Archinect
anchor

help! contract administration?

morgan2sims

i'm at loss. do you know what contract administration is? if you were asked to give a brief description of your own experiences with contract administration, what would you write?

thanks so much!

Sep 1, 06 7:15 am
liberty bell

I;m sure you've reviewd it on the [url=http://www.aia.org/docs_newtitles_2005} AIA website[/url].

In my own experience: I did a small public parks project. Prepared the CD's (drawings and specs) and made them available to bidders at a print shop. When the bids came in, I reviewd them all with the Owner, made sure they all were appropriate and inclusive (i.e. comparing apples to apples), and made reccommendations to the Owner as to which I thought was the best selection - in this case they were required to go with the lowest bidders (separate primes were required by the Township's code, i.e. the Township had a separate contract with the GC, the Plumber, and the Elelctrician). The Township then signed their typical contract with each of the primes, and we moved on to CA.

Sep 1, 06 7:24 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oops sorry I screwed up the link.

Sep 1, 06 7:25 am  · 
 · 

When a client wants a building, he / she makes a contract with a builder. Under the contract, the builder is responsible for building the building in accordance with the plans and specifications, within a certain amount of time and for an agreed price. The client is responsible for paying the builder in installments as noted in the contract.
Once an architect designs a building for a client, he / she often further undertakes to administer the building contract i.e. he / she ensures that the client pays the builder on time, that the builder builds the building properly, etc. In administering the contract between client and builder, the architect is bound to act impartially with respect to both parties. The fact that the architect is paid by the client to fulfill this role should not bias the architect's judgement in any way. This 'impartial' role is almost unique...

erm... that's a very rough and ready idea about contract administration

Sep 1, 06 7:38 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

i should explain my situation. i'm a fresh graduate, wrote a letter asking for employment with a company. they replied with an application form asking me to write about my experiences with contract administration. being a fresh graduate, i only had two internships here and there. so, what should i do?

what position that requires you to be familiar with contract administration?

Sep 1, 06 7:54 am  · 
 · 

you should simply make clear to them that you don't have this experience. sounds like they're ready to put you in a sink-or-swim situation.

if you're willing to ramp up quickly, let them know that you'd like to try it. but just make it clear you haven't done it and that you'll need some mentoring.

that said, CA is one of the parts of this job that i like best.

Sep 1, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
modularnyc

CA-Construction Administration, is the phase of a project after Construction documentation. It is the process by which and architect/designer assures that the building process is followed per plan and specifications. It is also a phase where an architect or a designer can learn and see real materials and details, as opposed to just on paper. Construction administratior deals with approving samples, shopdrawings, coordination meetings, and site visits, amongst other things.

Sep 1, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

the job sounds like it needs an experienced person handling it. i'm not sure if a fresh graduate would be able to hack it. what do you think guys? they did say employment/ training though, it might mean that they would be willing to train the person.

clear and nicely put explanations, btw. thanks

Sep 1, 06 9:05 am  · 
 · 

I was put in at 'yon 'deep end' when I started out but I think it's a potentially dangerous mistake. Contract Administrations suggests knowing something about a) Contracts and b) Law. This is a topic that architecture schools should offer, though I'm not sure of the stages of Arch. education in the US (I'm from Britain).
By far the best way to learn the stuff they don't teach you at architecture school but which is actually a large part of an architect in practice's daily task is to accompany an experienced architect, initially, to things like site visits and site meetings and also to take an interest in when the're signing certificates and so on: ask questions.

Having said all the above, it's always a bit daunting when you're starting out! Don't be put off by an intimidating sounding set of questions. Be honest, but your potential employer should also be clear about what experience they're expecting so you don't waste your time either, applying for unsuitable positions. Also, they shouldn't expect a recent graduate to be an experienced Contract Administrator: that would just be silly. As someone's already said above, a willingness to learn is what you need.

Sep 1, 06 9:24 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

thanks!

Sep 1, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Experience within the CA phase is nearly impossible to fake, so it also offers many potential opportunities to look like an ass. We've all been ther. The legal implications of everything performed or not performed in this phase are sort of daunting. It's always struck me odd that the paperwork required in this phase -- the standard forms, etc. -- are simple and few in number, but the questions you'll get and decisions necessary for you to make cover an incredible amount of territory. No need to fake it, just jump in, watch and learn. Wear a hardhat, gesture at things with a big roll of drawings, have some coffee, enjoy.

Sep 1, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

If you're clear with this employer that you don't have this experience, and if they are still willing to train you and give you a shot - and if you are not the type to be easily intimidated (whether by the challenge of new experiences, or by a contractor screaming in your face) then jump in.

Many firms limit construction admin. to senior staff - and the insurance companies strongly encourage that only licensed architects perform CA and that intern-level people who are along to observe and learn be instructed not to even speak on job sites, because so much as an offhand comment to a worker can create liability for the firm.
So, it's often the most difficult area in which to gain experience (and also to get required IDP units.) So for you this could b very valuable experience to get now.

I doubt that the firm plans to throw a brand new grad with no experience onto CA alone, with no training. If they do then that's scary for the firm - but it would be the firm at risk, not you. Still, if you manage to get an interview you should ask specific questions about what you'd be working on, how you'd be trained, what the team structure is in the firm, etc.

Sep 1, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I have a buddy that at one year out of school he was responsible for the punch out at the 1993 addition / remodeling to the Salk. He told me that it was a great gig.

Sep 2, 06 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

thanks again you guys

Sep 3, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well an offhand remark that isnt documented is an offhand remark. he said/she said. i am a good denier. ask any of my ex girlfriends.

Sep 3, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: