Archinect
anchor

Cures for Insomnia?

tman

Lately I've been unable to sleep. Maybe at the most an hour or two a night (which hardly feels like sleep at all). I'm not getting any work done, i'm just a mindless drone right now. I'm excited to work, but somehow nothing ever comes out of my many many trials and errors. I think I maybe really stressed and overthinking everything in my life right now. I'm not depressed, like I said I get very inspired and excited to do work and I've just moved to New York (a long time dream of mine).

I'm sure many have experienced this, and am wondering if there's any sleeping pills/exercise methods/music/etc that I could try to get some much needed slumber.

Thanks in advance

Sep 4, 06 3:10 am
farmer

short,shallow,regular,deep breathing (I know 'shallow' and 'deep' sound like a contradiction: I don't know how else to describe it)

also helps to have the radio on very very low. don't move at all. force yourself to remain very still and limp in the bed if you want to toss from side to side.

this always works for me and I have had insomnia for a number of years, however it may not work for anyone else. good luck.

Sep 4, 06 4:28 am  · 
 · 
Schnurrbart

Warm bath, warm milk (yuck, but it works!), lavender, no TV, boring book, sounds of the ocean CD...

Sep 4, 06 11:21 am  · 
1  · 
maya mcdifference

architecture school

Sep 4, 06 12:38 pm  · 
1  · 
bostonbaby314

Melatonin- its a sleep supplement you take half an hour before you want to go to sleep. It works great.

Sep 5, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
notone-co

I heard the best thing you have to do is delete all visual stimuli an hour or two before you go to bed.

TV or surfing the web causes your brain to become restless and will not let your brain unwind.

The breathing is also a good thing, if you are feeling restless simple meditation works for me too.

Sit in a comfortable chair or any position you feel fully comfortable, no need for flying grasshopper or some other crazy move. Sit and focus on your breath passing through your lungs and out, trying to only focus on the breath and air.

Red wine I think has malatonin, like turkey on thanksgiving, so start DRINKING. I do not think if alcoholics have trouble sleeping.

Sep 5, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis
Sep 5, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ive always found repetition very soothing... for me, i lay in bed and strum my guitar, usually one song, or set of chords i enjoy the sound of... the repetition of the act relaxes me and i always fall asleep faster after that.
also, i think its helpful to get into a rhythem as far as sleeping goes... as much as possible get a routine... go to bed at the same time as often as possible... every night, read for an hour, or sketch, or listen to music, then go to bed... having a routine at the end of the day has always been helpful for me too

Sep 5, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you can try writing any thoughts you're having before you go to sleep...in my experience the thoughts are usually what keeps me awake...i figured writing them down would remove them from my head...

also when you lie down...while eyes closed, consciously relax each part of your body...think about relaxing your neck...then your arms and so on...

replace your sheets as much as you can with clean cool cotton ones

Sep 5, 06 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
bntz

lettuce tea, brings the sandman right away

Sep 5, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

IT IS A SCIENTIFIC FACT MEN FALL ASLEEP AFTER SEX.....PRACTICE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!

Sep 5, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Sep 5, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

weed

Sep 5, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i mean, that's what i used in school.

Sep 5, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the problems some people have.....

Sep 5, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
tman

well tonight i'm planning a good nap, i've been high for a few hours, and will have a couple glasses of wine. Wish me luck, i'll report back tomorrow. Hopefully more than 8 hours, since i'm going to be soon!

Sep 5, 06 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

reading this post...

Sep 5, 06 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
binary

lay in bed and try to levitate.... focus is the key.... then you'll be out...

works for me......

Sep 5, 06 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
Murrye

i, too, have insomnia problems. and i just moved to new york as well. however, i don't think it has anything to do with new york, which i love, as i had the problems prior to moving here.

my suggestion? ambien. with alcohol. always does the trick.

Sep 6, 06 2:08 am  · 
 · 
doberman

i'm a really bad sleeeper and i know how horrible it is not to feel properly rested. i experience problems to fall asleep and i always wake up in the middle of the night. Reading and doing a crossword puzzle usually helps me to fall asleep. as other people say it's probably a good thing to avoid television and web browsing before going to sleep. i also try not to drink coffee in the afternoon because the effects of cafeine tend to last for several hours after the intake. anyway good luck, i hope you'll get over the problem, seeing a doctor might help as well if you don't get any better...

Sep 6, 06 4:18 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

ambien + alcohol = addiction

Personally, I make up fairytales in my head, usually I'm out before act II starts.

Sep 6, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Try to get regular exercise in most days. Not only does it make you more alert (especially if you exercise in the mornings b/f work or school), but it helps the sleep cycle. Also, try to eat a somewhat healthy diet - usually if you treat your body right it should return the favor. A nice warm bath or shower and a movie to unwind usually help me too.

Sep 6, 06 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
tman

well to report back...i got 8 hours! I think the stress of moving to New York, and starting classes was alittle much. But who knows, maybe tonight i'll be laying awake for 8 hours!

Sep 7, 06 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Schnurrbart

Oh, the irony....I have insomnia right now...3am - someone's car alarm went off an hour ago...can't sleep anymore...too lazy to get up too

Sep 7, 06 3:05 am  · 
 · 
pencebor

tman, I feel the same way as you do right now, I just moved to NY couple of days ago after graduating college in Michigan. I heard that it is called "after college crisis" or something, it is when you have just graduated and find about about fierce competition to get a job in your field, and everyday it is closer and closer to the end of grace period for your $200,000 loan debt, but job is no where near to be found.... to tell you the truth, as much as i hated college, i wish i had a chance to come back and really pay attention and do better job :(

Sep 7, 06 5:01 am  · 
 · 
Klaymen

funny, in college i found that when ever i was about to leave my desk i always got inspiration and when ever i started to work i felt sleepy. routeen helps! also dont eat before you go to bed... no good.

hullu jaa saunassa kuin nahka palaa

Sep 7, 06 6:23 am  · 
 · 
studiojunkee

This may sound strange but I've had the same problem for years and one of the only things that helps (besides a regular sleeping pattern which isn't going to happen) are earplugs. I am an earplug addict, I cannot sleep without them now and I've never slept so well - it's weird, I know, but they add pressure in your ears and give you a buzzing that tends to help you sleep. I had trouble with sleeping pills because who has 8 hours to sleep and when you wake up after a couple you feel like a zombie - personally sleeping pills don't knock me out period, usually just zone me for a couple hours. I've gotten 3 other intense insomniacs pleasantly addicted to earplugs as well ;-)

Earplugs and red wine, good luck.

Sep 7, 06 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
studiojunkee

Oh, forgot to mention, no, you won't sleep through your alarm w/ earplugs either because they don't really block out the noise - it's the pressure and the buzzing that helps the sleep, and when your alarm goes off it interrupts that, you won't sleep through it.

Sep 7, 06 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

interesting review on film on insomnia in Times Online

Sep 16, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

sorry, that's in the Guardian

Sep 16, 06 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

charette, weed, wine...repeat

Sep 16, 06 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]'s comment has been hidden
b3tadine[sutures]
Much simpler cure, any quondam lecture.
Feb 18, 17 3:50 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: