Archinect
anchor

has anyone seen Archinect

go do it

i seem to have stumbled into some kind of student school hunting twilight zone world

no offense intended 

but where is the good stuff 

Apr 3, 12 10:36 pm
Janosh

It's down there somewhere.

Let me take another look.

Apr 3, 12 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes, things have changed...

Apr 4, 12 12:34 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Hasn't been the same since '08...wonder why...

Apr 4, 12 12:49 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

Amen to that.

I know we can filter the topics, but I hope I can filter out just THAT.

Apr 4, 12 8:44 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Academia button to the left has its own 'Forum'. Why can't academia stay in its own room? The cigar lounge smells of diapers and urine. Not good. Not good.

Apr 4, 12 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Isn't "Thread Central" kind of an ad hoc response to the big shift (mostly, decline) in the rest of the discussion forum?  There's always an adaptation....

Apr 4, 12 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Dani Zoe

Hopefully it will die down in a few weeks, after they all select a school. Maybe next year archinect could give those applying a special place somewhere else so the forum can remain free?

Apr 4, 12 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
a mouse

i tend to think that Thread Central is part of the problem, in that it's become a sub-forum on its own. Plenty of interesting architecture talk goes on in there, but it apears a little opaque to those of us interested 'nect readers who don't engage on the same personal/social level.

Apr 4, 12 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Thread Central stopped issuing new memberships back in 2007. You can still come and visit, but it is more like Dave Chapelle walking into the bar at 'Cheers'. Awkward.

Apr 5, 12 11:48 am  · 
 · 

YOU ONLY SEE WHAT YOU SPEAK.

Apr 5, 12 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
job job

has anyone seen Archinect:

I don't go to Thread Central for fear of my eyes-for-mouths. It  is a silly place where people congratulate each other for their lifestyle choices and use words like 'coolio'. Actually, the revised website design now has a news section that is fantastic. I also think practices like Axis Mundi and Yaohua Wang are doing really well to launch their work on the new site.

But I think it great that students are still looking at architecture as a viable education and profession. You'll be so lost, so sorry, when that's gone.

Apr 5, 12 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Looking forward to the new "block this user" feature. 

Apr 5, 12 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
job job

who, me? I think I'm usually fair and reasonable. Are you someone I've personally offended? My apologies 

Apr 5, 12 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

I think he's talking about me.

Which is funny because deconstructionist and post-modernist architectural theory relies heavily on memetics as a foundational pier of its existence yet cannot stand the banal, pedestrian real-world application of memes.

Apr 5, 12 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Oh no, you're fine. Just a general commentary about the state of the site. I agree that the news/editorial section is a great asset with some very talented contributors and informative articles.  

Apr 5, 12 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Well, I hope this 'block user' button is named 'rusty-out'. I earned it!

Apr 5, 12 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
job job

I remember you two w different noms de plume. Rusty Nail ('dancing hitler zombie') and something like Captain McFlashypants (Mussolini's House) - is that close?

Apr 5, 12 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I've been 'steelstuds', 'rustystuds', 'Rusty!', and 'NOT Rusty' and this one. That's it.

James has a lot more colorful history.

Apr 5, 12 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

-

Apr 5, 12 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

it is a silly place where people congratulate each other for their lifestyle choices and use words like 'coolio'

you just described pretty much any online forum/blog - especially those horrible lifestyle sites..  archinect isn't as bad....  although, I think there was a lot more of this on the regular forums before the economy went to shit.  I haven't seen any "what brand shoes/glasses/pasties do architects wear?" threads in a while.

i tend to think that Thread Central is part of the problem, in that it's become a sub-forum on its own. Plenty of interesting architecture talk goes on in there, but it apears a little opaque to those of us interested 'nect readers who don't engage on the same personal/social level.

like a european city, archinect gets less opaque once you've been around for a while.  also like those interesting-looking people you see constantly at the cafe, you'll quickly realize that TC regulars are really just a bunch of sad alcoholics.

Apr 5, 12 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Archinect has changed and that's to be expected. I have met a few good people from the forum and hired them to do work for me and as instructors in the program.

As Chair of a small, well-funded, quality program at a Community College, I make connections in many places now and I have enjoyed the ones I met through this forum. (I just met the Dean of the program at Cal-Poly Pomona from my Schindler queries.)

I don't spend as much time here as I used to but I have a lot more going on than I did in 2008.

Please say hello!

Cheers,

William

Apr 5, 12 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

Historically the discussion forum gets flooded with academic threads in March and April... and if this year is like previous years, those threads will start waning soon.

Archinect is not just the discussion forum - check out the news, features, blogs, firms, people, schools, and JOBS! There have been tons of new jobs posted recently.

Oh, and check out the new iPhone app.

We do have plans to start implementing features in the forum to help make it more usable to our wide range of user-types. No date at the moment for when that will be ready. But, ultimately, a discussion forum is what the users make of it. The "this forum is sucking" comments have been regularly posted since we launched the forum 13 years ago, so we take those with a grain of salt... but we're also open to suggestions sent to us via email. We take all feedback seriously as we continually evolve the website.

Apr 5, 12 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Paul,

Can I do a feature on some of the work I am doing with my students??

Wm

Apr 5, 12 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

William - we always love publishing stories about student work. Please send me an email with more info. Thanks!

Apr 5, 12 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

Which is funny because deconstructionist and post-modernist architectural theory relies heavily on memetics as a foundational pier of its existence yet cannot stand the banal, pedestrian real-world application of memes.

James you crack me up.

The school choice tide will ebb soon and return next spring.  I never click on any of those threads, but I enjoy the dependability of it, though perhaps job job you're calling me out by implying some people here are less than totally convinced that students should be considering architecture as a career choice at all these days? Guilty.

On the other hand it is shocking how many new job postings are going up! Hooray!

Apr 5, 12 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

speaking of TC being a bunch of alcoholics, it's derby time again!: 

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/37043/derby-time

Apr 6, 12 7:01 am  · 
 · 

coolio ! 

(such a great non-word).

thread central is not a problem.  maybe is confusing a bit,but never a problem.  just differently normal. 

seems to be the place where people hang who don't hide behind anonymous names too.  maybe that changes the tone a bit.  keeps it more social....

Apr 6, 12 7:52 am  · 
 · 

I'm fully on-board with TC being a bunch of alcoholics, too.* Coolio.

*This is the kind of hyperbole I use on TC because I know it won't be misunderstood.  When I address serious questions on other threads, under my real name BTW, I do try to be serious and helpful.  I just don't really have any interest in school decisions or portfolio reviews; I'm more interested in practice questions.  And LOLcatitecture posts, of course.

Apr 6, 12 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: