
anchor

when you're working with a design principal...

proto

when you're working with a design principal and s/he's got a particular idea s/he keeps mentioning but does not draw it up, do you ignore it and publish your own ideas at each internal pinup?

fess up...

Jul 20, 04 4:03 pm
Ormolu

If she's "mentioning" them to you, are you expected to be drawing them up, and/or modifying whatever you've been showing her to more accurately reflect her "particular idea"?
You'd know better than anyone else here what your particular role is in this firm, and what the usual working procedure is there.

If it is typical for each person to draw up only their own ideas and to wait for an "internal pinup" to sort them out/winnow them down then carry forth with your own work. If on the other hand it is customary in that firm to produce what you're being directed (whether explicitly or subtly) to produce then consider that it's better to do that.

If you're too new to know which to do then following this principal's ideas, or at least allowing your work to be strongly influenced by them, is a good way to go for now.

Jul 20, 04 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

in-ter-nal.....pin-up???

of what do you speak?! are you mad?!

Jul 20, 04 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

We have regular internal workshops / design reviews with work attached to the steel wall of our conference rooms with magnets. Design development and team critique are all part of the process (going back to student studio crits).

I am currently working with the principal, who is also my mentor, on an urban design study. I take on board his ideas and develop the possible solutions accordingly. If it gets to the stage where design becomes a direct instruction to carry out contrary to your interpretation of the brief, then include the ideas, pin up your work and slate it. If your augments are good then your boss will concede.

Always ask the important questions that need to be asked, regardless of the office structure. They will respect you for it.

Jul 20, 04 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

give them a twinkie, punch them in the neck, and keepn truckin...it has worked every time for me.

Jul 20, 04 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

is that to keep you unemployable?

Jul 20, 04 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
proto

my m.o. so far has been to promote my ideas or those of the strongest conceptual promise that we discuss when pinning up. but it just bugs me when someone clearly doesn't feel like taking the first step in discovering whether an idea has basic merit and continues to promote it without any internal agreement or even substantial backup.

i guess i should mention that i'm not an intern here (i'm licensed), and i don't have a draftsman working for me (small office). i don't have a lot of time to chase my tail on an idea that isn't clear and therefore can't be investigated clearly.

Jul 20, 04 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

proto your dilema sounds familiar to me. i worked in an office where i assumed that the guy i was working for would be the design leader so to speak in the office and i, through my skills and interpretation, would bring out, flesh out his design and thus create a dialogue between us. well that never worked out, he leaned on us in the office to create and then he would respond, not what i was expecting. i left, i felt that it was not my name on the door why should i do what i liked and then leave him to take credit for that work....

Jul 20, 04 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: