Archinect
anchor

Architect's Union

modularnyc

How come there isnt such a thing? How come a carpenter gets paid time and a half for overtime, while we dont?

How come we work later hours without getting compensated?

How come everybody needs an architect, yet we dont have the respect that we deserve?

How come there are cad monkeys who think they are architects?

Sep 4, 06 11:35 pm
vado retro
swisscardlite

I don't think that will happen anytime soon at the state architecture is in right now because it doesn't work.

Sep 5, 06 12:30 am  · 
 · 
Taesung

Most states (if not all) have rules regarding overtime. I.e. California, 1.5 x hourly pay for anything over 8 hours in a workday and anything over a 40 hour work week for those on wages. For salary, it is comp time.

Check your state, and if your employer is taking advantage of you let him know.

Sep 5, 06 12:59 am  · 
 · 
modularnyc

Ok I thought I would try. Somebody on the other post said that Architects union = legalized mafia. I was watching a special on the sicilian mafia this weekend and....i wouldnt mind an architects mafia....

Sep 5, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
modularnyc

the sopranos using autocad
link

Sep 5, 06 8:42 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

Not saying that I totally agree but, the AIA Guide to Professional Practice says (and I'm paraphrasing here) that Architects are professionals that protect society and safeguard life. This is not unlike doctors and lawyers who heal and make laws to protect life & property. Doctors, Lawyers, and Architects all share these things: Extensive schooling, Internship/Apprenticeships periods, and Rigorous testing in order to obtain licensure. Licensure is an indication of being a professional, therefore reflects a salaried wage, in spite of overtime, etc.

As we all know, doctors and lawyers earn incredible salaries while we scrape along. The issue is that architecture and design in this country are largely seen as a commodity in which the lowest bidder wins. In order to win jobs, most architects will reduce their fees. Clients and Developers know this (it's even taught in development seminars!!!) and will put architects in competition with each other to reduce their fees to reduce cost to the client. Reduced fees = reduced salaries/wages.

Sep 5, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: