Archinect
anchor

In-the-Closet or Out-of-the-Closet?

Nevermore

This thread needs vindpust

Sep 11, 06 1:58 am  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

an architect, but mainly interested in flamenco dancing and sex on weekends.

Sep 11, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

"Architect" has a nice zing to it.

"What you're a coding & billing analyst, well I'm an architect"

No explanantion necessary. It goes well with the monosyllabic answers I like to give.

Sep 11, 06 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I always get a surprised look. Not sure why...? "...Oh! Wow!" (then awkward silence while I watch them closely.)

Sep 11, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Nah. Freelance Biscuit Designer...or Crowd Estimator....yeah, that'll confuse the hell out of em!

Sep 12, 06 8:57 am  · 
 · 
assbackward

I tell people I've just met, and my parents' friends, that I'm just starting as an architecture student, and explain to them how long it takes, and that it will be at least another half-dozen years until I can call myself an architect. Inevitably, five minutes later, that person will say to someone else, "assbackward's an architect," as if the years-long process I just spent five minutes explaining is already over, and it's as easy to become an architect as it is to become a real-estate agent or something.

Sep 18, 06 2:12 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Funny, I went to a party Thursday night, and in the span of five minutes, got three of those ridiculous comments: the 'smart' one, the 'math' one and one that severely oversimplifies the profession (I forget the specifics now - I pretty much started daydreaming after the 'smart' comment).
By the way, the correct reply to the 'you must be smart' comment really is 'Yes, I am', but I've not had the nerve yet to actually use it.

Sep 18, 06 11:39 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

im sure the people sitting next to liberty,wonderk and me were all impressed by our name dropping of famous people that we have encountered along the way. did you notice we were talking louder then?

Sep 18, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 

if you weren't talking about britney, christina, justin, or jessica they probably weren't impressed.

Sep 18, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

we were droppin some huuuuuuuge names steven.

Sep 18, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Don't kid yourself, vado: those people sitting near us don't care that Thom Mayne's house was in the movie Heat, they just got quiet when they heard us talking about breasts.

Sep 18, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
ferd

did someone say breasts?

Sep 18, 06 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

WHERE!?

Sep 18, 06 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am not going to post a video of the milkshake song.

Sep 18, 06 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England
Sep 18, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

I have to be very careful who I tell I'm an architect, because invariably it ends up getting me laid...

Sep 19, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Sep 20, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

im not into bald chicks!

Sep 20, 06 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

why isn't that pic on the hipster chick thread???? did you find them down at the trader joes?

Sep 20, 06 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i think it's great that people have friends outside the profession, can you tell me what that's like or how i can find them too??

Sep 20, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

Totally out of the closet and proud cause it took so much effort.

Trace, that what you said is really cool, but somehow sounds too much otherworldly
Quite often when I say I am an architect I get the “…oh I always wanted to be one but could have never been able to be so patient making those tiny scale model parts or such complex graph pen drawings pulling all/niters, you guys are so dedicated and meticulous!…”, which in general makes me feel good.

Otherwise I get a downward look away mostly from people that actually make money and know that architects in my environment DON’T AT ALL

The first one is better

Sep 21, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: